More Not Sports: “emergency” borrowing from 401(k)

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I don't see the point, still have to pay taxes on it if you don't pay it back.

If you're going to withdraw money, just withdraw it from your Roth.

Reactions: sandwolf.sixpack

patdog

May 28, 2007
A lot of these new 401(k) withdrawal rules are only if your plan makes an amendment to allow them. With the administrative headaches and small amounts of money involved, I suspect most plans will just ignore them.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
Yeah, considering the dire shortage of retirement savings that currently exists for so many Americans to begin with, I’m generally not high on legislation that turns a 401k into an ATM.

That said, 401k accounts have traditionally had pretty strict withdrawal penalties which is a reason for some to be leery of contributing at all, and if this will give more people confidence in savings, I can get behind it. At the end of the day, $1k isn’t going to make or break someone’s retirement

Last edited:

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Most just let you get a loan anyway but limit the number you can have. We're a society of debt and it's a lower rate and peoples eyes light up not giving a crap about that 5%+ they lose on investment.

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008
I borrowed money from my traditional 401K to help with my daughter's wedding not too long ago that worked out well and I have now paid it back. While there is some lost opportunity on the money because its no longer invested when you pull it you normally get a LOT better interest rate than if you are taking a personal loan (given for a wedding there is no asset for collateral). Also the interest charged gets paid back to you and not a bank. Its definitely a good option in certain cases and if you take it out during a downtime in the market you could actually gain.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
when you pull it you normally get a LOT better interest rate than if you are taking a personal loan
Really? I'd always heard that when withdrawn that the IRS automatically taxed you a 35% penalty so for every $1000 w/drawn they penalized you $350. So maybe the interest rate paid back is better than a bank but the tax penalty $$ is gone. Correct me if I'm wrong because I don't claim to be Dave Ramsey

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008
Really? I'd always heard that when withdrawn that the IRS automatically taxed you a 35% penalty so for every $1000 w/drawn they penalized you $350. So maybe the interest rate paid back is better than a bank but the tax penalty $$ is gone. Correct me if I'm wrong because I don't claim to be Dave Ramsey
No, your company has to have a program for it, but if you are just borrowing from your 401K with a system to pay it back over time then there is no penalty and no taxation. If you don't pay it back then you would definitely have to pay taxes on it and probably a 10% penalty for early withdrawal unless its for some situation that meets an exception. 5 years is normally the maximum loan period allowed.

stateu1

Mar 21, 2016
No. You are only taxed if you do not pay it back.

patdog

May 28, 2007
He's talking about borrowing from his 401(k), not withdrawing the money. Loans aren't taxable unless they're not repaid on schedule. As for the rate, it's supposed to be a market rate so he shouldn't get any better rate than he would borrowing from a bank. In practice though, I suspect you usually get better rate from your 401(k). But you're really robbing Peter to pay Paul here. Lower interest rate on your loan = lower rate of return on your retirement savings.

Reactions: dorndawg

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Yeah, considering the dire shortage of retirement savings that currently exists for so many Americans to begin with, I’m generally not high on legislation that turns a 401k into an ATM.

That said, 401k accounts have traditionally had pretty strict withdrawal
That's a valid concern but being worried about needing the money later is also a good reason that people don't contribute as much to 401k's as they should.

I wish they would just establish something that operates like a 401k combined with deferred comp. Employees can put all of their salary into it and it is their money and protected in the event their employer goes bankrupt, but they can withdraw it whenever they need it. It would allow W2 employees with access to that type of plan to more or less turn the federal income tax into a consumption tax.

Reactions: Seinfeld

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
That's a valid concern but being worried about needing the money later is also a good reason that people don't contribute as much to 401k's as they should.

I wish they would just establish something that operates like a 401k combined with deferred comp. Employees can put all of their salary into it and it is their money and protected in the event their employer goes bankrupt, but they can withdraw it whenever they need it. It would allow W2 employees with access to that type of plan to more or less turn the federal income tax into a consumption tax.
Yeah, I don’t know why the rest of my post got cut off when it posted, but I just added the exact same point back in. Depending upon what report you want to reference, there are estimates out there that only 50-65% of 401k eligible employees are contributing anything, and even less are contributing enough to get a full company match. I agree that the inability to withdraw a dime for the next 35-45 years without massive penalties is a huge deterrent for some, and if we can throw those people a bone in the form of minor emergency funds, I’m for it

Anon1704414204

Jan 4, 2024
As a residential loan officer many of my clients borrowed for a down payment but we had to prove there were no payback requirements if the debt ratio was too tight. So you don't HAVE to pay it back but of course in the long run it's better if you can.

