My “final answer” to the question of what to do about basketball coach was made

jdbulldog

Oct 27, 2007
during last night’s game when Garrison Brooks hit a huge three to tie the game at around the 5 minute mark. It brought a very brief rise in emotion of the team and our sparse crowd. That brief moment was immediately interrupted by a Coach Howland timeout. Bam. That did it for me. Unfreakin believable. That energy injection was immediately doused by our own coach. The regimentation is not for me. Set subs at set times regardless of what is going on with a player drives me nuts. For goodness sakes, do some real coaching and be willing to adapt to the flow of the game. Last night it seemed we made up our mind to play Shakeel regardless of his level of play. He had a poor game but still managed to play 28 minutes. I think he is a good player but last night he should have sat more. That is just one example. Oh well. I am out.

BonzoGoesToCollege

Aug 24, 2012
Last night it seemed we made up our mind to play Shakeel regardless of his level of play. He had a poor game but still managed to play 28 minutes. I think he is a good player but last night he should have sat more. That is just one example. Oh well. I am out.

I said the same thing to my wife about Moore, but she didn't give a crap. He has scored 13 points total in the last 4 games while averaging 23 minutes a game. Did Garcia even play in the 2nd half? We really need a true PG.

PirateDawg

Jan 9, 2020
Basketball is a streaky sport. Players get hot and a coach should use that as an opportunity. Unfortunately, coaches at State love to kill streaks. Stansbury was guilty of it too. We would have a player go on a 3 point scoring spree only to be pulled after the 3rd 3.

grimedawg1

Aug 25, 2012
I remember that time out and remember thinking it was an incredibly odd moment for a time out. I looked immediately at our time out situation thinking we must have had several. But, nope, we had two and this got us down to one with 5 minutes to go. Howland was emphatic on wanting a time out though.
If I recall correctly, immediately after that we had a terrible defensive possession and gave up points.

Basically, absolutely nothing was accomplished with the time out - except to drain a little energy from the coliseum.

missouridawg

Oct 6, 2009
during last night’s game when Garrison Brooks hit a huge three to tie the game at around the 5 minute mark. It brought a very brief rise in emotion of the team and our sparse crowd. That brief moment was immediately interrupted by a Coach Howland timeout. Bam. That did it for me. Unfreakin believable. That energy injection was immediately doused by our own coach. The regimentation is not for me. Set subs at set times regardless of what is going on with a player drives me nuts. For goodness sakes, do some real coaching and be willing to adapt to the flow of the game. Last night it seemed we made up our mind to play Shakeel regardless of his level of play. He had a poor game but still managed to play 28 minutes. I think he is a good player but last night he should have sat more. That is just one example. Oh well. I am out.

The goal of that timeout is to set up a good defensive possession. Which I can’t remember if it worked or not.

Also, Rick Barnes did the same exact thing like one minute later.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Agreed. We need to "Bruce Pearl" it. I'll gladly accept the risk vs the reward.

Lawdawg.sixpack

Jul 22, 2012
It didn't work. Fulkerson or someone got an open drive to the lane but thankfully we fouled him on the floor before the layup. Then they hit a 3 when we fell asleep on the inbounds pass...

It's a different analysis for the home team - your defense should feed off the crowd's energy. We had just scored 5 in a row to take the lead by 1. After our timeout, not only does UT get to draw up what they want on offense (their immediate possession before the timeout was a turnover), but now our crowd is sitting on their hands after the commercial break and, probably, a Richard Schwartz commercial...

patdog

May 28, 2007
Regardless of what the goal was, it was overcoaching. When you've just hit two 3s in a row and the players are playing hard and the crowd is going crazy, LET THE PLAYERS PLAY. This isn't the time to try to settle them down.

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
The worst play of the game was down 68-63 with about 1:10 left - we have an inbounds play from under the goal. Throw to Iverson and he shoots immediately off balance. Did we have to take that shot so quickly?

BonzoGoesToCollege

Aug 24, 2012
The worst play of the game was down 68-63 with about 1:10 left - we have an inbounds play from under the goal. Throw to Iverson and he shoots immediately off balance. Did we have to take that shot so quickly?

I agree, but that's our 1 and only inbounds play under our own basket. Curling Molinar to the baseline. It seldom works.

grimedawg1

Aug 25, 2012
You are right on the limited number of out of bounds plays, but I think we have one more inbounds play. Iverson throws the ball in to a big that cuts from the block out the corner. Iverson runs to the ball for a handoff behind the screen set by the big. Those are the two inbounds plays I can think of. That's it.

Last edited:

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007

None of our offensive plays in that time frame were very good and you could feel the desperation they were playing and shooting with watching. Evidently we had no strategy for that situation.

DawgsOnTheWing

Sep 26, 2012
It didn't work. Fulkerson or someone got an open drive to the lane but thankfully we fouled him on the floor before the layup. Then they hit a 3 when we fell asleep on the inbounds pass...

It's a different analysis for the home team - your defense should feed off the crowd's energy. We had just scored 5 in a row to take the lead by 1. After our timeout, not only does UT get to draw up what they want on offense (their immediate possession before the timeout was a turnover), but now our crowd is sitting on their hands after the commercial break and, probably, a Richard Schwartz commercial...

says a lot more about the Hump crowd than coaching….

Junction John

Oct 22, 2014
Never have. Never will.

Evidently we had no strategy for that situation

The shots we take at the end of 1st halves and end of games (on the rare occasions we actually get a shot off) are simply prayers. There is no discernable strategy, ever.

Dawgzilla

Mar 3, 2008
Howland's use of timeouts has always baffled me. More often than not, we only have 1 timeout left in the last 5 minutes of a game. Sometimes none. When we are in these close games that come down to the last possessions, we rarely have timeouts to burn to set up plays.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login