More on Trailer Swift

bolddogge

Aug 23, 2012
I’m no Mulkey fan, but that’s actually just a hit piece based on her politics. Nothing more.
Dismissing her point of the game getting out of hand due to refs only calling 1 foul on each team with 2 minutes left in the 4th quarter lets you know that they either have an agenda, or don't understand basketball. Then going down the covid trail clears it right up. Hit piece.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Channel 4 Love GIF by Five Guys A Week

Reactions: BulldogBlitz

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
it’s like every article on Fox talking crap about Biden or on MSNBC talking crap about Trump. The people who get pissed off about the articles make up a huge part of the clicks.
Speaking of, did y’all know we’re in a very active military fight with some Islamic group in Yemen? I just learned this over the weekend. I hadn’t seen this covered on any news outlet. Admittedly, I only scan the front pages of a couple sites, and it’s exactly what you mentioned and nothing more. I guess I should be a better citizen but I really don’t know where to get news from.

Reactions: WilCoDawg

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Speaking of, did y’all know we’re in a very active military fight with some Islamic group in Yemen? I just learned this over the weekend. I hadn’t seen this covered on any news outlet. Admittedly, I only scan the front pages of a couple sites, and it’s exactly what you mentioned and nothing more. I guess I should be a better citizen but I really don’t know where to get news from.
You talking about the Houthis? They’ve been attacking cargo ships for a while now and have escalated their attacks. Killed a couple of people on a British cargo ship a couple of weeks ago. Theyre Iranian backed.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
If there's a reliable place to get unbiased news from, I don't know what it is. I'm sure there are probably still some actual journalists (as opposed to partisans and activists) employed at major news publications, I just don't know who they are.

In general, I don't think most people employed at newspapers even know what journalism is. Not taht it's a newspaper, but Mississippi Today has person they claim is a Senior Political Reporter and all he does that I'm aware of is right editorials from a leftish/democrat stance. And what's bad is I don't think Mississippi Today is even trying to hide the ball by calling him a reporter rather than an opinion writer. I think they just legitimately don't understand the distinction between news and opinion that newspapers used to at least try to pretend to maintain.

• Sad
Reactions: KentuckyDawg13

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
This is what frustrates me. I occasionally will listen to the BBC and I am blown away by the amount of things happening in the world that get zero coverage here.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
This is what frustrates me. I occasionally will listen to the BBC and I am blown away by the amount of things happening in the world that get zero coverage here.
Because it’s a bunch of BS cable “news” channels controlling the message. Whatever gets them ratings is what crap they put on the air and run stories on. Every last one of them. And what’s left of print journalism isn’t far behind.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I've found this site helpful: AllSides | Balanced news and media bias ratings. Unbiased news doesn't exist. This chart they produce is helpful as well: Media Bias Chart | AllSides

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
what is the sound of zero dogs barking?

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
May I introduce the tRant political board. Far and away the best place to see most current news, and you don’t have to click the network links. Lots of trolling, and it’s glorious.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
That might be as accurate a list that I’ve seen. I mean you can argue a couple but over all that’s really good.
I had to have something pull me out of an unhealthy echo chamber some time ago. This is the best I've found at helping me understand where I might be consuming some really biased sources. I also like that its new feed will hand me left/center/right takes on the same news story. Sometimes just the headlines alone make you realize how badly opinionated the stories are.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Our allies in the Middle East; Saudi, Kuwait, etc., (backed by the US) have been engaged in a low key war (mostly consisting of bombing campaigns) in Yemen since at least 2015.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
That might be as accurate a list that I’ve seen. I mean you can argue a couple but over all that’s really good.
I don't trust any news service. The somewhat more accurate news service of my youth disappeared years ago, and you can blame them all. Sure, they made mistakes, but the news wasn't as partisan (except the Washington Post) as it is today, and it's all in a collective effort to build up or tear down one man. I can't even watch the local news. I just wanna know what happened, not whose fault it was. I can decide that for myself. Thank you.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
You talking about the Houthis? They’ve been attacking cargo ships for a while now and have escalated their attacks. Killed a couple of people on a British cargo ship a couple of weeks ago. Theyre Iranian backed.
Yeah them. Apparently we’re basically sending planes off carriers nonstop on bombing missions. That seems like it should be front page news. I guess it’s best to be out of the news. We can be more effective that way.

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
Yeah them. Apparently we’re basically sending planes off carriers nonstop on bombing missions. That seems like it should be front page news. I guess it’s best to be out of the news. We can be more effective that way.

