Mullens to USMNT…

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Happy Will Ferrell GIF

patdog

May 28, 2007
5% chance that happens but man that would be awesome.
I’d say closer to 50% chance. Coaching a team hosting a World Cup is a rare opportunity. And it’s not like it’s a full time job. We’ll see. I have little confidence in US Soccer to make an aggressive hire like that. But they did hire Emma Hayes for the women’s team, so hopefully I’m wrong.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Gotta hand it to the US Men’s Soccer diehards. For years and years….they’ve been in lockstep with one another.

They have never wavered on which coach will finally pull them out of mediocrity and bring them to the promised land…..the next one.
I don’t think anyone had a warm fuzzy feeling when Berhalter was hired. Just seemed like a lame hire.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Gotta hand it to the US Men’s Soccer diehards. For years and years….they’ve been in lockstep with one another.

They have never wavered on which coach will finally pull them out of mediocrity and bring them to the promised land…..the next one.

I’ve said it before many times:

USMNT = Mississippi State Football

The only difference between the two is that CONCACAF is FIFA’s Sun Belt Conference.

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
Berhalter’s results haven’t really been any better than his predecessors going back to Bruce Arena, which is bad because the talent level he has to work with is better than what those coaches had. The only thing that was going for him was that Mexico is historically bad right now so he has been able to beat them every time. If not for that, he would have been fired long ago. Berhalter was a meh hire in 2018 and it was shocking that they rehired him. Very stupid decision. Results since he was rehired have been poor. We lost at Trinidad and Tobago (again) and needed a stoppage time own goal from Jamaica to avoid losing to them at home. Klopp would be an amazing get, but I bet it will be someone with ties to the USSF and who will be an underwhelming hire.

Reactions: patdog

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
He shouldn't have been brought back. Players liked him and that may have been a problem. They put in some weak performances lately. Just need a coach who doesn't have to install a system but has to get us ready to get out of the group in the WC and be prepared for good South American and European teams. And don't lose to Panama twice at home.

patdog

May 28, 2007

I don't know of anyone who was excited about the Berhalter hire, either the first or second time. As far as expectations for the next coach, whoever it is will have a big job ahead of him. There's more talent on the USMNT than ever before, but most of these players are selfish immature brats. They haven't accomplished even as much as some of the old less talented teams because they don't play as hard or with the heart the old teams did. And it's going to be hard for a coach who only gets them about 6 weeks per year to change that culture.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
I hope the next coach doesn't ignore MLS simply because it's MLS. You'll find a few good players and players who push those playing in Europe to be better and to always play hard. This team under Berhalter would have lost to prior US National teams that had several MLS players contributing. They played harder and had talent as well and understood their weaknesses. In Gregg's defense, we have the least talented goalie we've had in decades.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Yet….he had the highest win % (or result %) of any USMNT manager in history that coached in 8 or more matches.
That's because he coached more CONCACAF games than any manager in history (and against the weakest Mexican teams in history inside CONCACAF). His record outside of CONCACAF was pretty miserable.

Reactions: DesotoCountyDawg

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Yet….he had the highest win % (or result %) of any USMNT manager in history that coached in 8 or more matches.
He did against mediocre competition and with Mexico being not what it once was. But he beat who we were supposed to beat and that's important. He took over after our failure to make the WC last time. His biggest wins in competitions that mattered were against Mexico and Iran. His second stint after the WC was unimpressive. We'll see if he's a hot commodity and whether his "highest win%" leads to teams in Europe offering him a contract.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
Bradley and Klinsmann both had their moments where I thought they knew what they were doing, but it also fell apart for both too. I never once was sold on Berhalter.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
2 years too late. Need to make Klopp an offer he can’t refuse.
I don't think that would ever happen. I think his next gig will be Germany. Honestly, I'm not sure how well his style would translate to a national team. He can't control the fitness of his players there.

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
Surely they can get one of the player's parents to step up.
And hopefully they have a really big van.

• Haha

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
He did against mediocre competition and with Mexico being not what it once was. But he beat who we were supposed to beat and that's important. He took over after our failure to make the WC last time. His biggest wins in competitions that mattered were against Mexico and Iran. His second stint after the WC was unimpressive. We'll see if he's a hot commodity and whether his "highest win%" leads to teams in Europe offering him a contract.
So, he’s Dan Mullen. @Maroon Eagle nailed it. Really is like MSU football. I don’t think I could handle another one of those in my life….

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
So, he’s Dan Mullen. @Maroon Eagle nailed it. Really is like MSU football. I don’t think I could handle another one of those in my life….

Dan Mullen’s USMNT equivalent is Bruce Arena.

Dan made us competitive and gave us hope (#1 BCS ranking in ‘15 versus Bruce’s Best International Ranking #4 in ‘06 and Best World Cup showing since 1930 (‘02)).

Reactions: DesotoCountyDawg

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
The U.S. is really the only team outside of Europe and South America to have the resources and talent to challenge their dominance. Not saying it will happen but get the right coach to get us at least to where Belgium is. Yes I know we're ranked 11th but that's clearly too high under Berhalter.

patdog

May 28, 2007
The U.S. is really the only team outside of Europe and South America to have the resources and talent to challenge their dominance. Not saying it will happen but get the right coach to get us at least to where Belgium is. Yes I know we're ranked 11th but that's clearly too high under Berhalter.
FIFA rankings are intentionally skewed to overrate teams outside of Europe. ELO soccer rankings have us ranked #31, which isn't too far from the lowest in the last 20 years.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login