MSU student found dead on campus

TaleofTwoDogs

Jun 1, 2004
Condolences to the family.

Did not know this but here is the basic requirement for the coroner in Oktibbeha County:
"The office of coroner is filled through an at-large election. A county coroner serves a four-year term, with the office-holder eligible to immediately succeed themselves. Each candidate for the office of coroner must, as a minimum, possess a high school diploma or its equivalent, be 21 years of age or older, and be a qualified elector of the county in which elected"

The requirements seem a little light for the position. If an autopsy is required the body is transferred to Pearl to the Medical Examiner's office.

Reactions: jethreauxdawg

BKCBully

Jul 19, 2013
Got to be one of the best professions for a guy named Mike Hunt . Super inappropriate to make a name joke when you're calling the coroner I would imagine

Reactions: BigDawg0074

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
Got to be one of the best professions for a guy named Mike Hunt . Super inappropriate to make a name joke when you're calling the coroner I would imagine
Hello, I’m looking for Mike Hunt. She hasn’t been home for a few days now, and her personality would fit in well there.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
I know Mike Hunt. He is a slick one for sure. But condolences to the family and let's all hope this was nothing nefarious

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
Condolences to the family.

Did not know this but here is the basic requirement for the coroner in Oktibbeha County:
"The office of coroner is filled through an at-large election. A county coroner serves a four-year term, with the office-holder eligible to immediately succeed themselves. Each candidate for the office of coroner must, as a minimum, possess a high school diploma or its equivalent, be 21 years of age or older, and be a qualified elector of the county in which elected"

The requirements seem a little light for the position. If an autopsy is required the body is transferred to Pearl to the Medical Examiner's office.

Hunt is the EMS director at OCH so I feel like he’s qualified.

BulldogBlitz

Dec 11, 2008

I’m not even going to pretend to understand the hell his parents are going to endure from here on out.

This is very simple to understand. I tell many people who have asked, or offered the same comment. If you have a child, imagine having the deputy show up at your door at 630 in the morning to give you the news.

It is never ending.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008

This is very simple to understand. I tell many people who have asked, or offered the same comment. If you have a child, imagine having the deputy show up at your door at 630 in the morning to give you the news.

It is never ending.

And imagine also being that deputy or any other person who has to deliver that kind of news fairly often. Or the EMS folks and medical personnel who deal with these things.

A little more simple respect to each other is often warranted.

Sad rant over...

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
I think sometimes we all forget how F’n hard it was to be young sometimes. I’m not even going to pretend to understand the hell his parents are going to endure from here on out.
With social media now, it’s 17n terrifying as a parent. At least when I was growing up, if you were bullied at school or something at school was bothering you, you got an escape from it at home. Now, these kids are connected all the time. And you can see if you’re the butt of a joke at 10 PM at night.

As a parent of a young girl who’s getting close to teenage years, I’ve tried to allow her to ease into social media, mainly watching videos on my login for you tube and her mom’s login for Tik tok. She enjoys playing games online with her friends and they all like watching the Tik tok and you tube videos together. But I monitor the hell of out of and set pretty strict time limits for her. I don’t look forward to the day when I have to allow her to go full force on social media.

17itdawg

Sep 30, 2022
With social media now, it’s 17n terrifying as a parent. At least when I was growing up, if you were bullied at school or something at school was bothering you, you got an escape from it at home. Now, these kids are connected all the time. And you can see if you’re the butt of a joke at 10 PM at night.

As a parent of a young girl who’s getting close to teenage years, I’ve tried to allow her to ease into social media, mainly watching videos on my login for you tube and her mom’s login for Tik tok. She enjoys playing games online with her friends and they all like watching the Tik tok and you tube videos together. But I monitor the hell of out of and set pretty strict time limits for her. I don’t look forward to the day when I have to allow her to go full force on social media.
I've got two boys. Both are still way too young for social media, but I dread this too. My wife and I have had conversations about when and how to allow them to ease into it. I work in higher ed, and I see how it's affecting this generation daily. I can't imagine how negatively it's going to impact these upcoming generations of young people

Reactions: She Mate Me

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

As bad as social media is for young people in general, it's apparently especially hellish for girls and the longer you can keep a girl off of it, or at the very least keep it out of her bedroom, the better. I keep thinking that with all the data out there about how bad it is for kids that parents will get more serious about protecting their kids from it, but it doesn't seem to be happening yet except in small numbers. I hope in the near future people will look at parents that give their 13 year old a smart phone and internet access as crazy as they would if they were providing them a pack of cigarettes and matches every day.

DerHntr

Sep 18, 2007
As bad as social media is for young people in general, it's apparently especially hellish for girls and the longer you can keep a girl off of it, or at the very least keep it out of her bedroom, the better. I keep thinking that with all the data out there about how bad it is for kids that parents will get more serious about protecting their kids from it, but it doesn't seem to be happening yet except in small numbers. I hope in the near future people will look at parents that give their 13 year old a smart phone and internet access as crazy as they would if they were providing them a pack of cigarettes and matches every day.
I’d pay a lot of money for your last sentence to come true.

