MSU 75 Lamar 60 MBB

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Molinar with 17. Smith 14 & Brooks 10. Out rebounded 44 - 24.

Watched a little while in the first and second half. If these guys can get some chemistry, Molinar the ball, and keep playing hard on defense we cloud make some noise this year and be fun to watch.

I still feel weird watching us putting pressure on the perimeter on defense instead of playing back on our heels. It's kind of like seeing us catch the football again and not drawing up in anxiety of whether we catch it or not.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Appreciate the summary, but this team makes little sense to me. Good talent, but it's not translating on the court.

Lamar is one of the absolute worst teams in all of D1 and we beat them by 15 on our home floor. Should have been 30+ and it matters that we can't be focused enough to blow out teams we should blow out.

I'm not seeing very much to get excited about, but I really want them to change that.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
The one thing we have that we've never had that I can remember:

D E P T H

stateu1

Mar 21, 2016

Watched a little while in the first and second half. If these guys can get some chemistry, Molinar the ball, and keep playing hard on defense we cloud make some noise this year and be fun to watch.

I still feel weird watching us putting pressure on the perimeter on defense instead of playing back on our heels. It's kind of like seeing us catch the football again and not drawing up in anxiety of whether we catch it or not.

Thanks I bleed. Good write up

stateu1

Mar 21, 2016
Appreciate the summary, but this team makes little sense to me. Good talent, but it's not translating on the court.

Lamar is one of the absolute worst teams in all of D1 and we beat them by 15 on our home floor. Should have been 30+ and it matters that we can't be focused enough to blow out teams we should blow out.

I'm not seeing very much to get excited about, but I really want them to change that.

Good write up.

stateu1

Mar 21, 2016

They’d rather splooge to where kiffen is not going.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007

They haven't played together enough to figure out our best rotation of players during the game. We have some very good pieces to the puzzle and I hope we figure out the best way to put them out on the court. We're going to do okay still we might struggle with teams that are really tight and experienced. I do know that teams can get hot so you never know.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
They haven't played together enough to figure out our best rotation of players during the game. We have some very good pieces to the puzzle and I hope we figure out the best way to put them out on the court. We're going to do okay still we might struggle with teams that are really tight and experienced. I do know that teams can get hot so you never know.

I want them to be successful obviously. There are no more patsies on our schedule so the **** gets real now.

If we beat Minnesota and Colorado State, two quality teams, then the season has real possibilities. If we play like we did tonight, we could lose them both and struggle with Georgia State, Furman and Winthrop. It needs to come together quickly.

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
Off the bus - we look like a final four team. The biggest thing right now is figuring out rotation. I hate Cam Matthews is getting less minutes because he does the little things.

PirateDawg

Jan 9, 2020

I watched the first half as well. I like the pieces of this team. Molinar, Moore, Smith, Brooks and Jefferies all played quality minutes. On offense they looked disjointed. We had several unforced turnovers where the ball was thrown back court or out of bounds to a player that didn't break the way the ball was thrown. Defense looked better at times than over the last 4-5 years. We are quick except when we switch on screens. We left 3 point shooters and players breaking to the basket open which didn't cost us as much against Lamar but will against quality opponents. TTU just beat them 89-57 so we've still got some work to do. The good news is its early and there is time for them to gel. This can be a very good team as you stated if they start playing together. My concern is I haven't seen Howland get any of his teams to play team ball first and street ball second. It has been the other way around and against good teams we get exposed.

MagnoliaHunter

Jan 23, 2007
On the radio they said Tuesday was the first day everyone was able to practice together. So going forward it should only get better.

archdog

Aug 22, 2012
Our offensive mentality is what will keep this team from beating anyone with a quality team. We look like a middle school team against the 96 Bulls when I watch Duke and Gonzaga play. Both Duke and Gonzaga would beat us by 20 on our court right now. They pass the ball, generate lay ups on offense, and push the tempo. None of which we even try to do.

BonzoGoesToCollege

Aug 24, 2012
Our offensive mentality is what will keep this team from beating anyone with a quality team. We look like a middle school team against the 96 Bulls when I watch Duke and Gonzaga play. Both Duke and Gonzaga would beat us by 20 on our court right now. They pass the ball, generate lay ups on offense, and push the tempo. None of which we even try to do.

Couldn’t have said it better myself. Our half court sets are brutally painful to watch. Been that way every year under Howland. He needs some quality assistants.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Couldn’t have said it better myself. Our half court sets are brutally painful to watch. Been that way every year under Howland. He needs some quality assistants.

