Most egregious bat flip of 2024

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
The most irritating thing about American baseball fandom is the pearl-clutching over bat flips.

Bat flips are cool. If countries like Japan and South Korea, which (not to stereotype, but...) are a lot more uptight culturally than the U.S., can embrace bat flips for what they are, so can America. It's all in good fun, nothing serious, but a bunch of snowflakes here in America get offended and hurt feelings over them. I can guarantee you that a lot of Texas fans wanted that batter HBP at his next plate appearance (or worse), even though that's stupid because it's giving up a free baserunner.

Whatever replaces the NCAA should make an explicit rule that bat flips are allowed and encouraged, are to be taken in stride by the other team, and that any "retaliation" over one is an automatic ejection and suspension.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
No pearl clutching here. Bat flip and scream all you want. But I don't have to find it entertaining or respect it. I have a pretty well developed sense of humor, and there are very few batflips I think are good fun. Just a bunch of "look at me" BS.

The one in this thread is high quality though. I can appreciate true artistry.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009

Umpire Joe West works 5,000th career game

• Haha
Reactions: Darryl Steight

JackShephard

Sep 27, 2011
The most irritating thing about American baseball fandom is the pearl-clutching over bat flips.

Bat flips are cool. If countries like Japan and South Korea, which (not to stereotype, but...) are a lot more uptight culturally than the U.S., can embrace bat flips for what they are, so can America. It's all in good fun, nothing serious, but a bunch of snowflakes here in America get offended and hurt feelings over them. I can guarantee you that a lot of Texas fans wanted that batter HBP at his next plate appearance (or worse), even though that's stupid because it's giving up a free baserunner.

Whatever replaces the NCAA should make an explicit rule that bat flips are allowed and encouraged, are to be taken in stride by the other team, and that any "retaliation" over one is an automatic ejection and suspension.
Can you be any more of a try hard? :LOL:

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
No pearl clutching here. Bat flip and scream all you want. But I don't have to find it entertaining or respect it. I have a pretty well developed sense of humor, and there are very few batflips I think are good fun. Just a bunch of "look at me" BS.

The one in this thread is high quality though. I can appreciate true artistry.
I would have no problem with the bat flip if pitchers were allowed to pitch in off the plate more and had to hit. That makes it all more interesting.

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
I don't mind a good bat flip, just as I don't mind a little hip bruiser on the next pitch either. Like someone else said, self-regulation has worked pretty well for decades up until the current 'feelings' era.

That said - they might want to add a caveat to any rules about it that your bat needs to go towards your own dugout. I appreciate the artistry of the one in this clip, but he did sling it towards the UT dugout. That may be something easy to correct.

"Flip it all you want, Hollywood, but if you get too cute and hurt someone in the dugout it should be your own teammate."

615 Guy

Jun 6, 2018
I'm guilty of enjoying a good bat flip. KBO players have turned it into an art form. Highly recommend watching those guys flip some bats.

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
I don’t have a problem with a bat flip….just don’t carry the bat all the way down to 1st base. I also don’t have a problem with the bat flipper getting pegged his next at bat

Reactions: msstatelp1

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
If he was in the major leagues, the next time he got up to bat he would get a fastball right behind the ear. At least that used to be the case.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login