Murphy has to play more

DawgatAuburn

Apr 25, 2006
Even when DJ comes back, we have to work Murphy into the rotation at a significant level. Based off how much Jans seems to be yelling at him, he still has some learning to do on defense and on how to get his shoe put back on quicker, but he has the ability to make shots and maybe more importantly to create his own shot. We desperately need both of those things. Midway in the first half last night we went with Shak, Hubbard, Cam, Murphy and Tolu for a few minutes. I'd like to see that fivesome get more time together on the court.

Jones on the other hand needs a cut. He's played 31 and 33 minutes the last two games. It was out of necessity at Bama I guess, but it was by Jans' choice last night. To his credit, he hit the biggest shot of the game, the corner three when they had cut it to three and that pushed it back out to six. That was his only make from three on six attempts. His flagrant 1 almost bit us in the ***.

If/when Fort returns, we need to make sure he's getting time as well. Shak and Davis can give up 3-5 minutes apiece, and we need to make sure Hubbard still has legs in March too, so pull a couple of minutes from him and voila, Fort has his 10-12 minutes. If he's on fire, leave him in. If he's cold, sit him back down.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I have to say I questioned the posters who kept saying where is Murphy, why isn't he playing more, etc. After last night, I understand. He's got real potential and brought a spark to the team when he was on the floor.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
He looks like he could help. But I also want to see more than just one game. He made some questionable plays and decisions as well, and I can see why he would be a liability defensively.

We hit 9 three's and shot 85% from the line. That was the recipe for coming out a winner, more so than any other thing last night.

stateu1

Mar 21, 2016
Even when DJ comes back, we have to work Murphy into the rotation at a significant level. Based off how much Jans seems to be yelling at him, he still has some learning to do on defense and on how to get his shoe put back on quicker, but he has the ability to make shots and maybe more importantly to create his own shot. We desperately need both of those things. Midway in the first half last night we went with Shak, Hubbard, Cam, Murphy and Tolu for a few minutes. I'd like to see that fivesome get more time together on the court.

Jones on the other hand needs a cut. He's played 31 and 33 minutes the last two games. It was out of necessity at Bama I guess, but it was by Jans' choice last night. To his credit, he hit the biggest shot of the game, the corner three when they had cut it to three and that pushed it back out to six. That was his only make from three on six attempts. His flagrant 1 almost bit us in the ***.

If/when Fort returns, we need to make sure he's getting time as well. Shak and Davis can give up 3-5 minutes apiece, and we need to make sure Hubbard still has legs in March too, so pull a couple of minutes from him and voila, Fort has his 10-12 minutes. If he's on fire, leave him in. If he's cold, sit him back down.
Agree 100%

DawgatAuburn

Apr 25, 2006
He looks like he could help. But I also want to see more than just one game. He made some questionable plays and decisions as well, and I can see why he would be a liability defensively.

We hit 9 three's and shot 85% from the line. That was the recipe for coming out a winner, more so than any other thing last night.
We saw a stretch last year where he played pretty well and was getting about 15 minutes a game, but then his minutes deteriorated as the grind of conference play started. He's still somewhat inexperienced and is going to make some bad plays. Gotta live with those to some degree. As for last night, he was a part of those 9 made threes. At 2-4, he had the best percentage on the team last night.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
We saw a stretch last year where he played pretty well and was getting about 15 minutes a game, but then his minutes deteriorated as the grind of conference play started. He's still somewhat inexperienced and is going to make some bad plays. Gotta live with those to some degree. As for last night, he was a part of those 9 made threes. At 2-4, he had the best percentage on the team last night.

I think Jans again is trying to manage his roster. Jans likes defense. Hubbard and Tulo are both very average if not below average defensively. To add another poor defender out there is probably a lot of the reason why he hasnt played.

I'm OK with him playing. But i see why he hasnt played.

I'm not going to get too overwhelmed by one game. Good or Bad. I need to see more.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

Willow Grove Dawg

Nov 3, 2016

Murphy tends to get out of control and take some BAD shots, but you can't teach someone how to get their own shot or to have his length plus athletic ability. Coaching can cure his liabilities. He has to be on the floor significant minutes even after DJ returns.

Reactions: DawgatAuburn

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Murphy tends to get out of control and take some BAD shots, but you can't teach someone how to get their own shot or to have his length plus athletic ability. Coaching can cure his liabilities. He has to be on the floor significant minutes even after DJ returns.

If the bad shots didnt go in last night.. this thread would have never been started.

Again im ok with him playing. I'd like to see him be the primary sub behind Tulo.

I can totally see why he hasnt been playing. Glad the shots went in last night. But he's a role guy that i agree can get some minutes here or there, but if he's getting 20-25 minutes, then thats not a good thing. If he, tulo, and hubbard are on the floor defensively together, Jans will go nuts.. they'll let in way more than they score.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I agree he should get more minutes, but DJ is just starting to contribute defensively to this team. He doesn't take the wild shot nearly as much. I do think that Murphy can give us a little something extra in our lineup. He is green, but he has potential.

Reactions: HuntDawg

SouthFarmchicken

Oct 20, 2016
I have to say I questioned the posters who kept saying where is Murphy, why isn't he playing more, etc. After last night, I understand. He's got real potential and brought a spark to the team when he was on the floor.
He’s a legit SEC guy with a pretty good ceiling. Hopefully, he doesn’t transfer.

Reactions: patdog
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login