Fang1

Oct 1, 2022

we waited till ours (twins) were about a month away from turning 14 because of the influence it has. Wife was aware but made the case that it would be good for the travel/coordination associated with sports/after school and would let them get in touch quickly if they needed us. EVERYTHING changed when they got the phones. I knew it would be a change but I didn't appreciate how big the change was gonna be. It's a direct funnel into their brains and most of the stuff isn't good. Thankful mom watched it like a hawk, had all the same stuff (FB/IG/SC, etc) and followed them and their interactions - lotta work. We instilled "If you can't say something good......" and they're pretty good about that kind of thing. Mom made 'encouragers' out of them and they know now from experience that 'stay out of it' is good policy. I really don't deserve the kids I got.

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
Unfortunate but not unusual. I lived in Suttle for 3 years and I recall at least 3 suicides there during that time.
Damn. I only knew of one suicide my whole time at state. And he did it after he had been kicked out of school back home.

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
I have 2 teenage girls and 2 preteen girls. Trying to keep them off social media works about as well as my parents trying to keep me away from Playboys did. The rules really haven’t changed. Make sure your kids know they are loved and that they can talk to you about anything. Then you pray like hell they don’t make a horrible decision when you aren’t around.

josebrown

Aug 4, 2008
Social media is as bad for boys as it is girls when the online child predators are concerned. They are anywhere and everywhere. As soon as a kid thinks they’re safe, they could be groomed. We have one on our campus in a frat that was recently exposed talking hyper sexual and sending cp, and trying to meet up with 12-13 yr old girls. It’s very heartbreaking to see the things they say and send to our kids. Always monitor your kids social media until the creeps are all rounded up and the internet gets cleansed, which is coming.

But the boys are targets as much as the girls are online, and these predators live all around us. Some with families, some with grandchildren, some in high positions. Not all are scum of the earth until they get exposed and dealt with. Thankfully, we have many groups voluntarily posing and catching them, then turning it all over to law enforcement.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Unfortunate but not unusual. I lived in Suttle for 3 years and I recall at least 3 suicides there during that time.
There was one the semester I lived there. He took a dive off the 6th floor right outside our suite.

It was a 9 story dorm, always wondered why he didn't go to the top.........

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
Make sure your kids know they are loved and that they can talk to you about anything. Then you pray like hell they don’t make a horrible decision when you aren’t around.
This is the way, it has been throughout history. Solomon had a Proverb about it - train them up the right way, let them go, and pray they put what you taught them into practice.

It's nearly the only thing you can do, because you can't really control them, not forever anyhow. It will keep coming up - their first sleepover at a friend's house, the first time (hell, every time) they drive a car, when they go on senior trip, when they leave for college, when they get married, etc. etc. Scary stuff, parenting. I feel for the parents of this child. I can't imagine the pain of what they're going through, and I think he has a brother on campus as well.

Reactions: HRMSU

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
Damn. I only knew of one suicide my whole time at state. And he did it after he had been kicked out of school back home.
Well Suttle was kind of a magnet for such a thing being a tall building(9 floors), had outside elevators, and publicly accessible open balconies that ran the full length of the building on every floor.

Ghostman

Apr 12, 2021
If I had a preteen or young teen now, once they got a phone, there would be limits and the phone would get put on the kitchen counter at a certain time every night.

HWY51dog

Jul 24, 2013
I've got two boys. Both are still way too young for social media, but I dread this too. My wife and I have had conversations about when and how to allow them to ease into it. I work in higher ed, and I see how it's affecting this generation daily. I can't imagine how negatively it's going to impact these upcoming generations of young people
Best thing my wife and I did was not allow my son to have social media. He was the last one in his class to get a phone. He is 15 now and doesn’t even care about it thankfully.

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022
The people who created social media don’t let their kids do social media.

So they think.

My parents didn't allow me to drink alcohol under age....so they thought. But you know what....when I showed up at State as a freshman I didn't go Ape S like I'd never eaten the forbidden fruit and I dang sure knew not to drink myself into alcohol poison territory.

The Fatboy

Oct 18, 2005
I remember when I was in school at State there was an Asian kid that set himself on fire near the water tower if I remember correctly.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Agree with this, and largely agree with the last sentence, but seeing as how I have 2 girls that both had/have smart phones before 13, I think a blanket view that it's as crazy as a 13yo smoking is a bit much.

It certainly can be as bad for some, but it's hardly a universal truth.
Whether a smart phone before 13(or after) is appropriate, completely depends on the kid, their maturity, their interests, their social circles, etc.

Teaching kids how to use technology responsibly, what the typical negatives can be, and then being active with them as they use and learn is what I view as most critical.

There is no one best way to parent in all scenarios. So what works for me may not work for another parent or kid. Recognizing that is important because it becomes easy to judge on both sides of most any parental situation.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login