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008
He's talking about borrowing from his 401(k), not withdrawing the money. Loans aren't taxable unless they're not repaid on schedule. As for the rate, it's supposed to be a market rate so he shouldn't get any better rate than he would borrowing from a bank. In practice though, I suspect you usually get better rate from your 401(k). But you're really robbing Peter to pay Paul here. Lower interest rate on your loan = lower rate of return on your retirement savings.
The rate I paid 6 years ago was only 1.75% which was significantly better than anything I could find from a bank, especially for a personal loan. Just checked now and if I did one today it would be 4.625%. Good luck finding anything close to that at a bank these days.

QuadrupleOption

Aug 21, 2012
No, your company has to have a program for it, but if you are just borrowing from your 401K with a system to pay it back over time then there is no penalty and no taxation. If you don't pay it back then you would definitely have to pay taxes on it and probably a 10% penalty for early withdrawal unless its for some situation that meets an exception. 5 years is normally the maximum loan period allowed.
^^ This. I took out a loan against my 401K and while I am paying interest on the loan (to myself, actually) there were no additional penalties. I kind of hate that I'm missing out on the crazy gains that money would have generated but I was glad to take care of some stuff I needed to get off my plate.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
The rate I paid 6 years ago was only 1.75% which was significantly better than anything I could find from a bank, especially for a personal loan. Just checked now and if I did one today it would be 4.625%. Good luck finding anything close to that at a bank these days.
On the one hand, that's a very low rate if you're comparing it to a conventional loan. On the other, assuming for illustration one's 401k is invested in the S&P, that loan "cost" upwards 30% interest this past year with the S&P having 24% returns.

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008
On the one hand, that's a very low rate if you're comparing it to a conventional loan. On the other, assuming for illustration one's 401k is invested in the S&P, that loan "cost" upwards 30% interest this past year with the S&P having 24% returns.
No doubt that bad timing can cost you. You definitely don't want to take out a large portion of your 401K in a loan unless its an emergency for the chance that you could miss a market uptick like we've had this year. But its still a good place to get a smaller amount of money needed for a specific need for a guaranteed low interest rate that you pay to yourself rather than a bank. And there is always the chance you could have some money that misses out on a market downturn.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I'm not surprised. That happens a lot. Your plan really doesn't want the DOL to audit the interest rates they're charging for loans though. Wouldn't be pretty.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012

That said, 401k accounts have traditionally had pretty strict withdrawal penalties which is a reason for some to be leery of contributing at all, and if this will give more people confidence in savings, I can get behind it. At the end of the day, $1k isn’t going to make or break someone’s retirement
True, and at today's prices, I'm not sure what would both constitute an emergency and cost less than $1k. If you can't save at least $1k for an emergency fund, you might be overspending compared to your income. <--I'm specifically not talking about someone who has fallen on hard times, just thinking about people who have their regular job paying regular living expenses.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
Yeah, I don’t know why the rest of my post got cut off when it posted, but I just added the exact same point back in. Depending upon what report you want to reference, there are estimates out there that only 50-65% of 401k eligible employees are contributing anything, and even less are contributing enough to get a full company match. I agree that the inability to withdraw a dime for the next 35-45 years without massive penalties is a huge deterrent for some, and if we can throw those people a bone in the form of minor emergency funds, I’m for it
Exactly, it's a way to get people to start a 401k. Though, is there a good reason for the 10% penalty for early withdrawals? The tax penalty isn't enough?

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
From what I've read and heard, for you federales it is a very easy process to borrow up to $50k from your TSP.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
Exactly, it's a way to get people to start a 401k. Though, is there a good reason for the 10% penalty for early withdrawals? The tax penalty isn't enough?
I’ve always wondered that myself. I mean, it’s clearly a deterrent so that people will keep money in their 401k until retirement age, but the only IRS benefit that I’m aware of that you’re getting is deferred income tax, and that’s eventually going to be paid one way or another whenever you do withdraw. Therefore, I’m honestly not sure how they get away with invoking the additional “pre-retirement” 10% penalty

If anything, I could see company match amounts being excluded from eligible early withdrawal amounts, but aside from that, I don’t know why someone shouldn’t have access to their investments as long as they pay the tax on it.

Beretta.sixpack

Oct 29, 2009
Please explain how paying tax on income is a penalty.
Penalty....theft....whatever you want to call it....When the income tax was started, it was only supposed to be temporary.....now the govt wants it all....income taxes are counter productive

stateu1

Mar 21, 2016
Penalty....theft....whatever you want to call it....When the income tax was started, it was only supposed to be temporary.....now the govt wants it all....income taxes are counter productive
Fine. But, if there is an income tax (which there is) my question was what makes withdrawing from a 401k different than any other.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Please explain how paying tax on income is a penalty.

Exactly.

Yeah, it was supposed to be temporary but people liked it. The Grange, Farmers Alliance, and the Populists all wanted it.

So Conservatives proposed the 16th amendment to kill the income tax for good— and to their horror it was ratified by three-fourths of the states.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login