Msbullie on why we have the Abner's Chicken Toss at halftime...

Status
Not open for further replies.

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
and Ole Miss does not. If you didn't know, the owner of Abner's is an Ole Miss alum...</p>
<h4>Why don't you ask him why we have the hokey </h4> _________________________________________________ <div class="messagebody"> chicken toss and his beloved alma mater does not. Anyone with a grain of sense can see why and it isn't just about money either. </div>

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
and Ole Miss does not. If you didn't know, the owner of Abner's is an Ole Miss alum...</p>
<h4>Why don't you ask him why we have the hokey </h4> _________________________________________________ <div class="messagebody"> chicken toss and his beloved alma mater does not. Anyone with a grain of sense can see why and it isn't just about money either. </div>

Stormrider81

May 1, 2006
Admittedly it's students trying to catch rubber chickens with a clothes hamper, but it's not a big deal. What else do you have to do at halftime of a State basketball game? As far as our image goes, we are typically confused with Ole Miss by the national media and are thought of as backwards rednecks anyway. Sitting at halfcourt and having conversations about literary classics of the 19th century wouldn't change that, so I don't see the problem with a chicken toss. I like Abner's, I ate at the one in Vegas a lot and now eat at the one in Brandon regularly. I've eaten from both locations in Oxford. Some people are too hung up on the whole Ole Miss/MSU rivalry.

VegasDawg13

Jun 11, 2007
That's what's so wrong with it.

It's almost as dumb as someone who would think that us having it is an Ole Miss conspiracy.

HighPointDawg

Feb 9, 2005
I agree people get way too worked up on the UM/MSU rivalry.. but really I think it is mainly 1) INTERNET posters and 2) People that live in MS and are close to a lot of the lower class fans of each school (sorry Rebels you have them too).

I used to live in Memphis/N. MS and if an Ole Miss fan saw you with MSU something (car tag, key chain, shirt, etc..) then it would generally be a nice topic of who sucks worse (not all the time but a lot) but now I live ~4 hours away and it is so completely different. There is a number of Ole Miss/MSU fan's here but when I run into Ole Miss alum in business or even this weekend at the park they act like we are old roommates from college or something because we both went to school in Mississippi.. it's like being in NYC and seeing somebody with Ole Miss shirt and it is no longer a rivalry but somebody that you associate yourself with because you are both most likely from the same area.

This is how everybody outside of the state of MS sees us..They basically think we are all related but some kids get sent to Oxford and some to Starkville..

awalkerdog

Feb 18, 2007
I couldn't agree more. I made the mistake of taken a friend of mine, that is a Alabama fan, to the Hump. He has made fun of that **** every since...."What are going to do next have cow tipping ha ha ha ha ". I hate it and who ever the dumb son of a ***** that lets it happen should pack there bags and leave with that ***** Doc.

Todd4State

Mar 3, 2008
Is she saying that we are forced to have the chicken toss? Is she saying that Ole Miss makes us do it to look redneck? Does she really believe that? </p>

KurtRambis4

Aug 30, 2006
basketball fan can make of anything that happens at the hump is beyond me, since coleman is one of the top 3 places in the universe to watch basketball. god, shoot me.</p>
a friend of mine, that is a Alabama fan, to the Hump. He has made fun of that **** every since</p>

AnalRetentiveReb

Feb 15, 2007
I agree. Where someone went to school should not matter if they put out a good product. Abners has some damn fine chicken. Oby's has some damn good salads and sandwiches. Mugshots has damn good burgers. Good products earn my dollars, not where someone went to school or the school that they cheer for.

Chem70

Feb 23, 2008
simple deductive reasoning. I'll make it easy for you so that you can understand what she is saying:
1. Abners' first location was in Oxford, and the corporate office is based there;
2. Abners is owned by an Ole Miss lover;
3. Abners is a sponsor at Ole Miss basketball games;
4. At Ole Miss basektball games Abners does not sponsor a rubber chicken toss;
5. The rubber chicken toss is the most ludicrous, embarrassing halftime presentation in college basketball today;
6. Abners sponsors the rubber chicken toss at MSU, Ole Miss' bitter rival;</p>

7. Ole Miss folks and all other MSU rivals laugh at MSU for having this absurdly redneck spectacle at halftime; and
8. The Abners folks are getting their money's worth by making MSU look bad, laughing behind our backs all the while.
The Sixpack people who have posted on this thread excluded, many people have voiced the opinion that this theory is accurate. I say we toss the rubber chicken event and reject Abners' money until the rubber chicken toss is utilized at Ole Miss basketball games.</p>

Mar 3, 2008
I would bet the person who sold it to them could care less what we think. Their job is to sell advertising. They probably make a commission of what them sell. If Abner's pays the money and wants to do a chicken toss then oh well. I'm sure an MSU alum could pay the money and have their company host a halftime show at Ole Miss. It may be bad but it's got plenty of pople taking about it right now so.........forget it I'm out. Going to get me some chicken tenders from Abner's.

VegasDawg13

Jun 11, 2007
You're implying they make us do it to enforce our reputation of being rednecks. Do rednecks toss rubber chickens around in the back yard or something? I feel like I've known my fair share of rednecks in my life, but I know nothing of this.