It's only out of OUR news, so not really under the radar.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
60min did a segment on the issue 3 weeks ago, and they are usually chasing vs breaking stories.
...they have that liberal slant though.

Anyways, it's insane to see a group has been doing this and it's due to the direct support of another country's government.

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
60min did a segment on the issue 3 weeks ago, and they are usually chasing vs breaking stories.
...they have that liberal slant though.

Anyways, it's insane to see a group has been doing this and it's due to the direct support of another country's government.
So we’re indirectly funding them by giving Iran money.🤔

dudehead

Jul 9, 2006
I have a relative who lived 10 or 12 years in Saudi Arabia working for the kingdom in the financial area and he realized fairly quickly how slanted the American news media was. In his opinion, the best sources of news were Al Jazeera - particularly for news about the Middle East, the BBC, and public television. American for profit news is what Americans want: Jerry Springer like news. How could it be any other way?

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
So we’re indirectly funding them by giving Iran money.🤔
Neither directly nor indirectly.
I have yet to see any report that shows the escrow held funds(I assume that what you are referring to) went to fund terrorism, nor have I seen any report that shows Iran wouldn't have been able to fund terrorism if not for the escrowed funds being released and used as stated.

So either way, no.

On a related note, I don't view someone paying their taxes as directly or even indirectly funding abhorrent things the US has done thru history.
I don't view it that way because to do so places a moral responsibility upon everyone just for paying taxes.
Apply that to your claim about the indirectly funding Iran sponsored terrorism.

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
Neither directly nor indirectly.
I have yet to see any report that shows the escrow held funds(I assume that what you are referring to) went to fund terrorism, nor have I seen any report that shows Iran wouldn't have been able to fund terrorism if not for the escrowed funds being released and used as stated.

So either way, no.

On a related note, I don't view someone paying their taxes as directly or even indirectly funding abhorrent things the US has done thru history.
I don't view it that way because to do so places a moral responsibility upon everyone just for paying taxes.
Apply that to your claim about the indirectly funding Iran sponsored terrorism.
Sure. You’re right. There’s no way all that money would ever be spent on terrorism. I bet they spent it on housing their population and such. Thanks for the enlightening insight.***

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
It's ok but the biggest problem in US news isn't really bias (although that is a problem) but a lack of integrity. There is a huge difference between National Review, which is openly ideological but generally honest (or at least it was several years ago when I read it) and somebody like Politico, who is less open about being partisan and also is dishonest, particularly with its "fact checking".

It's also interesting to see Reason listed as being on the right. I guess that's correct if you are going to limit yourself to a single axis because even though open or open-ish borders is a leftish value, free speech is only a strong value for a portion of the right now, and the drug legalization is less of a strict left issue than it used to be, and of course on economic issues libertarian tend to match up more with the right, but it would have been much harder to claim Reason as being on the right 15 years ago.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Sure. You’re right. There’s no way all that money would ever be spent on terrorism. I bet they spent it on housing their population and such. Thanks for the enlightening insight.***

Ill break this down for you since you seem to not know the actual background or are unable to understand the actual background.

- 5 Americans were detained in Iran. As a way to free the detainees, the US allowed $6B in Iranian funds to be released from South Korea and sent to Qatar. The frozen funds were from the legal sale of oil and use of the funds is restricted to 'humanitarian aid'.
- US law had already provided sanction exemptions for food and medicine(humanitarian aid), so this really was just Congress and Blinken following what was already on the books.
- This money was never the US' money as in, it was not money that came from the US(taxpayers) to free the US detainees. This money was from Iran legally selling a product they produced.
- The funds that are held in Qatar are subject to oversight to ensure use is limited to 'humanitarian aid'. Further, the funds are transferred directly to pre-qualified vendors for payment of goods and services, so the money does not go to Iran or a bank in Iran.
- Remaining sanctioned funds can still be locked up, if it is found that there was misuse.
- After transfer to Qatar, the funds were quickly frozen again, after the Hamas attack on Israel. The funds were then unfrozen a month or so later.

To recap- the frozen funds that were released were never the US' money, Iran does not hold the funds, the funds are earmarked for specific humanitarian use with specific qualified vendors.
The US is not indirectly funding Houthi terror by Iran having access to funds that are for humanitarian aid.

If you have read or seen evidence of the funds that are approved for humanitarian aid being used to fund Houthi led terror attacks in the Red Sea, please provide it for me and everyone to read. I have read and seen nothing that supports your claim.
If you have nothing, then maybe try being honest with the events you are discussing and say your view is just a baseless guess formed from various biases.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login