Mullen Recruiting

TurfDawg08

Sep 16, 2023
As I watch MNF and see two of the best DL in the game, I’m curious about Mullen’s recruiting. He apparently was great at evaluating. I wonder how many of his 2-3 stars would have been bumped to a 4 -5 star by junior/senior year. My first post after many years of reading.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
His bad recruiting is definitely over used fallacy. When you look at all the guys he put in the league it's crazy. People just get pissy because he could evaluate and develop and didn't follow the stars. They also get pissy because ole miss had receivers in the league snd we don't. Even though Dan put guys in the league at every other position. Corner, safety, linebacker, DL, RB, OL QB. Can't see the Forest for the trees.

TurfDawg08

Sep 16, 2023
His bad recruiting is definitely over used fallacy. When you look at all the guys he put in the league it's crazy. People just get pissy because he could evaluate and develop and didn't follow the stars. They also get pissy because ole miss had receivers in the league snd we don't. Even though Dan put guys in the league at every other position. Corner, safety, linebacker, DL, RB, OL QB. Can't see the Forest for the trees.
I’ll say I’m bitter about A.J brown to this day, but I ain’t got a clue about what happened. He is pretty much the only recruit that I wonder why we didn’t go all in. Full transparency I don’t follow recruiting or our program extremely close, but I’m a alumni fan.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
And he got crap at not recruiting like Kirby or Saban. Not many are though unless you are loaded like Jimbo was. If people expect us to recruit better than Texas am, Alabama, and Georgia they are crazy

Felonious Junk

Oct 23, 2008
The problem is he didn’t recruit worth a sht at Florida of all places so it substantiates all of the stories here.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Everyone gets tied up with where they end up in recruiting rankings. Unless you are top 8 it is misleading. You can have a highly ranked class with only two or three 4 stars. It's all about numbers. Load up on a bunch of 3 stars and your class is top 25. The portal really changes things now. You can really make up for a poor class.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
It's said Spurrier didn't recruit hard because he thought the could develop players and was so good he could beat other teams with more talent, so he didn't live or die over recruiting.

Many folks think Spurrier is one of the best x's and o's CFB coaches of all time. He has one natty, Saban, on the other hand, isn't thought of being a great x's and o's coach but has more nattys than I can count. Saban lives for recruiting.

Mullen has a little too much Spurrier in him.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
He definitely could spot talent. I remember even our own recruiting experts giving him hell when Benardrick McKinney committed.

With Jones, I think he’s sat out a year or something when he transferred from Nettleton to Houston so he wasn’t on anyone’s radar. Then showed up at camp the summer before his senior year and nobody knew who he was. I always heard they practically offered him on the spot and tried to keep it quiet so no one else would discover him

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
His Florida classes were 14, 9, 9 & 12. His year end rankings were 6, 7, 13 & unranked. Better than the coaches before & after him for sure.
Once again our fans compare him to Kirby and Saban and that's really unfair to do. He's not them and we won't be them.
I would argue that's the same issue Auburn fans had with Gus. He wasn't saban and he wasn't Kirby.

Felonious Junk

Oct 23, 2008
His Florida classes were 14, 9, 9 & 12. His year end rankings were 6, 7, 13 & unranked. Better than the coaches before & after him for sure.
The problem is when you’re ranked 14th, 9th or 12th in recruiting you’re 7th or 8th in your own conference. That’s not good enough at Florida.

Reactions: Dawgzilla2

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
Florida stepped on their own d*ck when they fired Mullen. It was a mistake. There were personality issues there probly with Spurrier mostly. I doubt he and Dan clicked. But as has become evident with Napiers great success, firing Dan was a 17 up. Dan's only fault was being too loyal to the wrong QB

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I’ll say I’m bitter about A.J brown to this day, but I ain’t got a clue about what happened. He is pretty much the only recruit that I wonder why we didn’t go all in. Full transparency I don’t follow recruiting or our program extremely close, but I’m an alumni fan.
You a we/they?***

patdog

May 28, 2007
The problem is when you’re ranked 14th, 9th or 12th in recruiting you’re 7th or 8th in your own conference. That’s not good enough at Florida.
He was 4th, 5th, 6th, and 5th in the SEC recruiting rankings. That's good enough to at least contend for conference championships with good development and coaching, which he was better at than recruiting to begin with. He wasn't an elite recruiter, but he was a lot better than he generally gets credit for.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login