I think I've finally reached the point with Howland that I reached with Stansbury. If he can't get this team pulled together and tournament worthy, it's probably time to start looking to a different future.

As with Stansbury, I doubt that will be e good for us over the next 5 years, but I'm pretty much checked out with what I've been watching for the last few years. It may just be that disciplined, fundamental basketball is a thing of the past, but I don't think so.

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
You can always count on Howland teams playing down to the competition. Maybe that's why he scheduled so many cream puffs. Trying to break the habit.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Off the bus - we look like a final four team. The biggest thing right now is figuring out rotation. I hate Cam Matthews is getting less minutes because he does the little things.

We look like a final four team if you are comparing our ten deep to other teams ten deeps. But our strength is our depth and that just doesn't matter that much in basketball because it's hard to have a rotation of more than 8 players that really works. We are probably going to have some good pieces on the bench and they are going to make a difference when we get into foul trouble or have injuries (or they will help us avoid injuries by not overworking players), but I don't know that our ceiling is that high unless we really just develop exceptional chemistry.

BonzoGoesToCollege

Aug 24, 2012
I think I've finally reached the point with Howland that I reached with Stansbury. If he can't get this team pulled together and tournament worthy, it's probably time to start looking to a different future.

As with Stansbury, I doubt that will be e good for us over the next 5 years, but I'm pretty much checked out with what I've been watching for the last few years. It may just be that disciplined, fundamental basketball is a thing of the past, but I don't think so.

Like Stansbury, Howland seems to get alot of talent. In 2018-2019, they couldn't win a single tourney game with 5 4* and 5* players in addition to Q. Lost to Liberty.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

Disciplined is easy enough, and fundamental as far as individual fundamentals is achievable, but if you mean fundamentals as far as executing an offensive set, it's just tough the way the game operates today with players coming up through AAU and the transfer portal and needing five players that can execute to run anything other than simple set plays. If you are in position to recruit big cities, you can certainly find good basketball players that are a little light on athleticism and try to make up for it by having guys that play really well together, and occasionally you get one legit athlete and you are a contender (ala the older Butler teams). I'm not sure we can realistically put a team like that together with our natural recruiting ground.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008

So you are saying that compared to the best 2 teams in the country, one of which will almost certainly lead the country in offensive stats, we dont compare well?

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
So you are saying that compared to the best 2 teams in the country, one of which will almost certainly lead the country in offensive stats, we dont compare well?

We don't compare well to a team that is probably not Top 40 right now, Louisville. That's the issue.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Disciplined is easy enough, and fundamental as far as individual fundamentals is achievable, but if you mean fundamentals as far as executing an offensive set, it's just tough the way the game operates today with players coming up through AAU and the transfer portal and needing five players that can execute to run anything other than simple set plays. If you are in position to recruit big cities, you can certainly find good basketball players that are a little light on athleticism and try to make up for it by having guys that play really well together, and occasionally you get one legit athlete and you are a contender (ala the older Butler teams). I'm not sure we can realistically put a team like that together with our natural recruiting ground.
I've been saying for years that I wish we would just go the way of a Jackson street ball league. You're right, we simply don't have the access to the talent needed to run a northern scheme.

I'm not saying we need to hire Thomas Billups, but.....well, maybe I am. Just kidding, sort of, but we do need a guy in the same vein as Calipari (obviously I know we can't get him), but a guy who will simply recruit the hell out of MS and run a dribble-drive high flying offense.

Last edited:

oxfordrebel22

Oct 31, 2013

Watch a few minutes of an Ole Miss game and you'll feel much better about how your offense looks, I'll guarantee it.

DawgatAuburn

Apr 25, 2006
If we beat Minnesota and Colorado State, two quality teams, then the season has real possibilities.

Minnesota is not a quality team. Their record so far might be good but they are a nearly unanimous pick to finish 14th in the Big 10. It's a complete rebuild up there. Colorado State most definitely has the better team of the two. They play St. Mary's tomorrow which is probably their toughest opponent so far.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Minnesota is not a quality team. Their record so far might be good but they are a nearly unanimous pick to finish 14th in the Big 10. It's a complete rebuild up there. Colorado State most definitely has the better team of the two. They play St. Mary's tomorrow which is probably their toughest opponent so far.

I'm sure you're right, but theyll easily be the 2nd or 3rd best we've played up to now and we're not exactly putting SWAC level teams away in the 1st half.

I'll be happy with a win vs them.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login