MSU MBK vs Winthrop in Jackson

EX1262

Sep 17, 2021
How, in the year 2021, is it acceptable for a Division 1 basketball game to be broadcast via radio-only? Shame on the Athletic Dept, the Jackson Coliseum, and Winthrop for agreeing to play an "invisible" game.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Its in Jackson...is there even infrastructure to televise a game there? I kid, but kinda serious too, based on comments about that arena thru the years. Apparently the game will be a success if the lights stay on the whole game and the scoreboard doesnt malfunction. Hopefully their cups smell like roses.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
I don't see much point in playing there anymore. It's simply not a modern day arena, more fit for high schools (at best) and the rodeo/state fair.

If we want to go on the road, in-state, neutral site it needs to be in Southaven or Tupelo. I haven't been to the Coast Coliseum in years, not sure what it's like anymore, but I figure it's more for other events too.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I don't see much point in playing there anymore. It's simply not a modern day arena, more fit for high schools (at best) and the rodeo/state fair.

If we want to go on the road, in-state, neutral site it needs to be in Southaven or Tupelo. I haven't been to the Coast Coliseum in years, not sure what it's like anymore, but I figure it's more for other events too.

SOuthaven and Tupelo don't make much sense as far as giving people the option to see games that they otherwise can't see. Those fans can already get to Starkville pretty easily. I guess they might make sense during christmas break just to have fans.

The Coast coliseum would be good. Really need to be pushing our presence there since it's one of the few areas of the state with potential for growth. Only caveat is that while the coliseum is fine in general, I don't know what their court is actually like. I think they've held some lower level college games there but not positive.

dawg0204

Dec 13, 2020
It’s pretty bad, especially for a city of Jackson’s size. It’s unfortunate that something better can’t be built in the metro area.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I think the last time we played in Southaven, it drew about 500 attendance. I do think they need to rotate between Jackson and the Coast though. As bad as the Jackson coliseum is, it at least does draw a decent crowd, and would probably draw a little more if it was every other year instead of every year.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
SOuthaven and Tupelo don't make much sense as far as giving people the option to see games that they otherwise can't see. Those fans can already get to Starkville pretty easily. I guess they might make sense during christmas break just to have fans.
Well...yeah. That's the entire point.

And I think Desoto is growing just fine, so seems to be me a no-brainer. Jackson is slightly closer than Memphis too.

I'm not against playing a game in Jackson, we really should, if there was a decent option. But there just isn't.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
I think the last time we played in Southaven, it drew about 500 attendance. I do think they need to rotate between Jackson and the Coast though. As bad as the Jackson coliseum is, it at least does draw a decent crowd, and would probably draw a little more if it was every other year instead of every year.
I could see this, as the Memphis Metro is hardly an MSU stronghold. I guess we have our share of fans there, but probably not a stop we should make that often, unless we are playing memphis in the Forum or something.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
That's probably just as many or more than they are drawing at home now

patdog

May 28, 2007
Oh, I'm sure it's more than they'd draw in Starkville right before Christmas. I think it's still a good idea to play in Jackson. Just think they should probably cut back to every other year and play on the coast on the alternate years.

Misfit

Oct 21, 2018
That arena is not owned by the city of Jackson. What is really unfortunate is that Mississippi won't upgrade that embarrassment known as the Mississippi Coliseum, because it is located in the Jackson city limits and the legislators have hated Jackson for decades.

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
That arena is not owned by the city of Jackson. What is really unfortunate is that Mississippi won't upgrade that embarrassment known as the Mississippi Coliseum, because it is located in the Jackson city limits and the legislators have hated Jackson for decades.

They just renovated it. All new seating, upgraded bathrooms and concessions. Trademart added on to it. Now the streets around it, which are Jackson's, are a damn travesty. You'll lose your car in some of those holes.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
I have not been in the coliseum in a few years but supposedly there has been some renovations in the inside. Maybe not enough to I make a difference

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
And the pretzels, don't forget them, don't want any hard stale pretzels at a ballgame.

crackerjax

Aug 24, 2012
They just renovated it. All new seating, upgraded bathrooms and concessions. Trademart added on to it. Now the streets around it, which are Jackson's, are a damn travesty. You'll lose your car in some of those holes.

