My Grizzlies took a hit......

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
....for next season. Ja' got suspended for 25 games. Was it ever determined if he broke a law in TN or the City of Memphis by flashing a gun? I guess it's left up to Adam Silver to determine the punishment. Seems like a lot, but Silver is sort of a liberal progressive guy and probably hates guns anyway. I would have given him a 10 game suspension. I look at it as a poor example to youth to be exhibiting gang-like behavior. Next time, go to shooting range in Memphis if you want to show off your pistol. There's several of the them scattered around the area.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Yeah, I think this was dubmassness more than anything else. He wasn't convicted of anything, but after you've served one suspension for dubmassness and allegedly learned from the suspension, you can't expect to be treated gently when you double down on the same dubmassness within a few weeks.

I hate it. I love the Grizz and they have a real chance if they can keep their core together and do a good job backfilling the Dillon Brooks roster spot, but they also have the potential to 17 everything up.

Reactions: HRMSU

curseddawgs

Jun 16, 2021
I understand the optics of everything but should an employee get suspended for exercising his second amendment rights?

Reactions: Cantdoitsal

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I understand the optics of everything but should an employee get suspended for exercising his second amendment rights?
If it's in your contract, then yes. There's a "conduct-detrimental-to-the-league clause" in every player's contract.

Ja Morant has the right to own a firearm. He does not have a right to play in the NBA.

Allen Iverson couldn't release a rap album because the NBA found its lyrics too abrasive for someone they considered 'a face' of the league. If he had released it, he was told he would have served a suspension. Same principle applied to AI's first amendment rights. He had every right to release that album and the NBA had every right to suspend him.

ETA: I want to also touch on one other thing... this isn't specific to the NBA or pro athletes. If I went out and did something that drew negative attention to the company I work for and was perceived to be a risk to their bottom line, I would very likely be terminated or suspended, even it was outside of work hours and even if it was legal. I don't know why professional athletes should be exempt from that concept.

BulldogLegacy

Feb 27, 2008
....for next season. Ja' got suspended for 25 games. Was it ever determined if he broke a law in TN or the City of Memphis by flashing a gun? I guess it's left up to Adam Silver to determine the punishment. Seems like a lot, but Silver is sort of a liberal progressive guy and probably hates guns anyway. I would have given him a 10 game suspension. I look at it as a poor example to youth to be exhibiting gang-like behavior. Next time, go to shooting range in Memphis if you want to show off your pistol. There's several of the them scattered around the area.
You might need to rethink this post. Silvers predecessor would have docked him a lot more game than 25. He got off light.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
You have a long off-season for public opinion to change this to a shorter suspension. It all could change. It probably won't, but the right PR group has enough time before next season starts.

dog99walker

Jul 16, 2021
More young Black teens die from gun violence than disease. Second Amendment is still in place and will never change, but the optics of a league star flashing his weapon on social media saying, “Look at me!”, couldn’t be a good message. Silver did right. Too bad for the Griz that Ja is being irresponsible.

Reactions: Dawgg

HotMop

May 8, 2006
He's making Antonio Brown look like a member of MENSA. I suspect he'll do something else stupid before his suspension is up.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
He's making Antonio Brown look like a member of MENSA. I suspect he'll do something else stupid before his suspension is up.
I'm about as big a Grizz fan as you'll find, but I can't even begin to justify the BS that Morant has pulled over the last few months. Just a complete lack of any level of intelligence, awareness, or responsibility. I also don't think that this level of stupidity gets fixed by going to a couple weeks of therapy or sitting out for 25 games. He'll grow up one of these days, but I can't help but agree that we haven't seen the end of this clown show yet

Reactions: Dawgg and Drebin

HotMop

May 8, 2006
I'm about as big a Grizz fan as you'll find, but I can't even begin to justify the BS that Morant has pulled over the last few months. Just a complete lack of any level of intelligence, awareness, or responsibility. I also don't think that this level of stupidity gets fixed by going to a couple weeks of therapy or sitting out for 25 games. He'll grow up one of these days, but I can't help but agree that we haven't seen the end of this clown show yet
Which professional team in China will he become a member?

