MSU starting nursing program in Meridian

Duke Humphrey

Oct 3, 2013
Goes along with already existing physician assistant program.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
I was wondering why the hoopla about it.

The second paragraph puzzled me a little as there are a bunch of bachelors and associates degree programs.

Board members approved the university’s Phase I proposal to plan the professional Accelerated Master’s Graduate Entry Nursing Program at MSU-Meridian’s Riley Campus. The 12-month, fast-track pathway will be unlike other nursing programs across the state as it prepares college graduates holding non-nursing degrees for initial registered nurse licensure and offers a quality, direct entry route into a new career of nursing practice in hospitals and community settings. A distinct advantage is that this option allows individuals who seek a career change or chose this track later in their educational career to enter a nursing program with federal funding for graduate education.

These two paragraphs further down provide a good explanation...

While having an overall positive impact in addressing the state’s nursing shortage, the program is expected to especially help the East Central Region, where one in four nursing positions in Meridian is vacant. While MSU-Meridian’s accelerated program will be the first in Mississippi, about 75 such programs have been developed nationwide since 1970 to offer a fast-track, quality route to registered nurse licensure for college graduates seeking a new career. A majority of registered nurses enter the field through associate or bachelor’s degree pathways.

MSU-Meridian Head of Campus and Associate Vice President Terry Dale Cruse said the proposed program will graduate up to 60 new registered nurses annually. These graduates will be prepared as generalists in nursing practice with an emphasis on interprofessional and team leadership.

Reactions: Mr. Cook

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
That may be another nail in The W’s coffin if they also begin to offer this in Starkville.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
That may be another nail in The W’s coffin if they also begin to offer this in Starkville.
Unlikely to happen in my opinion — just based on what’s written in that press release.
It's crazy how State is forced to put those things in Meridian by the IHL. Meridian is a big **** hole.
Nah. It’s not so much forcing as it is that Meridian is serving as the vehicle by which State introduces new programs.

It’s basically a Poor Man’s Clemson - Greenville relationship. **

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Good news. Really wish it was in Starkville, but I suppose beggars can’t be choosers.

Should certainly give us a huge boost when everyone’s favorite meaningless early September topic rolls around…..in-state fall enrollment smack.

Reactions: The Maroon Pug

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Unlikely to happen in my opinion — just based on what’s written in that press release.

Nah. It’s not so much forcing as it is that Meridian is serving as the vehicle by which State introduces new programs.

It’s basically a Poor Man’s Clemson - Greenville relationship. **
It's like USM on the coast, but without the coast. USM is about to start a PA program down there too. The IHL forces this stuff on schools. Meridian is a horrific place for these programs. There are barely decent rental properties and there's no dorm option. Put that stuff at Starkville.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
It's like USM on the coast, but without the coast. USM is about to start a PA program down there too. The IHL forces this stuff on schools. Meridian is a horrific place for these programs. There are barely decent rental properties and there's no dorm option. Put that stuff at Starkville.
Dorms for career-changing people that the program’s designed for?

No way.

These aren’t for college freshmens.

Now if the vote to establish the college went the other way and MSU’s main campus was in Meridian instead of Starkville…

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Dorms for career-changing people that the program’s designed for?

No way.

These aren’t for college freshmens.

Now if the vote to establish the college went the other way and MSU’s main campus was in Meridian instead of Starkville…
Nursing is absolutely for freshmen. PA school is a straight 8 hr a day class. They can't work. They can't pay bills without running up student loans. That's a terrible way for education to go. But this is MS where funding education and doing what's right isn't important. It's about back door politics.

Reactions: peewee.sixpack

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Nursing is absolutely for freshmen. PA school is a straight 8 hr a day class. They can't work. They can't pay bills without running up student loans. That's a terrible way for education to go. But this is MS where funding education and doing what's right isn't important.
Nursing may be for freshmen but this program being offered is graduate level.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Nursing may be for freshmen but this program being offered is graduate level.
And that's my point. A graduate nursing program is so limited. What's the point really? Once you've gotten your RN cert it's pointless beyond NP. NP is so related to PA it's kinda pointless. Offer a full nursing program in Starkville, we're using UMC and The W for regular nursing program relationships. It's BS!

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
And that's my point. A graduate nursing program is so limited. What's the point really? Once you've gotten your RN cert it's pointless beyond NP. NP is so related to PA it's kinda pointless. Offer a full nursing program in Starkville, we're using UMC and The W for regular nursing program relationships. It's BS!
You’re right. It is limited.

The fact that it is limited to a specific audience is why MSU is offering it.

This program is designed as a Hedge against the looming Higher Ed Enrollment Cliff.

MSU is going this route since Meridian CC has LPN education covered.

