MS High School 1A cheatin’

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
TCPS in Tupelo has dismissed Football/Baseball Coach Shaun Holiday and their AD due to Crootin Violations.

Herbert Nenninger

Feb 9, 2019
Apparently Tupelo High got pissed because a few of their players got poached. Losing Holiday will probably hurt more than Boren.

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
Private schools crootin and playing in Misshsaa is nothing new. They need to play up a classification or two or play MAIS.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
TCPS in Tupelo has dismissed Football/Baseball Coach Shaun Holiday and their AD due to Crootin Violations.

I had heard there was something along those lines possibly going on there but figured it was just talk. You know the kind of talk I mean when you hear when someone suddenly gets some star players on that makes them a top team. I'm kinda surprised but it seems to happen a lot more often at small schools and it usually gets swept under the rug.

Aug 24, 2012
Please Explain who the victim is? The kid no longer sitting on the bench, and arguably getting a better education due to teacher student ratio?

Aug 22, 2012
Actually if you read the article it says their big impact transfers were from Saltillo and Philadelphia, so it doesn’t seem that THS has anything to do with this.

moturfdog

Aug 22, 2012
You would be correct about the student/teacher ratio, but that is the only aspect that would be better about a private school education Mississippi

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
What's funny to me is that TCPS forms obviously because there are families in and around Tupelo who want out of the public school and wanted a Christian-based education. This is nothing new (at least immediately new), there are a few relatively new Christian, non-segregated private schools all over Mississippi that have started in the past 20 years. I've got no problem with this, as long as education is the focus. The funny part is when they try to be good at sports, and turn the focus towards that. Then they turn into the exact type of thing they were attempting to get away from, with a strong hypocritical slant.

I assume this is what happened at Greenville Christian, too. The biggest thing it does is expose the groups who started the schools for the right reasons, and the ones who didn't.

yazoolegend

Nov 14, 2021
I wonder if they will get some welfare money illegally steered their way from our fine upstanding, God-fearing politicians.

Aug 22, 2012
Every Christian school is going to have a segment of the student body who is there for the faith-based education and another segment who is there to get away from public school and another who is there so their children can have that small-school be on 3 sports teams and the treasurer of the SGA type experience.

If someone would like to be one of the stars of their football team instead of just a contributor, and their parents can afford it, I say good for them.

It’s not like this wasn’t already happening. Junior doesn’t make the Tupelo baseball team so the family moves to Mooreville or Saltillo so he can try out there.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Every Christian school is going to have a segment of the student body who is there for the faith-based education and another segment who is there to get away from public school and another who is there so their children can have that small-school be on 3 sports teams and the treasurer of the SGA type experience.

If someone would like to be one of the stars of their football team instead of just a contributor, and their parents can afford it, I say good for them.

It’s not like this wasn’t already happening. Junior doesn’t make the Tupelo baseball team so the family moves to Mooreville or Saltillo so he can try out there.
I have no problem with any of what you posted. I think that's relatively normal.

What I meant by funny above is when an administrator or head coach intentionally starts trying to be elite in a sport, by recruiting kids that would normally not be there under any reasonable circumstances. Which is what this football coach was obviously trying to do. And I really don't even have a problem with this assuming they are breaking no rules - again, I just find it very funny and slightly hypocritical.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Please Explain who the victim is? The kid no longer sitting on the bench, and arguably getting a better education due to teacher student ratio?

They weren't bench riders. From what I can tell they were pretty high profile players from the schools they transferred from. The problem is the 1A schools that they compete against can't do the same thing. Most of them are from small towns and have a few players outside the city limits but not that many. They can't poach players from another city to come play on their team.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
They weren't bench riders. From what I can tell they were pretty high profile players from the schools they transferred from. The problem is the 1A schools that they compete against can't do the same thing. Most of them are from small towns and have a few players outside the city limits but not that many. They can't poach players from another city to come play on their team.
They actually can poach players. What they CAN'T do, is coach these independent teams, according to this article. But they absolutely CAN poach players, especially if they do it on the downlow. On top of this, I believe patdog told me there is a multiplier, so generally a private school has to play up in public school play.

Bill Shankly

Nov 27, 2020
Apparently Tupelo High got pissed because a few of their players got poached. Losing Holiday will probably hurt more than Boren.
It wasn't Tupelo. TCPS even had a kid from New York City on their team last year. They lost 18 Seniors the year before, most of whom started, and were even better last year. That just does NOT happen at a 1A MHSAA school. Their new "transfers" were almost all seniors.

Last edited:

Bill Shankly

Nov 27, 2020
They actually can poach players. What they CAN'T do, is coach these independent teams, according to this article. But they absolutely CAN poach players, especially if they do it on the downlow. On top of this, I believe patdog told me there is a multiplier, so generally a private school has to play up in public school play.
There is no multiplier in Mississippi. They are supposed to be limited to a 25 mile zone around the school if they play in the public league. TCPS is evidently unique, it's within 25 miles of everywhere.

Last edited:

Bill Shankly

Nov 27, 2020
There are two sets of them: 1: the kids who have been at the school their whole lives and get replaced by ringers on the sports steams 2: the schools that play by the rules and get beaten by the cheaters.

