My email to Greg Byrne and his response about the MSU baseball coach

dawginlaurel

Aug 5, 2007
I was shocked he responded.
<div> </div> <div style="COLOR: #000000"> <div> Mr. Byrne, </div> <div> </div> <div> I wanted to congratulate you on becoming the new Athletic Director at Mississippi State. I have heard many great things from people that know you personally. I am 28 years old, and recently became a Bulldog Club Member after your hiring. Although I give a small amount, who knows what that could turn into in the years to come. </div> <div> </div> <div> I'm sure you get many emails all the time regarding Coach Polk resigning. I really hope you will consider Coach Cohen at Kentucky. Anyone that can do what he did at that school in baseball is a great coach. Not to mention he is a Mississippi State boy. I know the feeling amongst a lot of us is that Coach Raffo will be promoted. I urge you to make this a national search. MSU baseball can and should be one of the top 5 programs in the nation year in and year out. </div> <div> </div> <div> I appreciate you taking the time to talk to people, and you seem like you genuinely care what more than a select few think. </div> <div> </div> <div> Thanks, </div> <div> </div> <div> Chris Barron </div> <div> Brandon, MS

<div> Hi Chris, </div> <div> </div> <div> Thanks for the note and I really appreciate you joining the Bulldog Club. We will do a thorough search and find the right person for Mississippi State. Go Dawgs! Greg </div> </div> </div>

MSUCostanza

Jan 10, 2007
Hopefully Byrne is not just blowing smoke up your ***, and is truly sincere about not allowing Polk to dictate the future of MSU baseball.

Indndawg

Nov 16, 2005
And wanted me back in the BC ASAP.

I'm really encouraged that he and the committee will do a THOUROUGH search.

This type of search does not seem to be Raffo has the job locked down.

This is good stuff.

Todd4State

Mar 3, 2008
Greg responded to my e-mail with a very similar response. It was not exactly the same as yours, so at least it wasn't a copy, cut, and paste job. More importantly, he told me that MSU will do a thurough coaching search.

At the very least, he read and knows how at least some of us feel. And also, it's nice that we have an AD that will at least acknowledge the alumni and fans.

That's definately a sign of encouragement.

rugbdawg

Oct 10, 2006
things differently from Polk. He can't be a complete idiot. I don't understand why Polk did not resign effective immediately. This way we can see for slightly more than half of a season what Raffo does. Hell, he may use our speed AND bunt it every now and then. In other words, we could let Raffo audition for the job because there is NO WAY IN HELL he is our best choice based on credentials.

3000lbchicken

May 1, 2006
<p class="MsoNormal" style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">Exactly the type of person he is and exactly the type response he should send. I wouldn't over analyze his response.</p>

Indndawg

Nov 16, 2005
This is a new breed of of AD than we're used to. I'm thinkin' he and LT are gonna have some frank chats between now and June 30.

ArrowDawg

Oct 10, 2006
MSUCostanza said:
Hopefully Byrne is not just blowing smoke up your ***, and is truly sincere about not allowing Polk to dictate the future of MSU baseball.

</p>Unfortunately, I tend to lean towards dawginlaurel wondering what that smokey mist is coming from the toilet the next time he uses it. Sure, Byrne says it'll be a thorough search, but at MSU that generally means telling the public what they want to hear and ending up doing what they always do.

I guess I'm just a huge cynic when it comes to these matters. I apologize if I come across too negatively about it, but I hope you all can understand why.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login