Most "physically painful" event to watch in the Olympics?

MSUDOG24

Mar 31, 2021
there are a bunch of them but give me
- the last 50M of any swimming event (can't imagine the muscle and lung "burn" ... in water)
- the gymnastic rings (that's just physically impossibly to do)

HomeBoyDawg

Oct 22, 2013
Suspicious Family Matters GIF

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Basically everything gymnasts do looks painful as hell. And we're only seeing a finished product, not the thousands of reps needed to perfect each move.

Sheet like this...

artistic-gymnastics-high-bar-birds-view-AKY85W-2785404494.jpg

And this...

1-male-gymnast-on-rings-mike-harrington-2910552154.jpg

And this...

Screenshot_20240731-225840~2.png

Her hands slipped on uneven bar warmups, she landed on her head and her knee hit her in the eye. My leg would have to tear off to make that happen.

Oh, and she finished up, helping her team to bronze.

• Wow
Reactions: eckie1 and dorndawg

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
My wife and I watched the replay of the women's gymnastic team finals tonight. It was by far the worst production I have ever seen. They badly needed a golf producer. There are 4 events all going on at the same time with 2 teams of 3 athletes at each discipline. Then there is a 15 or so minute warmup period when the teams rotate to the next discipline. So there is much time to fill.

I am going to call each session a quarter. So for each quarter there were 6 x 4 (24 total) performances and we probably got to see 4 or 5 performances for each quarter. They would show a performance of one of the athletes then they would show all sorts of fancy replays 3 or 4 times of the same performance. They then put the camera on that athlete and we waited 3 to 5 minutes for a score, which they had no idea when it would come, to finally be shown. They did not show in the graphic or show a picture of the information board that would tell the viewer what the difficulty of the performance was set at. You might get lucky to see it as they ran up on the vault for example.

As you know when watching golf there are times you hear roars from the crowd and it is obviously on another hole. The telecast will almost always go to it and say something like "and this is what that roar was about". On this telecast the crowd would cheer and you had no idea and never be told what they were cheering about on one of the other disciplines. One time a Chinese girl fell off the balance beam and a cheer went up along with a bunch of American flags. So I guess they were cheering about what the American girl did during the Uneven Bars but we never saw it. Instead we saw 5 replays of this girl falling then five minutes of her being upset waiting for her score. It looked like the American fans cheered her fall.

Actually during the first move over time period they did show two performances and then an immediate score instead of them marching over and doing some practice at the next discipline. That was the only time they did that though.

It was so painful. Out of the 96 performances we saw 20 or so with 30 minutes of waiting for a score on a 2 hour show. I think we saw about 7 of 12 of the USA performances. what makes it worse is the longest performance is 90 seconds on the Floor Exercise and Balance Beam. The vault is seconds and the Uneven Bars are like 45 seconds.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Gymnastics and swimming for the strength and stamina required but also rugby 7s. I know they don’t “hit” like you would in football but I imagine after a match you’re feeling the punishment.

Reactions: msstatelp1

Anon1704414204

Jan 4, 2024
Basically everything gymnasts do looks painful as hell. And we're only seeing a finished product, not the thousands of reps needed to perfect each move.

Sheet like this...

View attachment 619993

And this...

View attachment 619995

And this...

View attachment 620004

Her hands slipped on uneven bar warmups, she landed on her head and her knee hit her in the eye. My leg would have to tear off to make that happen.

One of these pics is not like the others. The 1st is kinda disturbing.

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003

Sheet like this...

View attachment 619993

And this...

View attachment 619995

And this...

View attachment 620004

If the owner of Speaker City can do it - it's not that hard.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
I had always heard that water polo was quietly one of the most physically demanding sports. You are treading water in a 7-foot pool for 45 minutes while trying to run an offense with other people trying to drown you. Sounds awful.
Yeah, I call dibs on goalie! And that still is not easy I’m sure.

Requiem For A Dawg

Dec 3, 2008
there are a bunch of them but give me
- the last 50M of any swimming event (can't imagine the muscle and lung "burn" ... in water)
- the gymnastic rings (that's just physically impossibly to do)
The most painful for me was watching that man beat a woman until she quit in the boxing match.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login