Last edited:

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
They were in MAIS but moved several years ago to the MHSAA largely because of travel issues.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
I think we know who turned them in

It wasn't Tupelo. TCPS even had a kid from New York City on their team last year. They lost 18 Seniors the year before, most of whom started, and were even better last year. That just does NOT happen at a 1A MHSAA school. Their new "transfers" were almost all seniors.

Our very own High School football connoisseur

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
You would be correct about the student/teacher ratio, but that is the only aspect that would be better about a private school education Mississippi

Not sure if you've been to Mississippi, but unfortunately most of our public schools are not very good, so in general, the private schools are better (although sometimes still not good). They pretty much have to be better than the public school they are competing with because very few very few places in Mississippi have the population and affluence to support a private school if it isn't better than the public alternative.

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012

I mean, you're wrong. Not to say there aren't some bad academies, but most of the top schools in MS are private schools, and a good portion of those better schools are parochial schools.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005

McLaurin Highschool has a lot of kids playing sports who live in the Brandon school zone and Pearl school district. If they have a family member who lives in the country, they just use their address, change a few names on bills and they are in. I know several kids who do it. They are friends with my son and daughter. Go from sitting on bench to starting.

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
The rule that Tupelo Christian violated is pretty simple.

If a coach at an MHSAA school coaches a team not affiliated with the school, players on that non-school affiliated team are not allowed to play on the coach's school team for one year.

MAIS does not have such a rule.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Bill spends several hours almost every weekend at high school football games since he was in high school other than just playing, He still goes to several area high school football games as well as many other sporting events each week and knows many folks in the coaching and administration positions at theses schools so he might actually know what he is talking about or at least know some of the reasons why TCPS had sanctions handed down.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
Not sure if you've been to Mississippi, but unfortunately most of our public schools are not very good, so in general, the private schools are better (although sometimes still not good). They pretty much have to be better than the public school they are competing with because very few very few places in Mississippi have the population and affluence to support a private school if it isn't better than the public alternative.

This is true in Jackson, the Delta, and in some other extremely rural pockets in the state. But it’s far from a universal truth that applies to the state as a whole….particularly DeSoto County, NE Mississippi, Rankin / Madison Counties, and the coast.

In general, the more in the boondocks you are in MS (or anywhere in the Southeast) the less likely you are to be near a high performing public school.

Last edited:

kired

Aug 22, 2008
Had to look it up this morning... I know coaches who coach or host clinics with players from other schools during the summer, but this makes sense now. Sounds like it's not a problem as long as they player doesn't transfer to his school.

3.1.5 A student transferring from one member school to another shall be ruled ineligible for onecalendar year from the date of enrollment because of “undue influence” if any of the followingsituations exist:

1. It is determined that a coach, including non-faculty, of the receiving school coached an out of-school team on which the athlete played within the past twelve (12) months.

2. It is determined that a coach, including non-faculty, at the receiving school acted as aprivate athletic instructor for the transferring athlete, regardless of whether the coach waspaid for his/her services and/or expertise.

3. It is determined the transferring student played on an out-of-school team made up of asimple majority of students from the receiving school.

4. A student transfers to a new school within one calendar year of the relocation of his/hercoach, including non-faculty, to that school.

3.1.6 Article 3.1.5 (1-4) shall be enforced even in the event the student made a bona-fide move intothe receiving school’s attendance zone.

Bill Shankly

Nov 27, 2020
This is true in Jackson, the Delta, and in some other extremely rural pockets in the state. But it’s far from a universal truth that applies to the state as a whole….particularly DeSoto County, NE Mississippi, Rankin / Madison Counties, and the coast.

In general, the more in the boondocks you are in MS (or anywhere im the Southeast) the less likely you are to be near a high performing public school.
This is the truth. There are very good public schools in those areas of the state.

blackjackdog3

Aug 23, 2012
Do all of the larger MAIS schools recruit? If so are they bringing in 1-3 kids or are they stacking there roster?

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Back in the day, there were rumors of Strider Academy (1A) recruiting players. In the 80-90s they were beating the hell out of everyone. Part of that was because Coach Bradshaw (think Bear Bryant as a HS coach), but part of that was because they always had a couple ringers. In 1A ball, one great player playing both ways can win you a tons of games. It seemed like the always had some out of state kid that would kill you.

I can't confirm any of it, but everyone talked about it as if it was true.

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
Back in the day, there were rumors of Strider Academy (1A) recruiting players. In the 80-90s they were beating the hell out of everyone. Part of that was because Coach Bradshaw (think Bear Bryant as a HS coach), but part of that was because they always had a couple ringers. In 1A ball, one great player playing both ways can win you a tons of games. It seemed like the always had some out of state kid that would kill you.

I can't confirm any of it, but everyone talked about it as if it was true.

I really don’t have a problem with crootin as long as everyone can do it. Some coaches are just lazy and working on getting their Admin job and sitting in the schools counselors office all day. If a player wants to go to a school that he feels he can succeed in, let them go.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login