My plan to combat NIL......

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Most NFL players are mad that they didn't get paid MORE while in school.
Yes. That's a secondary function of this thread - to show just how incredibly stupid all of this is.

I cannot imagine the mindset of someone with enough disposable income to just GIVE it to these players. Two HUGE streams of income (NFL players and TV money) yet it's expected that the alumni will shoulder this burden. 17 that noise.

Last edited:

Bud.sixpack

Aug 24, 2012
Exactly! That's partly why I'm out. The player's talking heads started with "with all the money football is making the players should be able to get theirs ". Now they are going to get paid, but by corporate and boosters. But they still want me to pony up 5K for tickets, 17 that noise!!

PBDog

Oct 1, 2021
17em …. I’ll watch YouTube videos on kayak fishing and office bloopers before I give them a single dollar

Maroonthirteen

Aug 22, 2012
Exactly! That's partly why I'm out. The player's talking heads started with "with all the money football is making the players should be able to get theirs ". Now they are going to get paid, but by corporate and boosters. But they still want me to pony up 5K for tickets, 17 that noise!!

YES! Finally someone that is thinking like me. Mississippi State (and every other school) can drop these required donations for bleacher seats. I mean damn.... you got a $50 million tv check coming in. Throw us regulars a bone. Or we will watch from home. Also, you better come up with some creative to get that tv money in the hands of your most valuable resource. Joe Fan with a wife and 2.5 kids (that you are charging $22000 a year for tuition and room on his kids) ain't the one.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Yes. That's a secondary function of this thread - to show just how incredibly stupid all of this is.

I cannot imagine the mindset of someone with enough disposable income to just GIVE it to these players. Two HUGE streams of income (NFL players and TV money) yet it's expected that the alumni will shoulder this burden. 17 that noise.
I can’t speak to everyone’s mindset so I’ll give mine.
Do I like the current setup for NIL? No
Do I still like MSU football and college football as a whole? Yes
So I am willing to part with an amount of money a month that I would spend on a Fall Saturday afternoon, on a bottle of bourbon, to at least give me a chance to make that bottle celebratory vs drowning my sorrows.
Do I expect anyone else to contribute? No. That’s your money and your prerogative.

statedogg1

Aug 17, 2018
I agree, to me its a zero sum game for the alumni. Between my BC contribution and seats I already give what i consider to be my fair share. I am fine if that amount gets divided up between NIL, BC, and MSU. But passing the buck to me isn't an option.

MetEdDawg

Aug 22, 2012

Here's the thing though. This isn't about the university passing this along to the ticket holders or alumni. This is about which alumni bases are willing to use existing rules to get ahead.

NIL happened and with it came opportunities for additional streams of revenue to come to players directly from alumni. It's not a requirement. But some universities do have a fan base willing to use this tool to their advantage. On the whole ours is not.

The university didn't pass this along to us. College football and those who will do anything to get ahead did. The question now is whether or not you want to be part of this portion of the new college football. If not that's fine. But just know that the fan bases of the schools we are in direct competition with are completely ok with us not being all in on this. Because that's just greater opportunity for them to surpass us.

It sucks but it's facts.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Too bad we don’t have a coach that is willing to put in the effort to build relationships with former players to build toward the future.
We could form a committee for that, or something to that effect. Coach just needs to put a good brand of football on the field and maximize the talent he has.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Here's the thing though. This isn't about the university passing this along to the ticket holders or alumni. This is about which alumni bases are willing to use existing rules to get ahead.

NIL happened and with it came opportunities for additional streams of revenue to come to players directly from alumni. It's not a requirement. But some universities do have a fan base willing to use this tool to their advantage. On the whole ours is not.

The university didn't pass this along to us. College football and those who will do anything to get ahead did. The question now is whether or not you want to be part of this portion of the new college football. If not that's fine. But just know that the fan bases of the schools we are in direct competition with are completely ok with us not being all in on this. Because that's just greater opportunity for them to surpass us.

