My one and only Saban related story

HotelSuttle

Sep 29, 2022
I was in Orlando for the change of the century, Y2K, and Michigan State was playing Florida in the Citrus Bowl that year. We were hanging out at City Walk at Universal. This is when Saban left Michigan State for LSU. I was talking with one their fans and said hate to hear y’all lost your coach before the bowl game. Dude responded, “F*** that MFer, he can’t coach anyway. Didn’t age well!

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
Right after Saban got hired at LSU, I was listening to some college football call in show, and some LSU goober fan called in complaining about the new hire. He said LSU had just hired some yankee who didn’t know anything about southern football. Talk about an opinion that didn’t age well.

Reactions: MaroonSadness99

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Everyone knew that when Saban could no longer have a distinct unfair advantage, he would just quit.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
After Croom beat Saban at State we were walking across the Humps parking lot to attend the basketball game. The Alabama busses were in the parking lot in front of the Palmero Center. I looked to my right and Saban was about to cross my path. I said, "Good game coach!" I guess it was in a sarcastic tone. He got real serious and yelled," WE WILL SEE YOU IN TUSCALOOSA NEXT YEAR"! He was about 4 feet away from me all serious faced. We were laughing when we went into the Hump. It was always a treat to be savored when we beat Alabama.

Reactions: 22yardpunt

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
Oh to be able to go back through the posts on SPS from 2007-2008 that predicted Saban’s assured failure as a head coach at Bama. Post after post after post whistling past the graveyard. Especially after he got crxxmed in ‘07.

Reactions: Ranchdawg

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
Maybe, but damn did he maximize the gains from that advantage.
Not me, I knew a couple of LSU boosters when I lived in Florida. It is the reason I posted on Gene's page the day he was hired that college football as we knew it was going to die. Saban knew how to milk the boosters and my LSU friends told me about the meetings they went to when he was at LSU. The rumors about Saban saying we were collecting bottles and cans on the side of the road to fund our program may not be rumors. Just sayin'

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
The butterfly effect of the Dolphins passing on signing Drew Brees when Saban was their coach is one of the wildest things ever if you consider how much that decision changed both college football and the NFL.

I remember when Bama hired him, I read a post on a Bama message board saying he would win at least 5 national titles. I thought that guy was delusional… turns out he was short selling Saban. I believe he ended up winning 6 at Bama. And came very close several other times.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login