Cow College

Aug 21, 2012
Is it your opinion you can only be suspended for breaking the law? People get suspended all the time without going to jail

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Whether he broke the law or not is immaterial. He violated a league rule, was suspended for it, met with the commissioner and promised to never do it again, and then did it aGAIN.

He's a dubmass. He's an embarrassment to the grizzlies organization and I say that as a guy who's spent a lot of money on grizzlies tickets over the years.

Reactions: dorndawg and Dawgg

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
I think it's a shame it's a big deal due to "Black Guy with a Gun" optics. We've gone downhill since the Teddy Roosevelt Days.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
So he posts a pic of him packing. Shouldn't be a big deal but it is due to societal decay and the tolerance for barbaric behavior.
Are you saying tolerance for barbaric behavior has gone down or gone up since Teddy Roosevelt?

Reactions: mstateglfr

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
Are you saying tolerance for barbaric behavior has gone down or gone up since Teddy Roosevelt?
Up. Late 70's Greenwood High Parking Lot full of pickups brandishing rifles as lethal as an AR-15 but it was no big deal. Urban War Zones wouldn't of been tolerated back then. So now we've got people freaking out over guns when we used to not.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
I think it's a shame it's a big deal due to "Black Guy with a Gun" optics. We've gone downhill since the Teddy Roosevelt Days.
So he posts a pic of him packing. Shouldn't be a big deal but it is due to societal decay and the tolerance for barbaric behavior.
Up. Late 70's Greenwood High Parking Lot full of pickups brandishing rifles as lethal as an AR-15 but it was no big deal. Urban War Zones wouldn't of been tolerated back then. So now we've got people freaking out over guns when we used to not.

Thank you for the Monday morning smile. This break from an overwhelming amount of work that is soon due was well worth it.

Reactions: Cantdoitsal

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
Thank you for the Monday morning smile. This break from an overwhelming amount of work that is soon due was well worth it.
And on a side note, the NRA was primarily formed to enable freed slaves to exercise their 2A Rights to protect themselves from the 17ing Klan. Certainly wasn't anything wrong with THOSE Black Guys with Guns.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I'm not sure about your sense of history, especially as it pertains to America. You really mean to tell me that the level of barbarism in this country is higher today than it was before 1908? Before Teddy Roosevelt was the Slave trade, the Trail of Tears, The Civil War, Anti-Chinese laws, Anti-Indian laws, Jim Crow laws, the rise of the Klan and lynch mobs.

Mob lynchings were becoming such a problem during his presidency that Teddy Roosevelt literally mentioned them in his State of the Union address.

And that's just the big stuff, you can apply that at a lower level to sports too. Hell, the level of barbarism was so high in college football that 19 college football players died on the field during one of Roosevelt's years in office. Doesn't sounds like a huge number for the time until you realize there was roughly 1/5 as many football players back then as there are today, so you could extrapolate that out to about 95 players a year in today's numbers. It nearly killed the sport until rules were put in place to lower the level of violence.

Also, there were mass shootings in the 1970's, so I'm not sure what your point was.

Finally.. I hear on the board a lot about the 'wussification' of America and how 'woke' is making us all weak... well, which is it? I don't feel like you can say that the United States has had its tolerance for barbaric behavior raised while also lowering its tolerance for off-color jokes.

Reactions: PRAVan1996

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
And on a side note, the NRA was primarily formed to enable freed slaves to exercise their 2A Rights to protect themselves from the 17ing Klan. Certainly wasn't anything wrong with THOSE Black Guys with Guns.
Did anybody involved have NBA contracts?

Because that’s what we’re talking about.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
I'm not sure about your sense of history, especially as it pertains to America. You really mean to tell me that the level of barbarism in this country is higher today than it was before 1908? Before Teddy Roosevelt was the Slave trade, the Trail of Tears, The Civil War, Anti-Chinese laws, Anti-Indian laws, Jim Crow laws, the rise of the Klan and lynch mobs.

Mob lynchings were becoming such a problem during his presidency that Teddy Roosevelt literally mentioned them in his State of the Union address.

And that's just the big stuff, you can apply that at a lower level to sports too. Hell, the level of barbarism was so high in college football that 19 college football players died on the field during one of Roosevelt's years in office. Doesn't sounds like a huge number for the time until you realize there was roughly 1/5 as many football players back then as there are today, so you could extrapolate that out to about 95 players a year in today's numbers. It nearly killed the sport until rules were put in place to lower the level of violence.

