Mullen interest in State

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
So I've seen some rumors here on Mullen would return to msu should leach retire or be fired. No evidence to that happening to date even if Mullen was hanging around GTR this summer.

anyway, this morning on full ride he, Rick, and Chris were discussing the auburn job and if kiffin would leave ole miss. They ask dan if it were worth leaving ole miss for auburn. He starts talking about the resource difference and saying yeah auburn has more resources than ole miss to be successful and talking about what those are but then also says what lane has to be concerned about is resources in state. Basically saying Alabama has more resources than auburn but also said when in state comparing to Mississippi state that ole miss has more resources and also says that involves more like the supporting town where you get your hair cut where you get your groceries etc.

that doesn't sound like someone that would be interested in coming back to Starkville at all to live.

the other thoughts I had on that. Well at least you can shop at the grocery store in Starkville and not have to go to Birmingham when you lose like you had to go to Orlando when at Florida.
Also when the hell did Oxford get a target?

Reactions: cytubb

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
So I've seen some rumors here on Mullen would return to msu should leach retire or be fired. No evidence to that happening to date even if Mullen was hanging around GTR this summer.

anyway, this morning on full ride he, Rick, and Chris were discussing the auburn job and if kiffin would leave ole miss. They ask dan if it were worth leaving ole miss for auburn. He starts talking about the resource difference and saying yeah auburn has more resources than ole miss to be successful and talking about what those are but then also says what lane has to be concerned about is resources in state. Basically saying Alabama has more resources than auburn but also said when in state comparing to Mississippi state that ole miss has more resources and also says that involves more like the supporting town where you get your hair cut where you get your groceries etc.

that doesn't sound like someone that would be interested in coming back to Starkville at all to live.

the other thoughts I had on that. Well at least you can shop at the grocery store in Starkville and not have to go to Birmingham when you lose like you had to go to Orlando when at Florida.
No, it sure doesn’t sound like somebody that would move back. But, I think it’s be a terrible look for us to even consider taking him back. He was an ungrateful bastard for most of his time here…. And it caught up with him.

Outside of the square, I’ve never seen anything from Oxford that would set it apart from most small, Southern towns. Hell, they’re just now getting a Waffle House!**

XBLDawg

Mar 20, 2014
No, it sure doesn’t sound like somebody that would move back. But, I think it’s be a terrible look for us to even consider taking him back. He was an ungrateful bastard for most of his time here…. And it caught up with him.

Outside of the square, I’ve never seen anything from Oxford that would set it apart from most small, Southern towns. Hell, they’re just now getting a Waffle House!**
Exactly. I don’t understand it. Yes Don was a good coach. But what scUM fans are melting about RIGHT NOW is what we went through every season for about 4 years straight. When you have a coach that checks out before the season is over, especially BEFORE the big rivalry game, then he’s lost most of the fan base.

Yes Don was arguably the most successful coach we’ve had but he also left us out to dry. That should be unforgivable but apparently we have a segment of the fan base that is willing to forgive and forget. Nope. Shouldn’t happen.

karlchilders.sixpack

Jun 5, 2008
Yeah, I had a Reb Buddy, tell me that late yesterday. ( Personally I'd be ok with him as coach. )

But, I take it as noise created by the Rebs, as payback for all the Kiffin stuff some of Ya'll have been spewing out there.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008

I hope we have no interest in having Dan back personally. He's a pretty solid football coach, but we know what we get with him and it's not worth it for me.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
haha, if Mike does retire/get fired, no possibility Keenum would let Mullen come back. I'm sure Dan's agent would get laughed off the call. We have to get someone who is going to be "all in" on crootin', the portal and NIL.

I'd go all in on Freeze, but I realize our ban base wouldn't accept that and we'd have to put a hit out on Rosebowl first.

Last edited:

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I agree that he doesn't want to come back but he's also not wrong. Starkville has come a long way, but we do still lack that die-hard support many other towns have, even locally. Way too many of our people are still out for themselves at the expense of MSU, in many facets. Thank the Lord for the Charlie Winfields.

