More PAC12 TV rights details

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Still wonder what could have been had they successfully plucked Texas and Oklahoma. I would imagine that Oklahoma State like would have come with that package, and maybe Texas Tech.

I think ultimately, the twisted up west coast thinking, and lack of football (and really college sports overall) interest in general, is what led to this. They simply don't care enough.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Still wonder what could have been had they successfully plucked Texas and Oklahoma. I would imagine that Oklahoma State like would have come with that package, and maybe Texas Tech.

I think ultimately, the twisted up west coast thinking, and lack of football (and really college sports overall) interest in general, is what led to this. They simply don't care enough.
The original invitation was Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, and Colorado.

Texas A&M said "no thanks, if we go anywhere, it's going to be the SEC". The Big 12 put together a new media deal to keep everybody together for a few more years, but Nebraska and Colorado went ahead and left for the Big Ten and Pac-12 respectively. Texas A&M stayed for another couple of years, then went to the SEC and brought Mizzou with them.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Playing most of your games after the east coast goes to bed is a good recipe for a bad deal
once you go into Moutain and Pacific time zones the average TV fan viewers drops off significantly. People can only watch so many games at once and SEC and Big 10 dominate the main time slots and then there is the Big 12 after that with a sprinkling of ACC. There are no significant # of eyeballs for anything after that.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
once you go into Moutain and Pacific time zones the average TV fan viewers drops off significantly. People can only watch so many games at once and SEC and Big 10 dominate the main time slots and then there is the Big 12 after that with a sprinkling of ACC. There are no significant # of eyeballs for anything after that.
I'm not totally disagreeing with what you're saying, but I think it also goes back to the quality of the teams argument we had in the Big Ten vs SEC thread.

If you look at the regular season on that link that was posted in that thread:
You can see that a post 9:00 pm game makes it into the top 10 most viewed games each week pretty consistently. When that team is, say, USC or UCLA, they get a pretty decent number.

It's also kind of a 'red water' vs 'blue water' scenario. From 11 am Central to about 9 pm Central, you have lots of eyeballs, but you also have lots of networks/games competing for those eyeballs (red water). From 9 pm until the end of the night, you have fewer eyeballs, but you have a lot less content competing for those eyeballs (blue water).

So, a game like Utah vs Oregon can pull in 2.5 Million viewers (which is a significant number of eyeballs) with a 9:30 Central/10:30 Eastern start time because its only competition was SDSU vs New Mexico and SJSU vs Utah State.

Overall, you're right, viewership tends to drop, but there is still a significant enough number of people still watching to justify 1-2 late night games.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChE1997 and patdog
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login