MSU BAsketball coach of the year

Dawghouse

Sep 14, 2011
I know there are many games to play but there's not questioning both clubs have turned it around so who you got between Jans and Purcell for COY at MSU?

I'm going Jans. I think the women are "better" but i really think Jans has squeezed blood from a turnip. I've never seen a set of guards so bad at shooting or driving in my life. Jan's defensive coaching is the only reason we have a chance and that's 100% coaching. On the other hand, Purcell has some serious young talent.

I guess the final straw will be end of season results.

I haven't given a crap about mens bball for a long time(Hawaii anyone?) but I'm finding a way to stream every game. That said, I have this gut feeling we fall short sadly. Might be my MSU defeatist attitude but I can say I love this team 1000x more than any Howland team and I'm back baby.

On the other hand, I haven't seen a single women's game because no one streams women's basketball for me to pirate but I've followed their games and they are exceeding my expectations tremendously.

If the women make the tourney and win a couple I might change my vote.

TLDR; both teams are on the upswing and whoever makes it further gets my vote for COY but I'm a Jans fan regardless.

curseddawgs

Jun 16, 2021
I’ll go Jans because I didn’t expect the men to be on the bubble this late in the year. I expected the women to be here but the improvement they showed since the loss at Georgia is impressive

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Both of them have done a great job this year. Both have had some head scratching losses and both have had some surprising wins. I feel a helluva lot better about the state of both programs than I did 6 weeks ago.

I would give the edge to Jans based solely on the fact that his big wins (TCU, Marquette) are bigger than Purcell’s (Tennessee).

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
I really can't pick one over the other.

That said, I'm really impressed with how bought in both teams seem to be to what the coaches are doing. They're both leaders and that's especially impressive for Purcell in his first head coaching stint.

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011
Definitely Jans. He's made a huge turnaround in men's basketball, plus (regardless of how it's officially viewed) his job is much more important than the women's coach. Not to mention, you could probably ask 10 casual MSU sports fans who Purcell is, and only a couple would know.

Jans probably should be SEC Coach of the Year.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login