Dawghouse

Sep 14, 2011
It's actually a nursing program for people with a bachelors degree looking to move into the nursing field so it's completely different from anything else being offered in the state.

I've been looking at going to nursing school and this program would be perfect for me because I have a bachelors but not in anything related to nursing. This would get me in and out in 12 months which is the shortest track to RN I've seen. I'd have to take some pre-reqs I'm sure but I can do that online.

Only downside (and it's a big one) is Meridian. I'm not moving my family there for sure. Looking forward to finding out more about it for sure.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Would you prefer the Jackson **** hole?

It should all be in Starkville. Meridian is awful. This isn't medical school. It's a nursing and PA school. Even the Meridian campus is split into two schools on opposite ends of Meridian. It's silly.

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
Goes along with already existing physician assistant program.

MUW has had a graduate level nursing program for years. And has been widely considered and voted the #1 nursing program in the state as well.

macpappy

Aug 8, 2010
It's crazy how State is forced to put those things in Meridian by the IHL. Meridian is a big **** hole.
Which is also why 1 in 4 positions are open. My wife is in the medical field(CRNA) and has been offered several positions in Meridian, which would put us closer to our parents so the kids could spend more time with grandparents, but we choose to stay in Madison and her work in Jackson bc I hate the thought of her being called in to work at midnight in Meridian. I understand Jackson is not safe either but Meridian feels like a 3rd world country to me. And you have no idea how bad I want to get back to the country but with schools in Madison we just can't make that move yet.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
You understand there is a state outside Starkville?
Yea, how to handle Meridian is a tough call. It's good for the state to have some higher ed options in that area, and we obviously already have some sunk investments, but man does it feel like throwing good money after bad to invest in Meridian. Hopefully they can pretty much implement this program with existing facilities and it won't require any big physical investments.

Ideally you wouldn't have any programs that only exist in Meridian. Just a nonstarter for too many prospective students. But of course if you offer the program in Meridian and Starkville, you are going to have trouble keeping the Meridian program full. You're basically talking about people that are tied to the area already doing it, and there's not a huge population to support college programs by themselves.

Duke Humphrey

Oct 3, 2013
Yea, how to handle Meridian is a tough call. It's good for the state to have some higher ed options in that area, and we obviously already have some sunk investments, but man does it feel like throwing good money after bad to invest in Meridian. Hopefully they can pretty much implement this program with existing facilities and it won't require any big physical investments.

Ideally you wouldn't have any programs that only exist in Meridian. Just a nonstarter for too many prospective students. But of course if you offer the program in Meridian and Starkville, you are going to have trouble keeping the Meridian program full. You're basically talking about people that are tied to the area already doing it, and there's not a huge population to support college programs by themselves.
As the article stated, the program is being funded by The Riley Foundation which exists to promote and enhance Meridian and Lauderdale County. Also being supported by the local hospitals, which Starkville (unfortunately) cannot do.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Which is also why 1 in 4 positions are open. My wife is in the medical field(CRNA) and has been offered several positions in Meridian, which would put us closer to our parents so the kids could spend more time with grandparents, but we choose to stay in Madison and her work in Jackson bc I hate the thought of her being called in to work at midnight in Meridian. I understand Jackson is not safe either but Meridian feels like a 3rd world country to me. And you have no idea how bad I want to get back to the country but with schools in Madison we just can't make that move yet.
Man, that level of safety concern seems a little over the top, unless you're out slinging dope. Meridian ain't that bad. Of course, compared to Madison, I'm sure it seems that way. And you're right, I wouldn't leave Madison schools.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
As the article stated, the program is being funded by The Riley Foundation which exists to promote and enhance Meridian and Lauderdale County. Also being supported by the local hospitals, which Starkville (unfortunately) cannot do.
Did not pay attention to that. If $6M covers any fixed investment needed, then that makes it easy.

TNT.sixpack

Nov 4, 2014
It's actually a nursing program for people with a bachelors degree looking to move into the nursing field so it's completely different from anything else being offered in the state.

I've been looking at going to nursing school and this program would be perfect for me because I have a bachelors but not in anything related to nursing. This would get me in and out in 12 months which is the shortest track to RN I've seen. I'd have to take some pre-reqs I'm sure but I can do that online.

