Move to Birmingham

MSUGUY

Oct 11, 2020
My son is considering a job in Birmingham downtown. How is it there now and where would you live if young newly married?
I’ve heard crime is pretty tough there like Jackson. Also that Hoover has best public schools?

patdog

May 28, 2007
Sister lives in Homewood. Closer than Hoover and excellent public schools & a really nice town. Pricey though, but anywhere near downtown that is good will be expensive. Vestavia Hills would be good too.

Bhamdawg1725

Dec 15, 2023
Been here 10 years. Moved from Memphis. Fell in love with Bham immediately. Never realized how conveniently located it is. Starkville in a hair over 2 hours. Nashville in 3 or less. Can be at Truist Park in Atlanta in 2 hours. Plenty of direct flights out of Bham, but also 2 hours to ATL airport where we can get anywhere in the world. Can be on the beach in less than 4 hours.

Not to mention the great hiking (Bham is surrounded by foothill mountains). Plenty of fun hikes to crystal clear water falls. Smith Lake is 45 min away for great water sports or swimming.

Crime: I work downtown. Never felt threatened. The pockets of crime are very understood. Just don’t go there. Whereas, when I lived in Memphis, seemingly, I was nearly always 100 yards away from a dangerous area.

If he’s less than 30 and single, live in Homewood, Crestline or Crestwood. If over 30 and married, southern suburbs are the best for daycares and schools. Mountain Brook and Vestavia are two of the best school districts in the country. Homewood, Hoover, Spain Park, Oak Mountain are also very strong.

We also have a pretty big young alum chapter over here. If he’s a State grad, that group usually meets every other month for a happy hour. I saw one is coming up August 13.

The Fatboy

Oct 18, 2005
Lived here since 2005. I've lived in Vestavia Hills, Alabaster/Helena, Cahaba Heights and we just bought a house in Crestline/Crestwood area. I love it here and I have never felt in danger. There are clearly places you shouldn't go and yes random violence does happen but this city is pretty cool. Great food and plenty to do. We love hiking as another poster mentioned and there are hundreds creeks and rivers to yak.

SanfordRJones

Nov 17, 2006
I live 5 minutes from downtown. It's generally safe there. Like someone said above, the bad parts of town are easily distinguished, and there's no reason for anyone who doesn't live in those places to go to those places.

As far as school districts, Hoover is decent, but the school is huge. Homewood, Oak Mountain, Vestavis, and Trussville are as good or better. There are also a few great private schools and an IB school at Shades Valley if they want to go that way with education.

If he doesn't care about schools, there are other great places to live closet to downtown (Forest Park, Crestwood, or Glen Iris, for example).

Birmingham is a great town. He should love it here.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Stay away from the Hoover school zone, it has seen its better days. I’d go Homewood or if they want to rent and hang out a few years, I’d go South Side in those gentrified areas. That’s where all the kids are. Do your research though.

Homewood, Vestavia, Mt Brook school zones (if they can find something). Secondly, Oak Mountain or Spain Park zones but you’re getting into serious suburbia out that way. Trussville is decent to the east. I wouldn’t go west. North suburbs can get rednecky and getting some Bham influx.

Birmingham is like anywhere else in the south, you’ll know you’re in the good areas by the price. If a deal sounds too good to be true, it is.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

00Dawg

Nov 10, 2009
Homewood (not the west side) is spectacular. Mountain Brook is also really nice, but upscale and priced accordingly.
There’s also some nice areas on the south side of the city, but it can vary a lot in nearby areas as to what’s available for eating/entertainment, what traffic is like, etc.

InTheIttaBenaHotSun

Jan 9, 2016
Moved to BHM NYE of '96 for a turf internship. Ended up staying for 27 yrs. Lived in Homewood the 1st few yrs then got married and moved over to Vestavia. It's a beautiful area with a lot to do. I miss it.

Being a young newly wed couple with at least one spouse working downtown, Bhamdawg is right....Crestline, Crestwood, Homewood would be the best areas to live. All offer easy commutes, good bars/restaurants, parks/trails and a ton of folks their age. If they look south, I wouldn't try and live south of 459....the commute in and out of downtown everyday would be long and miserable.

