Mullen; yes or no

• Yes

Votes: 69 53.9%
  • No

Votes: 59 46.1%

• Total voters

Lettuce

Oct 16, 2012
If he will seriously commit to at least 4-6 years without even speaking to another school, I say yes. He will have to understand that his initial contract will be structured in favor of our program…..but if we get skinny Mullen, it’s not a better option out there….within reason.

Bullldawg78

Aug 30, 2018
1001 NO, he was successful here when he had fire, doesn't have it anymore and was not having it for State towards the end.

Reactions: BulldogBlitz

patdog

May 28, 2007
If he will seriously commit to at least 4-6 years without even speaking to another school, I say yes. He will have to understand that his initial contract will be structured in favor of our program…..but if we get skinny Mullen, it’s not a better option out there….within reason.
He’s not coming. But if he does, I think he’ll be more committed to Mississippi State than he was the first time.

dog99walker

Jul 16, 2021
I’m not worried about the Ole Miss game, so much, Coach Knox has great experience preparing the team to play Ole Miss, while your boy Mullen was on the phone with Jimmy Sexton, checking on a more high-profile job. And y’all want him back? 🤔

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
He’s not coming. But if he does
Dang pat, u and I agree all the time but damned if you don't sound just like my wife here and she and I seldom agree. But, that's probably why we stay together so...

• Haha
Reactions: patdog

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
If there's anything I know less about than recruiting it's coaching searches. I don't have a clue who 98% of these other "candidates" are and as far as I'm concerned we could flip a coin to pick one but I do know Mullen and I think he would do as good of a job at State as anyone could.

BoDawg.sixpack

Feb 5, 2010
Mullen makes up for his disdain for recruiting with his ability to develop talent. And there's no shortage of athletes in MS who can be quickly trained to run his offense.

Reactions: patdog

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
Mullen makes up for his disdain for recruiting with his ability to develop talent. And there's no shortage of athletes in MS who can be quickly trained to run his offense.
Which works against middling teams, but not good ones. They have talent that is developed too.

Mullen has a high floor and a low ceiling. No thanks.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
There is a zero point zero percent chance he will be as motivated as he was the first time around, so that is a HARD NO.
That would be my hold up. What's his motivating factor? Proving he can win a title at msu and have a statue built? I don't think he can build again and get to a blue blood

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
If you took the name off the resume of all the people who have been seriously mentioned for our job, you would pick Mullen's every single time.
A resume tells you a prospective employees floor much more than their ceiling. Mullen has a high floor, we all know that. The problem is his ceiling is very low, lower than all other prospective coaches mentioned. He has known flaws that no one has a credible way to remediate that absolutely prevent him from being as successful as we want for this program.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
1000x yes. I have a feeling as this coaching search goes on, more people will realize how good Mullen actually looks compared to the current batch of candidates.
That’s exactly the reason why I voted no.

I want a coach better in the beginning than Mullen.

And what was Mullen in ‘08? OC/QB coach for Florida?

I’d like a guy with more overall experience and success as head coach.

If there’s one thing Arnett showed us is that we need someone who has more of a command of the overall picture.

Mullen did well at State (okay, very well, in season #1 ranking for several weeks) but man— he went through DCs.

blacklistedbully

Apr 9, 2010
If you took the name off the resume of all the people who have been seriously mentioned for our job, you would pick Mullen's every single time.
Not when you factor in his known "intangibles". That's the problem with looking only at resumes. A resume isn't meant to get you a job...it is simply meant to get you to an interview.

Beyond DM's yearly season-end check-outs while looking for greener pastures, let's not forget how often we had to endure crap like, "Perkins up the gut for no/little gain 3 times in-a-row, or on 3rd & long", etc. Let's not forget how often he would let time run out in the 1st half while we possessed the ball and had all our timeouts. Let's not forget how often he would leave a much better player on the bench in favor of an upperclassman, etc. Let's not forget how many times he would take his foot off the gas way too soon.

For me, I'd rather take my chances on someone else and hope he is as good or better than DM and without the baggage...the crap you have to swallow with Dan.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Not when you factor it his known "intangibles". That's the problem with looking only at resumes. A resume isn't meant to get you a job...it is simply meant to get you to an interview.
This.

State glossed over Arnett’s resume given the circumstances last year.

If it were a normal job application process last year, he wouldn’t have made the cut to be interviewed.

And just because someone has a stellar resume (like many people say about Mullen) doesn’t mean that he’ll be the automatic choice— it’s all about how you’d fit in when it comes to the interview stage.

Johnnie Come Lately

Nov 4, 2022
If he is interested in coming back, I don't see how he is not at the top of the short list. It is hard for me to imagine very many coaches that we could conceivably hire with a resume as good as his. Gus Malzahn and Rich Rodriguez are the only two possible and plausible hires I have seen mentioned that have comparable on the field results over the course of of their career. If he wants to come back and we decide to hire a P5 coordinator instead, that would be really really stupid.

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
Michael Scott No GIF

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login