Only downside (and it's a big one) is Meridian. I'm not moving my family there for sure. Looking forward to finding out more about it for sure.
I would think VERY closely about that. I've got 4 nurses in my family of 5. Various ages from 25 yrs old to 55 years old and they're all unhappy. One just completely changed career fields - happier and making more money. The efforts of the legislature this year to attract and keep nurses is futile. Retaining nurses isn't about creating more more faculty and enrollment and helping with tuition. Retention of nurses is about competitive pay. I see what the nurses in my family do and i see what they get paid. It's ridiculous. RN salaries have not kept up with other career fields. To work as an RN for 35 years and top out at about $36/hour is ridiculous. Talk to an ER nurse sometime and ask specifically what they deal with (most ER admissions aren't emergency - they're frequent flyers). And the days of having orderlies clean up after a patient *hits themselves don't exist much anymore because an orderly can make more at the Wendy's drive through. Now, it all falls on the nurse to do that along with regular nursing duties that require a significant skill set. It was once a pretty good job but nurses simply don't have the support they used to have because those wages haven't kept up.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I would think VERY closely about that. I've got 4 nurses in my family of 5. Various ages from 25 yrs old to 55 years old and they're all unhappy. One just completely changed career fields - happier and making more money. The efforts of the legislature this year to attract and keep nurses is futile. Retaining nurses isn't about creating more more faculty and enrollment and helping with tuition. Retention of nurses is about competitive pay. I see what the nurses in my family do and i see what they get paid. It's ridiculous. RN salaries have not kept up with other career fields. To work as an RN for 35 years and top out at about $36/hour is ridiculous. Talk to an ER nurse sometime and ask specifically what they deal with (most ER admissions aren't emergency - they're frequent flyers). And the days of having orderlies clean up after a patient *hits themselves don't exist much anymore because an orderly can make more at the Wendy's drive through. Now, it all falls on the nurse to do that along with regular nursing duties that require a significant skill set. It was once a pretty good job but nurses simply don't have the support they used to have because those wages haven't kept up.

That's a little low for a high end RN salary. But yea, Nursing is good for a high floor and being able to get a job anywhere. Not very lucrative. But if you're already a nurse, it appears to be a no brainer to go for the NP or CRNA option if you can do it though. Still not a super high ceiling for the NP route, but you can make good money early.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
This is a great point. My sense is that of the nursing programs in the state, there is a lot of emigration. By way of example, USM's program is probably supplying Mobile's and NOLA's workforce.

So, in essence, we are competing with other states for the workforce we develop for our own hospitals.

ETA: Especially daunting where nursing has been a profession in high demand for several decades.

Last edited:

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
This is a great point. My sense is that of the nursing programs in the state, there is a lot of emigration. By way of example, USM's program is probably supplying Mobile's and NOLA's workforce.

So, in essence, we are competing with other states for the workforce we develop for our own hospitals.

ETA: Especially daunting where nursing has been a profession in high demand for several decades.
We really should start offering forgiveable loans for state funded professional programs, or at least state funded healthcare programs. Basically charge everybody "out of state tuition", but give loans to people for the out of state portion and wipe like 10% principal and any associated interest on that principal every year they work in Mississippi.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
That's a little low for a high end RN salary. But yea, Nursing is good for a high floor and being able to get a job anywhere. Not very lucrative. But if you're already a nurse, it appears to be a no brainer to go for the NP or CRNA option if you can do it though. Still not a super high ceiling for the NP route, but you can make good money early.
Seems to me it's fairly easy to become a nurse, so that's likely why the pay is lower. But they can still make good money and work all the hours they want. I'm not seeing the problem.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022

There's no way those nurses are leaving for Mobile and NOLA if there were jobs around their home areas. I question whether or not we truly have a shortage.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Seems to me it's fairly easy to become a nurse, so that's likely why the pay is lower. But they can still make good money and work all the hours they want. I'm not seeing the problem.
It's not a problem. It's just a tradeoff to consider if you want to go into nursing. Similar type of tradeoff if you want to be a teacher. It only becomes a problem if you aren't getting enough qualified workers.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Interesting take.

Although some disagree: "Mississippi nursing schools turn away students amid shortage"

https://apnews.com/article/health-m...es-education-64b6a1ef0037f4f92f20a167c94059cc
Oh I know the numbers on paper. I just question it based on my own experience and human behavior, which is far from factual.

And it's not THAT far-fetched to see nurses from say, BSL go work in NOLA. A ton of people do that. Or Jackson County to Mobile. To me that's not some type of crazy out-bound migration problem. I question the idea that say, a nurse from Hattiesburg, goes to USM, bypasses a job in Hattiesburg to go to Mobile or NOLA. Unless it's some type of crazy upward promotions they are chasing, and most nurses aren't after that. Nurses are generally homebodies, like many trades, and they generally want to stay close to that home.

I know traveling nurses can make a lot of money, but that's a different deal.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006

USM & Carey.

Don’t forget that the Baptists have a nursing program— and they’re in Hattiesburg and Biloxi.

@OG Goat Holder — I suspect you’re mostly correct about coastal nurses working in Alabama & Louisiana. That said, outmigration of educated Mississippians has been a constant topic on this board as we all know.

Reactions: Mr. Cook
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login