Moving forward. Who plays, who stays (on bench)...

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
In the field I think Forsythe needs to get the permanent nod at SS. Neither he or Leggett are going to hit much but Forsythe brings more with his glove. I think platooning them just makes things worse.

Nobody seems to want the leadoff spot. We started 3 different guys this weekend and went 1 for 18 and scored 1 run. I think I'd just put Davis there and let it roll.

On the mound it appears that Stinnett has reverted to form and should probably be relegated to midweek. Tullar same thing, if that. Starting Stinnett and relieving him with Tullar was an unmitigated disaster. (BTW, I wonder why Smith and Kohn didn't see any action?) I think the Sat starter should perhaps be Fristoe. He definitely needs to be used more.

Aug 28, 2018
To me Leggett gets the nod. He currently has more upside as a hitter. Lane has the edge in the field. 7 of the 12 Losses we've scored 3 runs or less. We're losing more because we can't score than we are because we can't field. A high scoring offense can overcome occasional fielding errors and mediocre pitching . An absent offense can't overcome either.

I like Davis at leadoff out of those we've seen.

No use in throwing Smith or Kohn in the first 2 games, they got out of hand too fast to burn them. Game 3 couldn't have worked out better. Moving forward, you might replace Tullar with Kohn as that 1st game lefty option, but if Stinnett drops another egg in Gm 2, there's no use in throwing Smith out there to eat up useless innings.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Move Cumbest to CF and give Siebert some
consistent ABs. Bat Hancock leadoff. Other than that not a lot of options unless we give Corder more of a shot in CF

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
In the field I think Forsythe needs to get the permanent nod at SS. Neither he or Leggett are going to hit much but Forsythe brings more with his glove. I think platooning them just makes things worse.
I think this is probably right? My only thought would be maybe if Legget got to settle in he would be closer in the field. But I think we may be getting close to the point where it's better to just pick one and let it roll. Possibly making the wrong decision and being consistent with it might be better than having them split time.

Nobody seems to want the leadoff spot. We started 3 different guys this weekend and went 1 for 18 and scored 1 run. I think I'd just put Davis there and let it roll.
Don't know on this one.

On the mound it appears that Stinnett has reverted to form and should probably be relegated to midweek. Tullar same thing, if that. Starting Stinnett and relieving him with Tullar was an unmitigated disaster. (BTW, I wonder why Smith and Kohn didn't see any action?) I think the Sat starter should perhaps be Fristoe. He definitely needs to be used more.
If we finally are getting something out of Fristoe, I'd be loathe to change his role now. I would lean towards putting STinnet on Friday. Let him know we're rolling with him until he hits his pitch count. If he puts us out of the game, he puts us out of the game. We're wasting Preston having him pitch against other team's ace. Unless he just cracks, Stinnet will occasionally be able to compete, and then Preston and Cade and our lineup should give us a chance on Saturday and Sunday.

FISHDAWG

Dec 27, 2009
To me Leggett gets the nod. He currently has more upside as a hitter. Lane has the edge in the field. 7 of the 12 Losses we've scored 3 runs or less. We're losing more because we can't score than we are because we can't field. A high scoring offense can overcome occasional fielding errors and mediocre pitching . An absent offense can't overcome either.

I like Davis at leadoff out of those we've seen.

No use in throwing Smith or Kohn in the first 2 games, they got out of hand too fast to burn them. Game 3 couldn't have worked out better. Moving forward, you might replace Tullar with Kohn as that 1st game lefty option, but if Stinnett drops another egg in Gm 2, there's no use in throwing Smith out there to eat up useless innings.

at Least Leggett has some clutch hits and one walk-off this year

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Fristoe is becoming the closer. We don't need to mess with that.

He can start again next year.

Feb 23, 2008
Weirdest stat you'll hear all day. Lane is hitting .417 in SEC games.

Granted it's only in 12 at bats but 5 hits still isn't too shabby. I don't really know one way or the other between him and Leggett. The thing I'd to see is let's put Cumbest in center and platoon Seibert and Downs in left. It's not like the center fielders we're playing are making game saving catches all the time. We won't be losing much on defense. If only Skinner could hit. He makes it look way easier than anyone else in the outfield.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
Since March 1st

Leggett:
8 for 45, 0.178 avg
5 bb
5 rbi
10 r
1 hr
3 2b
4 errors

Forsythe:
7 for 29, 0.241 avg
5 bb
4 rbi
5 r
0 hr
0 2b
1 error

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Can't argue that that line would make me lean a little more towards Forsythe.

It's Forsythe 100% at short - did you see him stop those heaters last weekend? There is only 1 player on our team that can do that consistently, without error. I think we forget he was the SS for CWS all tournament team for 2021.

PirateDawg

Jan 9, 2020
Another vote for Forsythe. We don't have anyone that is better at fielding on our team. We can stand to have one sub .200 hitter in the lineup.

FISHDAWG

Dec 27, 2009
Since March 1st

Leggett:
8 for 45, 0.178 avg
5 bb
5 rbi
10 r
1 hr
3 2b
4 errors

Forsythe:
7 for 29, 0.241 avg
5 bb
4 rbi
5 r
0 hr
0 2b
1 error

Leggett also has 1 walk-off hit and 1 game winning run this year and appears to be the better clutch type hitter (he also has the better overall BA and 3 homers) ... Forsythe is the future and Lemonis is right to keep him involved and getting a lot of playing time so that's why they platoon so much

Last edited:

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Leggett also has 1 walk-off hit and 1 game winning run this year and appears to be the better clutch type hitter (he also has the better overall BA) ... Forsythe is the future and Lemonis is right to keep him involved and getting a lot of playing time so that's why they platoon so much

I know he's a short stop and defense is the priority, but with Lemonis's supposed recruiting prowess, surely (hopefully?) Forsythe's future is as a defensive replacement unless he develops some as a hitter.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
I know he's a short stop and defense is the priority, but with Lemonis's supposed recruiting prowess, surely (hopefully?) Forsythe's future is as a defensive replacement unless he develops some as a hitter.

Problem is there aren’t any better options coming down the pipe, most likely. There are a total of maybe 5 guys per class that have the defensive skills at SS of Forsythe, and at the same time can even hit .250 as a true freshmen in the SEC. 2 or 3 of those guys (minimum) are going straight to MLB as early round draft picks. That leaves maybe 2 or 3 guys for the whole country in college baseball each year. Everybody else has to give something up at SS, either take a strong bat with a suspect glove, or vice versa.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login