The coliseum is still a dump. It is sad the metro does not have a decent arena for big events, but not sure who would be able to pay for a new one.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Its in Jackson...is there even infrastructure to televise a game there? I kid, but kinda serious too, based on comments about that arena thru the years. Apparently the game will be a success if the lights stay on the whole game and the scoreboard doesnt malfunction. Hopefully their cups smell like roses.

I know everyone is shitting on the coliseum in this thread and based off the last time I went, justifiably so. Although from what I’ve heard from people who have been recently, the renovations are nice.

You know how fat people can seem to call other fat people fat and there is no offense until a skinny person calls someone fat. That is kinda how your post comes off. I’m guessing you’ve never been to the coliseum and really don’t know anything about it or Jackson.

Misfit

Oct 21, 2018
I'm not trying to be defender of Jackson's government, but I believe it is still the only state capital that does not receive an annual appropriation from the state government to offset lost property tax income because so much of the city's prime real estate is taken up by state government buildings which, of course, do not pay property taxes.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Well...yeah. That's the entire point.

And I think Desoto is growing just fine, so seems to be me a no-brainer. Jackson is slightly closer than Memphis too.

I'm not against playing a game in Jackson, we really should, if there was a decent option. But there just isn't.

I didn't realize how far Southhaven was to Starkville. We probably should rotate games there and Jackson and the Coast during Christmas break. I know Jackson doesn't have a decent coliseum, but as long as fans are showing up, I think we should play there. Not sure if logistics work, but I'd love to play two games over Christmas and hit each of the three locations 2 out of 3 years.

I'm probably in the minority, but I'd even be good with playing USM home and home in basketball. Then, if we could play at Hattiesburg and Desoto one year, and Jackson and the Coast the next year, there'd be at least one game in South Mississippi every year.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
I know everyone is shitting on the coliseum in this thread and based off the last time I went, justifiably so. Although from what I’ve heard from people who have been recently, the renovations are nice.

You know how fat people can seem to call other fat people fat and there is no offense until a skinny person calls someone fat. That is kinda how your post comes off. I’m guessing you’ve never been to the coliseum and really don’t know anything about it or Jackson.
Its how I react when someone ***** on MSU. I tell them to 17 off because even though the are right, only I can **** on MSU.

When I was in college I think there was just 1 season where the team played in the state off campus. The '03-04 season they played in Tupelo at Bancorp South Arena(or whatever its called now). I havent had the pleasure of watching a game in Jackson.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I'm not trying to be defender of Jackson's government, but I believe it is still the only state capital that does not receive an annual appropriation from the state government to offset lost property tax income because so much of the city's prime real estate is taken up by state government buildings which, of course, do not pay property taxes.

If that's true, the legislature needs to approximate what that money would be and start doing basic government functions in Jackson. Make sure at least the roads downtown are paved. Maybe expand the reach and jurisdiction of the capital police. Maybe do a state charter/magnet school that is technically open to anybody in the state but without dorms and so geared towards Jackson residents that want a good school without having to pay for private school.

The only way you can improve Jackson is to find ways to circumvent the local government. The challenge would be that the more basic functions the legislature would do, the more opportunity for the City of Jackson to further cut basic services to fund corruption.

Fighting Irish.sixpack

Oct 26, 2012
Say what you want about the Coliseum............

but Andy Gibson has done a tremendous job as Ag Commissioner. The changes that he has made at the fairgrounds are incredible.

SteelCurtain74

Oct 28, 2019
If that's true, the legislature needs to approximate what that money would be and start doing basic government functions in Jackson. Make sure at least the roads downtown are paved. Maybe expand the reach and jurisdiction of the capital police. Maybe do a state charter/magnet school that is technically open to anybody in the state but without dorms and so geared towards Jackson residents that want a good school without having to pay for private school.

The only way you can improve Jackson is to find ways to circumvent the local government. The challenge would be that the more basic functions the legislature would do, the more opportunity for the City of Jackson to further cut basic services to fund corruption.

There is already a charter school in Jackson, Smilow Prep/Reimagine Prep on Northside Dr.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021

Some pretty good ideas here, and I'm hoping that the state police coming in to the capital district is the start of that. I'm with you, the actual city of Jackson beyond downtown is not savable by anybody except the citizens themselves, or some private investor.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login