Let me do some deductive reasoning for you Chem:
1) This theory of Abner having it out for State so he makes us do the chicken toss to make us look bad is a crazy Ole Miss conspiracy theory.
2) You agree with this crazy Ole Miss conspiracy theory.
3) Crazy Ole Miss theories are very popular amongst GPAAs.
4) We are on this board because we don't like dealing with GPAAs.
5) You should go to GP so we don't have to deal with you.

Chem70

Feb 23, 2008
Whom do you think controls the content of the advertising? It is certainly not MSU. It's the sponsor whose advertising dollars are being used. Did I say I agree with the GP poster? No. I was explaining the logic of her theory to those of you who obviously did not understand what she was saying, and I was pointing out that many other people believe as she does. Do I think we should eliminate the chicken toss? Hell yes!! And as I said, if Abners insists on spending their money at MSU for a chicken toss, then I say we should reject their money unless they require the Rebs to do the same. Do you disagree with that?

VegasDawg13

Jun 11, 2007
Yes, I do. If they are paying us what we require for sponsoring a halftime show, we shouldn't "refuse" it. That would be stupid.

What I think we should do is work with their people to come up with something less stupid. To say to Abner's, "Well, you don't make the Rebels do it, so why should we have to do it?" makes us sound childish.

And I don't think anyone was struggling to understand what she was saying; I think they all just thought that it was stupid.

Todd4State

Mar 3, 2008
I just find it absurdly hard to believe that we are forced to do this chicken toss game at halftime. I didn't know about it until I went to the LSU game with my Rowdies are on spring break ticket, much less anyone else knows about this, or cares. It's OUR stadium, we have a say as far as what goes on as far as halftime entertainment.

Also, why is this "redneck"? They do stuff like that at minor league and major league ballparks across the country. It's just something to fill the time, and I actually thought it was quite amusing, but not because it was redneck.

Thanks Chem70 for filling in the blanks for me since I was being too logical.

Man, I've been boycotting Outback since 99, and now this.

KurtRambis4

Aug 30, 2006
your and dubmass. hey i got an idea, let's get the lodge to sponsor a bullriding event during halftime at ole miss games!? that'll show 'em.

Todd4State

Mar 3, 2008
No, we need to make them do a sorority fashion show to show the whole world how stuck up they are.

Or make them have a drinking contest- And fans stick around for an Ole Miss halftime tradition- Presidents and ********.

MarriedtoStateGrad

Mar 3, 2008
Don't think for a moment Ole Miss crowd would refuse to do it, especially if coupons for free chicken was involved. I don't know why Abner's does this at State or who came up with the idea. Abner is in business and makes money from State fans in Starkville. He is not going to engage in a conspiracy to ruin his own business. Geez, a rubber chicken conspiracy. Only a GP'er could dream this up.

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
If Mississippi State didn't want to have the chicken toss at the halftime show, all they have to do is say no. Apparently, green is more important than a clothes basket, rubber chicken, and a slingshot. And I see no problem with that.

cutbaitdawg

Feb 24, 2008
The largest franchisee of Mikey D's in the southeast, had a 1/4 lbs er' chunck at 1/2 time in the tad pad.Biz is biz.

orthodawg08

Feb 23, 2008
Who cares where the person who owns the business is from? Catching chickens in front of thousands and in front of all your buds is cool and sounds like fun. Halftime activities are meant to entertain and pass the time. How is this not accomplishing both?
Signed,
Guywhoshootshalfcourtshotandhitsthetopofthebackboard

Aug 20, 2006
Its just a time waster for halftime. Who gives a ****?!?!

/I also like the sumo suits
//And the raceing weiner guys

</p>

WillemWallace

Feb 20, 2008
that Ole Miss/Abners is forcing Mississippi State to toss rubber chickens during halftime.

That is absolutely the most absurd thought process I have ever come across.

Really, even Gene couldn't spin it hard enough to come up with that one.

I assure you, Abners would be just as happy with the advertising that Ole Miss does for them at games, and would be fine with no chicken toss.

prairiedawg

Aug 1, 2012
I just don't give a **** what somebody outside this state thinks of me if my school has a halftime event that tosses rubber chickens into a basket tied to my head. F' them. I think it was a funny contest, maybe a little adolescent, but still funny. However, it's been old for several years and it's time for a new one. The bama guy who said cow tippin, hell yeah, bring it on that would be funny as hell too.

Woof Man Jack

Apr 20, 2006
I thought we had a few major issues at MSU...you know , the whole President resigning thing...and oh yeah, our baseball program continues to be driven into the ground. Not to mention, the whole underfunded athletic and academic departments.

However, apprently I am mistaken. Our biggest concern seems to be a freaking halftime chicken toss..that some dumb *** actually pays the University to have. It's good to see we have our act together.

Porkchop.sixpack

Jan 23, 2007
I happen to think the chicken toss is funny. Every single time I see it. But, then, I think someone pretty much proved several months back I am entertained by rather childish stunts and behavior. Add alcohol to your chicken tossing watching experience and it gets that much funnier.

Everything doesn't have to be some dramatic production. Find a little humor in the simple things in life.

Apr 16, 2006
I know USM fans who won't go to Sweet Peppers or McAllisters in Hattiesburg because of ownership. Fine, more food for me. It's a pretty silly thought process.</p>

RebelBruiser

Aug 21, 2007
Don't forget that Abner actually played on the football team at Ole Miss as well. That means he went through the brainwashing process his freshman year that all athletes do, where we train them to do anything and everything in their power to bring down MSU at all times.

Just wait until you see what Deuce has planned. It's going to bring MSU down forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login