Also, there were mass shootings in the 1970's, so I'm not sure what your point was.

Finally.. I hear on the board a lot about the 'wussification' of America and how 'woke' is making us all weak... well, which is it? I don't feel like you can say that the United States has had its tolerance for barbaric behavior raised while also lowering its tolerance for off-color jokes.
Urban War zones would not have been tolerated in times past. Because now that they are, black guys with guns now freak people out when before they didn't. That's all I'm sayin'.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
You got a source? I would enjoy reading more about this. Seriously

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
Whether he broke the law or not is immaterial. He violated a league rule, was suspended for it, met with the commissioner and promised to never do it again, and then did it aGAIN.

He's a dubmass. He's an embarrassment to the grizzlies organization and I say that as a guy who's spent a lot of money on grizzlies tickets over the years.
Well, I guess we'll be facing him again in the future years when the Lakers come to town.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Urban War zones would not have been tolerated in times past. Because now that they are, black guys with guns now freak people out when before they didn't. That's all I'm sayin'.
“Times past”… like:

“Bloody Kansas” in the 1850’s?

the Protestant-Catholic blood feuds like
Dead Rabbits riot in the late 1850’s?

the New York Draft riot of 1863?

the Orange Riots of the 1870’s?

the street violence that pervaded US cities during Prohibition?

the Tulsa Massacre of 1921?

And that’s just what I can think of from a documentary I’ve watched or a book I’ve read.

I’m not sure where you believe this magical time was when “Urban War Zones didn’t exist”, but as long as there have been urban areas of the United States, there have been Urban War Zones.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
He's lucky it was only 25 games, especially since its a 2nd offense in 2 months and the first one was in a public place.

"Gilbert Arenas and Javaris Crittenton were both suspended for the rest of the season in January 2010 after an incident involving guns in the Washington Wizards locker room. Arenas' suspension (50 games) was technically longer than Crittenton's (38) because Arenas had been suspended for 12 games before then-NBA commissioner David Stern made his official ruling. In Morant's case, the guns were not on team property, but this was a second offense, following the March incident."

"So, it's not a legal standard. It's a private organization standard. Ja Morant's decision to once again wield a firearm on social media is alarming and disconcerting given his similar conduct in March for which he was already suspended eight games," NBA commissioner Adam Silver said in the league's statement. "The potential for other young people to emulate Ja's conduct is particularly concerning. Under these circumstances, we believe a suspension of 25 games is appropriate and makes clear that engaging in reckless and irresponsible behavior with guns will not be tolerated."" Adam Silver

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
He’s cost himself $50 million for being a dubmass Think about that.
Not according to ESPN. This doesn't appear to include Powerade telling him adios:

"The financial implications are seismic. Unlike the previous suspension that cost Morant $83,583 per game and a total of almost $669,000, the current suspension increases to $304,545 per game and a total of more than $7.6 million."

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
You got a source? I would enjoy reading more about this. Seriously
I had come to think it common knowledge but upon further review a few minutes ago that NRA Story may be BS. The founders were indeed NYC former Union Soldiers who expressed concerns about freed slaves but their main goal was to have better marksmen for the military.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
Do you believe players should only be suspended for breaking the law?
No, and I get your point that a business has rights to protect their brand. Here's a good black guy with a gun though who didn't get any grief.
1687205980903.png

Last edited:

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Not according to ESPN. This doesn't appear to include Powerade telling him adios:

"The financial implications are seismic. Unlike the previous suspension that cost Morant $83,583 per game and a total of almost $669,000, the current suspension increases to $304,545 per game and a total of more than $7.6 million."
He lost almost $40 million on his supermax deal with his first offense. If he had made all pro, a clause would have triggered that would have made his supermax deal worth significantly more money. But he got suspended, missed games, and hurt his reputation, which resulted in him being left off the all NBA team. If he hadn't been suspended, he would've been a shoo-in to make it, just as he had done years prior.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
No, and I get your point that a business has rights to protect their brand. Here's a good black guy with a gun though who didn't get any grief.
View attachment 354272
Who is this? What is the history of this picture?

Either way, I can just about guarantee you he wasn’t the face of a professional sports league in 1890.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login