If down the road, they decide to make BHM home and are still working downtown, I'd try and buy in Homewood, Cahaba Heights or Vestavia. Great academics/athletics/arts in both districts. Only drawback with Vestavia is their pitiful choice of a HS mascot.

Anon1704414204

Jan 4, 2024
This thread is a reminder of Mississippi's built in disadvantages we have little to no control over. We gotta figger a way to compensate and quit expecting different results doing the same old damn things.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
This thread is a reminder of Mississippi's built in disadvantages we have little to no control over. We gotta figger a way to compensate and quit expecting different results doing the same old damn things.
I gave up. Finally just accepted that you can't stop the tidal wave of MS college graduates that leave, so if you can capture them in Birmingham and Huntsville, at least there they can get back to campus on the regular, and have a decent shot at sending their kids back to MSU.

Last edited:

Villagedawg

Nov 16, 2005
My son is considering a job in Birmingham downtown. How is it there now and where would you live if young newly married?
I’ve heard crime is pretty tough there like Jackson. Also that Hoover has best public schools?
My son moved there fresh out of MSU 5 years ago. He lived in 5 Points for about 3 years and really enjoyed it. Never any crime issues. Bought a house a couple of years ago near Avondale. Really likes it too. So do I.

BHAMDawg33

Mar 16, 2022
Been here 10 years. Moved from Memphis. Fell in love with Bham immediately. Never realized how conveniently located it is. Starkville in a hair over 2 hours. Nashville in 3 or less. Can be at Truist Park in Atlanta in 2 hours. Plenty of direct flights out of Bham, but also 2 hours to ATL airport where we can get anywhere in the world. Can be on the beach in less than 4 hours.

Not to mention the great hiking (Bham is surrounded by foothill mountains). Plenty of fun hikes to crystal clear water falls. Smith Lake is 45 min away for great water sports or swimming.

Crime: I work downtown. Never felt threatened. The pockets of crime are very understood. Just don’t go there. Whereas, when I lived in Memphis, seemingly, I was nearly always 100 yards away from a dangerous area.

If he’s less than 30 and single, live in Homewood, Crestline or Crestwood. If over 30 and married, southern suburbs are the best for daycares and schools. Mountain Brook and Vestavia are two of the best school districts in the country. Homewood, Hoover, Spain Park, Oak Mountain are also very strong.

We also have a pretty big young alum chapter over here. If he’s a State grad, that group usually meets every other month for a happy hour. I saw one is coming up August 13.
As another BHAM resident I agree with everything said here... other than I wouldn't recommend Hoover as much as others have.. Homewood, Vestavia, Mt. Brook, and honestly would probably go to Trussville over Hoover as it's grown up a lot recently.

BHAMDawg33

Mar 16, 2022
Moved to BHM NYE of '96 for a turf internship. Ended up staying for 27 yrs. Lived in Homewood the 1st few yrs then got married and moved over to Vestavia. It's a beautiful area with a lot to do. I miss it.

Being a young newly wed couple with at least one spouse working downtown, Bhamdawg is right....Crestline, Crestwood, Homewood would be the best areas to live. All offer easy commutes, good bars/restaurants, parks/trails and a ton of folks their age. If they look south, I wouldn't try and live south of 459....the commute in and out of downtown everyday would be long and miserable.

If down the road, they decide to make BHM home and are still working downtown, I'd try and buy in Homewood, Cahaba Heights or Vestavia. Great academics/athletics/arts in both districts. Only drawback with Vestavia is their pitiful choice of a HS mascot.

Live in Vestavia... My kids play varsity sports for VHHS and they know to only give me things that say "VH" or "Vestavia" because I will not be wearing any "OneRebel" or "Rebels" powder blue gear.

RockyDog

Jan 2, 2023
Won’t happen. Republican “leadership” in MS is predetermined by at least a decade.

None of them care about their constituency, only what benefits their pocket and the pockets of their buddies.

Current gubernatorial “leadership” doesn’t even think for himself. He just licks Daddy Trump’s taint and does what daddy tells him to do.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Won’t happen. Republican “leadership” in MS is predetermined by at least a decade.

None of them care about their constituency, only what benefits their pocket and the pockets of their buddies.

