My daughter’s soccer game starts at 5 PM today

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
All advice appreciated in how to deal with this cruel twist of fate.

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
There's a bad stomach virus going around. You probably have it. Just **** your pants.

Last edited:

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
Oh, I can watch it on the sideline, but only if I want my wife to remove my soul from my body Mortal Kombat style.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
IF it’s sunny outside, either bring a canopy or find one so you can see your screen. Bose noise canceling headphones in case you are playing a coonass team.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
After the IOS an update the ESPN aapl is not functioning right when I turn a game sideways. Anyone had this issue?

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
How old? It determines the length of the game. You shouldn't miss the entire game and they make EarPods.

It's one of the reasons why I love my wife so much fun we were back in those times or if my granddaughters playing she wants to know what the score is because I'm watching the game on my phone. I remember the era that existed before we had smart phones and the divorce rate was so much higher during football season.

00Dawg

Nov 10, 2009
Band contests are looming for my family.

There's one on the TAMU weekend, and another on Arkansas. We've got season tickets in the 200s, which means not only is the money already spent, I only have a few more games with really nice seats, because who knows where we'll be next year.
I've already told my wife and child that if we're undefeated rolling into those, they may not enjoy my decision.

ETA: Got a date crossed. Apparently the Arkansas game is her first homecoming dance... So, nothing for me to attend, but someone's gotta be at home. I need the 6 PM timeslot for A&M, 2:30 PM or earlier for Arkansas.

Last edited:

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
I followed your advice almost exclusively during college, and I was really happen then. Thanks for always being there.

patdog

May 28, 2007
DVR game & watch it when you get home. You can watch the whole game in a little over 2 hours. Much less boredom this way. I probably won’t start watching until about 6:00 and I don’t have a soccer game to go to.

Last edited:

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
12. Hoping to catch the second half. And I have bone conduction headphones. That way hopefully I won’t miss it when my wife is saying something. I’m pretty much resigned to just taking my whoopin at this point.

Sep 12, 2013
I had a similar scenario before, involving a nephews birthday. Let’s just say I hurt my back and couldn’t hardly walk, and the only thing that helped numb the pain was beer.

Make the right choice.

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
Last week I wasn't staying up to watch that late of a game so I DVR'ed it. Watched it the next morning w/o knowing the winner. It was nice being able to skip through the commercials and halftime.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
Thread hijack….anyone else worried that a night game in Tiger Stadium is going to feel like an 11 AM Jefferson Pilot special for our team after the past 2 weekends? I’m worried about us being able to roll out of bed in time.

11thEagleFan

Sep 6, 2015
DeadbeatDadSpeak.com***

Seriously, how is this a dilemma? You DVR the game and listen to the game on your phone while you’re at your daughter’s soccer game. Also, think about how ****** you’ll feel if by some chance it turns into an LSU beatdown and you stayed home to watch it.

Jesus is watching you, and might punish us all for your selfishness. You go to that damn soccer game so that you make your kiddo happy, and to increase the chance of a State victory.

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
DeadbeatDadSpeak.com***

Seriously, how is this a dilemma? You DVR the game and listen to the game on your phone while you’re at your daughter’s soccer game. Also, think about how ****** you’ll feel if by some chance it turns into an LSU beatdown and you stayed home to watch it.

Jesus is watching you, and might punish us all for your selfishness. You go to that damn soccer game so that you make your kiddo happy, and to increase the chance of a State victory.

Sigh. This is absolutely the correct answer.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Go to the soccer game. Is this even a question? You’re choosing a football game over your daughter, let that sink in a little.

11thEagleFan

Sep 6, 2015
Just want you to know that I’m proud of you.

May you be rewarded with your daughter scoring a hat trick and a State victory.

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
Go to the soccer game. Is this even a question? You’re choosing a football game over your daughter, let that sink in a little.

joke
/jōk/
Learn to pronounce
noun
a thing that someone says to cause amusement or laughter, especially a story with a funny punchline.
"she was in a mood to tell jokes"

And there was never a question. I was always going to her game and cheering for her the whole time. Thanks for shatting on the fun I was having with this though

1msucub

Oct 3, 2004
I’m going to put my $.02 in here as briefly as I can.

Go to the soccer game. Check the score if you have to, stream it on your phone with the volume off if you HAVE to, but go to that game, man.

I’ll be 50 in a few months, and I’ve spent the past four years going to band competitions in the fall with at least three more years to go. I absolutely don’t regret one solitary second of it, and I’m closer to my boys now than ever. With our phones being the tools they are now, you can absolutely have the best of both worlds.

Go to the game. Watch every second your daughter is on the field with your phone in your pocket. You don’t want her looking up and seeing you staring at that screen.

Bulldog from Birth

Jan 23, 2007
Go to the soccer game. If it’s that important to watch us, DVR it and avoid checking your phone for a few hours.

Family requires balancing interests for everyone. But that includes dads too. Expecting Dad to be MIA for every Saturday during the Fall for games isn’t balanced. But I would also say it’s not unreasonable to expect there may be a special football
type event that would take priority for you. For instance for me, if a kid had a sporting event tonight during LSU I would be at the kid’s event. But if there was a kid’s soccer game conflicted with us in the SEC Championship, the next game rivaling the MSU-Auburn 2014 game, etc., the family knows Dad’s probably out on the soccer game that week. If you go all in on kids events like today and show them your kids take priority, you will tend to get some grace when it really would pain you to miss one of those rare can’t miss events.

maroonmadman

Nov 7, 2010
Do they need a timekeeper for her soccer game? If so volunteer and speed up the game. If not bribe the person who is the timekeeper to speed up the game.

dog12

Sep 15, 2016
DeadbeatDadSpeak.com***

This is the answer.

As a father, there is no higher priority than my daughter (my only child).

I'd walk 100 miles to watch her play in a soccer game . . . and she doesn't even play soccer. If my daughter is playing in a sports game, then I'm there watching her play.

Either DVR the Mississippi State football game, or you can catch the highlights sometime later.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
You are truly devoted to your schtick - though to be fair to you, it’s not a schtick so much as it is cosplay - so you get a thumbs up.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login