We're also in a small state and not in a big city, and we don't have a real metro area (with significant loyalty) within an hour like many others do (Alabama/Birmingham, Auburn/Montgomery, Clemson/Greenville, Georgia/Atlanta, Ole Miss/Memphis - even if it is out of state). Not to mention the sheer number of sidewalk Bammers in Tupelo, Columbus and Meridian. Then a lot of the Coast and SW Mississippi are loyal to LSU. The best we can do is Jackson and that tilts towards Ole Miss.

Any coach that comes here has to be alright with these things. We have to use the overall numbers approach.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022

Damn...this some ridiculous ****!
Damn isn't interested in coaching right now unless it's a crazy big job.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

Well first, Dan wouldn't be asked back. He's a good coach but lost his drive. Nothing wrong with that. Doubt I'd be particularly driven with $40M or whatever in the bank.

Second, there's not much difference between support for MSU and Ole Miss in the state. There is still unfortunately a difference between support for the schools by the towns. As long as I've been alive, people in Oxford have generally acted like they understand Oxford would be Calhoun City without the university and they have therefore been appreciative and supportive of the university. Doesn't mean they don't occasionally try to exploit the students, but they still appreciated that they needed the university.

Starkville largely viewed the university as a necessary evil until the late 90's, early 2000's. They wanted the revenue from the school and the students but they largely wanted the students to be somewhere else. How in the hell do you have a majority of your board of alderman be anti-university and anti-student in a town where the student population is about the size of the non-student population? Basically the only reason we are behind on anything is that Starkville government spent so long holding the university back and somehow we never had university leadership smart enough to realize that they needed to register students to vote and push for pro-university and pro growth leadership in the local elections.

Aug 22, 2012
haha, if Mike does retire/get fired, no possibility Keenum would let Mullen come back. I'm sure Dan's agent would get laughed off the call. We have to get someone who is going to be "all in" on crootin', the portal and NIL.

I'd go all in on Freeze, but I realize our ban base wouldn't accept that and we'd have to put a hit out on Rosebowl first.
Leach isn't getting fired no matter what the result of the Egg Bowl. Keenum isn't coming off his perch to fire a football coach that went 7-5.

If Leach does retire, Dan isn't getting rehired even if he wanted to come back.

Rosebowl has an unhealthy obsession with Ole Miss and Hugh Freeze. He spent about 25 minutes talking about Freeze last week at QB club. It was weird

If we hired Freeze I am completely out on Mississippi State football.

60sdog

Oct 9, 2010
Exactly. I don’t understand it. Yes Don was a good coach. But what scUM fans are melting about RIGHT NOW is what we went through every season for about 4 years straight. When you have a coach that checks out before the season is over, especially BEFORE the big rivalry game, then he’s lost most of the fan base.

Yes Don was arguably the most successful coach we’ve had but he also left us out to dry. That should be unforgivable but apparently we have a segment of the fan base that is willing to forgive and forget. Nope. Shouldn’t happen.
Dan was nowhere near the best coach we’ve had. See Allyn McKeen.

Reactions: msstatelp1

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
Leach isn't getting fired no matter what the result of the Egg Bowl. Keenum isn't coming off his perch to fire a football coach that went 7-5.

If Leach does retire, Dan isn't getting rehired even if he wanted to come back.

Rosebowl has an unhealthy obsession with Ole Miss and Hugh Freeze. He spent about 25 minutes talking about Freeze last week at QB club. It was weird

If we hired Freeze I am completely out on Mississippi State football.
If we ever hire freeze for ANYTHING I will burn my damn diploma.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
The thought of even thinking about bringing Dan back is ridiculous lacking both brains AND balls.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Starkville largely viewed the university as a necessary evil until the late 90's, early 2000's. They wanted the revenue from the school and the students but they largely wanted the students to be somewhere else. How in the hell do you have a majority of your board of alderman be anti-university and anti-student in a town where the student population is about the size of the non-student population? Basically the only reason we are behind on anything is that Starkville government spent so long holding the university back and somehow we never had university leadership smart enough to realize that they needed to register students to vote and push for pro-university and pro growth leadership in the local elections.