Current gubernatorial “leadership” doesn’t even think for himself. He just licks Daddy Trump’s taint and does what daddy tells him to do.
None of that matters. The problem is, and will continue to be, Jackson. We don't have a viable urban area to provide jobs people want - PERIOD. And is certainly seems like leadership isn't too concerned with rectifying that. By leadership, I am also talking about the mayor of Jacktown. At least the State is trying, with the CCID and fixing the water.

Anon1704414204

Jan 4, 2024

You really think all we need is an expansion of Jackson Type Political Leadership to make things better? Government is the answer to all that ails us?

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
You really think all we need is an expansion of Jackson Type Political Leadership to make things better? Government is the answer to all that ails us?
Unless you can start a corporation or entice a corporation to relocate that can provide a few thousand jobs and entices other businesses that feed that business (like suppliers, restaurants, housing, etc.) and get a few other people to do the same, then yes, the government would have to entice or incentivize those businesses to relocate.

Reactions: Anon1704414204

Anon1704414204

Jan 4, 2024
Unless you can start a corporation or entice a corporation to relocate that can provide a few thousand jobs and entices other businesses that feed that business (like suppliers, restaurants, housing, etc.) and get a few other people to do the same, then yes, the government would have to entice or incentivize those businesses to relocate.
It all starts with those willing to risk their money in hopes for good ROI. Big government types favor higher penalties (taxes) on those returns despite the fact that increases in capital gains taxes always result in less revenues from that source of government revenue. Why is that?

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
You don't even need this. The state and MDA are doing that (are they doing good or bad, who knows, that's up for debate).

All Jackson needs to do is make itself not suck and not so stupidly crime-ridden. Then the inflow will happen naturally. People want to be in urban areas.

Villagedawg

Nov 16, 2005
increases in capital gains taxes always result in less revenues from that source of government revenue. Why is that?
Because it isn't. Revenue maximizing rate on capital gains is about 28-35%. Above that, under the current structure investors will hang on to assets. Always is a big word considering that what happens after an increase depends on a lot of factors other than just the rate. What if there was no step-up basis upon death? What if capital gains were taxed on accrual rather than realization? What if they were taxed at death? What if you got a tax credit when assets fall in value without realization? All of these things are "nots" right now under current law, but current law is not always.

BluffParkDawg

Aug 22, 2012
Lived here since graduating from State in 2000 and have worked downtown for over 24 years now. Never really felt unsafe downtown, even at night when going to a concert or out for dinner. Most of the violent crime occurs in the west side of Birmingham and is hardly ever "random".

We currently live in Vestavia Hills, but also have lived in Crestline Park (edge of Mountain Brook), West Homewood and the Bluff Park area of Hoover. Wife works in the Hoover City Schools, and our son graduated from Hoover High, but our daughter is in Vestavia schools if that tells you anything. Hoover High is massive (2500+). Spain Park is about half of that and has a different "feeder pattern" for Elementary and Middle.

Lots of options close to downtown. Plenty of apartments/condos popping up around UAB/Parkside but also in the Southside neighborhood. You can also find some decent apartment options in Homewood, but you will be fighting Samford and UAB students for them. Could also look at "gentrified" areas east of downtown like Forrest Park, Crestwood, Crestline (edge of Mountain Brook), and some parts of Avondale.

We have a great alumni group here. A lot of the younger alumni have started doing Maroon Saloon events at local breweries and brewpubs. They have one coming up soon.

BluffParkDawg

Aug 22, 2012
Live in Vestavia... My kids play varsity sports for VHHS and they know to only give me things that say "VH" or "Vestavia" because I will not be wearing any "OneRebel" or "Rebels" powder blue gear.
Same here. Daughter is in Vestavia schools now, and son goes to Samford. WAY too much blue/red for me.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
It all starts with those willing to risk their money in hopes for good ROI. Big government types favor higher penalties (taxes) on those returns despite the fact that increases in capital gains taxes always result in less revenues from that source of government revenue. Why is that?
Right, but why would somebody risk putting a corporate headquarters in Mississippi when there isn't the staffing available? Mississippi isn't new. It's been here for a while. Best it seems to get are satellite factories, which aren't bad jobs, but they aren't the kinds of jobs we're talking about. We're talking about a large number of jobs that require a college degree and that is generally some sort of national or regional corporate headquarters. The only time we've really seen that happen in Mississippi was Worldcom and we know how that ended up.