Starting in the summer of 94 I pretty much lived and stayed in Starkville when I went to school I was working, so I couldn't go home every weekend, and because I went to school during the summer I was there pretty much all the time. Then I graduated and ended up marrying and staying in town, and I was really astounded by the strain in the relationship between the students and the city during that time. I moved out in 2007 and it had gotten better but I'm glad to hear that it's gotten much better since then. I never could understand why there was such a disconnect.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I think some are missing point of the post. It was mostly to stop the Dan coming back to Starkville talk I've seen on this board and others. I'm thankful for he did here snd I'm a big fan of his style of offense and coaching; however, he has come and gone. He left for greener pastures and that didn't work out for him. I don't think we would have interest in him and I think it's pretty clear from the things he said that he wouldn't be interested in coming back to Starkville.
For measure, I don't think leach is going anywhere unless he retires or he just pisses keenum off by getting embarrassed in the egg bowl this year and next. I do not expect leach to be here after the 2025 season though. I would prefer that we try to find a disciple of his that runs the mobile running qb version of his offense when that time does come. I would prefer some one in the line of the Riley style.

Posty Ghosty

Nov 22, 2022
Don's not exactly wrong in his analysis of Oxford vs. Starkville, but it is to note that it has changed significantly the last 10 years. I don't live within 1500 miles of Mississippi and every time I come back and see Starkville, it looks very different. Granted, I've been back to Starkville probably 5x in 10+ years.

All that being said, I don't think we would agree to come back, and I don't think that should even be an idea State would entertain. Its the equivalent of dating the girl that previously cheated on you.

Why is anyone considering this? Is it because a narcissistic, offensive-minded football coach is currently flirting with jobs during rivalry week in Mississippi? It must be that Dan Mullen nostalgia hitting the fan base.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
The biggest difference in terms of support for Starkville v Oxford .... that I hear.... is people are always "glass completely full" regarding all things Oxford. They'll tell you a dog turd layed on the square lawn is the finest in dog turd all the USA.

State fans/GTR people rarely have anything positive to say about Starkville. GTR people mostly because they're miserable Alabama fans but I digress. State fans... Hell I've had to defend Starkville on these message boards to other State fans.

with all that said, I took Mullen's words to be in reference to general support, all the above. Positive vibes, money, spirit .... etc. Alabama being so close just really really drains resources from the GTR from us. OM has an advantage being up in N MS with Memphis and no other sec school as close.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

PBRME

Feb 12, 2004
The Simpsons Burn Bridge GIF

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
The biggest difference in terms of support for Starkville v Oxford .... that I hear.... is people are always "glass completely full" regarding all things Oxford. They'll tell you a dog turd layed on the square lawn is the finest in dog turd all the USA.

State fans/GTR people rarely have anything positive to say about Starkville. GTR people mostly because they're miserable Alabama fans but I digress. State fans... Hell I've had to defend Starkville on these message boards to other State fans.

with all that said, I took Mullen's words to be in reference to general support, all the above. Positive vibes, money, spirit .... etc. Alabama being so close just really really drains resources from the GTR from us. OM has an advantage being up in N MS with Memphis and no other sec school as close.
This is the truth. People from Ole Miss take a lot of pride in Oxford and the school whether it's merited or not. The Grove is nice. It's got trees and it's nice to have a shaded area to tailgate. It sucks to not have hot food, but if you like a crowd and to have a lot of people close, I guess that's a reasonable tradeoff. But that's about it. And they have convinced themselves that it's an institution.

Same thing with the square. It's nice to have a centralized bar and restaurant and retail scene. And it's nice for it to be around a square because it makes it more walkable. I wish Starkville's were more centralized instead of in pockets here and there. That said, when I hung out in Oxford, we mostly didn't bar hop because of covers. So really the only real difference is you didn't have to make any decisions on what bar you're going to before parking the car. When we were older and did bar hop, it was between the smaller bars that are more or less similar to what you can do in the cotton district. But again, it's somehow an institution that they worship and praise.

And they probably have just as many miserable fans that like to complain about anything and everything, no matter how ridiculous, but if they even point out the reality taht the Grove and the square aren't that big of a deal, they are at risk of getting essentially excommunicated.

Reactions: Maroon13
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login