It's kind of chicken and egg. Mississippi doesn't have the educated and experienced workforce that corporations are looking for to fill roles in IT, Web Development, Marketing, Finance, Engineering, etc. Unless you pick up kids out of college within about 2-3 years of graduation, they're moving elsewhere to find a job in IT, Web Development, Marketing, Finance, Engineering, etc. so that kind of workforce is never really readily available in Mississippi.

Anon1704414204

Jan 4, 2024
Because it isn't. Revenue maximizing rate on capital gains is about 28-35%. Above that, under the current structure investors will hang on to assets. Always is a big word considering that what happens after an increase depends on a lot of factors other than just the rate. What if there was no step-up basis upon death? What if capital gains were taxed on accrual rather than realization? What if they were taxed at death? What if you got a tax credit when assets fall in value without realization? All of these things are "nots" right now under current law, but current law is not always.
You're Wrong but I ain't gettin'
in a pissin' match on tax policy with a leftist on a sports board. Private Sector Economic Growth is better than assuming we can tax our way into prosperity which makes as much sense as a man standing in a bucket trying to lift himself up by the handle.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
You don't even need this. The state and MDA are doing that (are they doing good or bad, who knows, that's up for debate).

All Jackson needs to do is make itself not suck and not so stupidly crime-ridden. Then the inflow will happen naturally. People want to be in urban areas.
So I was talking about government at every level from state down to city. I disagree a little bit on the natural inflow. I don't think there's some big corporation out there that's just chomping at the bit to put their headquarters in Jackson, but they're just waiting on Jackson's crime rate or water quality to hit a certain number.

Like "guys, hear me out, senior staff is tired of Cincinnati. I found a dirt cheap office building in Flowood, MS, but we're just waiting on Jackson to get below 120 murders per year and we're pulling the trigger on relocation." Mississippi and Jackson are going to have to incentivize those kinds of moves either through heavy tax incentives, rebates, eminent domain condemnation followed by a cheap leasing agreement, or changes to the tax structure as a whole (trading out income tax for higher property taxes).

BluffParkDawg

Aug 22, 2012
If they are on Reddit, I would recommend checking out the Birmingham Subreddit at https://www.reddit.com/r/Birmingham/. Lots of good info there and people constantly asking about best areas to live, etc.

Swede39

Jan 29, 2016
As others have said, lot of good areas and school systems in Bham. We were in Homewood for a while. Now we're in the Oak Mountain area. Both have been great school systems. Mrs. Swede is a teacher in the Oak Mountain school system so I may be a little biased. Great alumni population as well. Love running into fellow State fans when I'm out and about. Similar to Vestavia, I struggle with the Oak Mountain logo as it can get really close to the Ole Miss logo. I simply refuse to wear it. Fight me. I said what I said.

InTheIttaBenaHotSun

Jan 9, 2016

I was the same while my son was at VHHS....How'd baseball do this year? Hard to top the '23 season.

beachbumdawg

Nov 28, 2006
I work downtown - it’s generally not bad

if live entertainment is important - live nation is building an amphitheater not far from the new stadium downtown - it will likely replace the one at oak mountain

Private schools
In downtown- Altamo
Indian Springs (near oak mountain)
Briarwood

if HS sports is a big deal- it’s hard to top Thompson HS in alabaster currently- it’s a small university though

other good smaller schools south of Hoover -
Pelham (just built a new Elementary and Middle) - slated to build a new HS in 2028
Helena is a pretty good school and area too - traffic sucks there due to railroad

mike tice

Sep 30, 2022
Stay away from the Birmingnites. They are like the Jacksonites. You can live in the burbs just fine though

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
My brother and family lived in Riverchase subdivision. I used to visit a lot in the 90’s. It was a nice area but no idea now. I think his kids went to Briarwood.

Villagedawg

Nov 16, 2005
You're Wrong but I ain't gettin'
in a pissin' match on tax policy with a leftist on a sports board. Private Sector Economic Growth is better than assuming we can tax our way into prosperity which makes as much sense as a man standing in a bucket trying to lift himself up by the handle.
Leftist? Ha! Ok. No one suggested we tax our way into prosperity but ok.

MSUGUY

Oct 11, 2020
And engineering folks, good jobs, etc leaving the state.

Reactions: Anon1704414204
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login