It sucks but it's facts.
In my best Billy Beane voice, why are we trying to play that game? We can't win it. We are a 'have-not' in the division of the 'haves'. We have to think differently.

That's why I say lobbying directly to athletes is one way to go. Of course our big donors will be involved as well, but like you say, not to the extent of other schools' big donors.

I don't blame anyone. Like you said, it's just life and times.

Last edited:

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
In my best Billy Beane voice, why are we trying to play that game? We can't win it. We are a 'have-not' in the division of the 'haves'. We have to think differently.

That's why I say lobbying directly to athletes is one way to go. Of course our big donors will be involved as well, but like you say, not to the extent of other schools' big donors.

I don't blame anyone. Like you said, it's just life and times.

Do you think we’d be the only school in the division trying to lobby former players for money?

Just like every other avenue, virtually all of our immediate conference competition has us beaten in spades for anything related to money / donations. The more college football becomes a fundraising competition, the worse it will be for MSU.

The only “think differently” concept that works for MSU and creates any sort of an advantage is for us to flip both middle fingers to the old school (pun definitely intended) academic side, declare football as a degree program, give course credit for all football related activities, and get rid of the traditional academic setting entirely for football (and basketball, and every other sport if it helps). Vast quality of life improvement for all MSU athletes who go this route, and more professional development opportunity as well.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Do you think we’d be the only school in the division trying to lobby former players for money?

Just like every other avenue, virtually all of our immediate conference competition has us beaten in spades for anything related to money / donations. The more college football becomes a fundraising competition, the worse it will be for MSU.
There's a point of diminishing returns. Locations, overall amount of money spent, coaching, and the school/town itself.....these things still matter, as they always have.

The only “think differently” concept that works for MSU and creates any sort of an advantage is for us to flip both middle fingers to the old school (pun definitely intended) academic side, declare football as a degree program, give course credit for all football related activities, and get rid of the traditional academic setting entirely for football (and basketball, and every other sport if it helps). Vast quality of life improvement for all MSU athletes who go this route, and more professional development opportunity as well.
I'm open to any ideas. But I'm nearly as fatalistic about it as you (and a few others here).

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
We could form a committee for that, or something to that effect. Coach just needs to put a good brand of football on the field and maximize the talent he has.

If we're going the Moneyball route, the only committee I want to be on is one that sits in a room and evaluates recruits and says things like "Ugly girlfriend? That means he has no confidence. Next!"

coachnorm

Jul 23, 2015
The thread says combat "THE NIL". What type of NIL is being combated (1) A corporate/business NIL like Bryce Young in which he is collecting, from disbursements, mostly from out of Alabama businesses, mostly Los Angeles? or (2) College collectives in which money disbursal is happening at a campus or boosters therein? The Supreme Court has laid the framework for a student to seek damages for any entity that impedes a corporate/business NIL?

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
The thread says combat "THE NIL". What type of NIL is being combated (1) A corporate/business NIL like Bryce Young in which he is collecting, from disbursements, mostly from out of Alabama businesses, mostly Los Angeles? or (2) College collectives in which money disbursal is happening at a campus or boosters therein? The Supreme Court has laid the framework for a student to seek damages for any entity that impedes a corporate/business NIL?

The Supreme Court laid the framework for the athlete to seek damages from any entity that impedes any NIL infringement. Doesn’t matter if its an actual corporate entity, a booster collective, or anything else.

And you are kidding yourself if you think most of Bryce Young’s NIL is coming from non-Alabama interests. He had 7 figures lined up before he even took a single snap as the starter.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012

It sucks but it's facts.

The statement above is completely false. The percentage of fans willing to give to NIL based entities at MSU is not any different than it is anywhere else. Its going to be a really, really small percentage everywhere, but the numerator / denominator ratio is going to be roughly the same. At MSU, its not the size of the numerator that’s the problem. It’s the size of the denominator.

coachnorm

Jul 23, 2015
The Supreme Court laid the framework for the athlete to seek damages from any entity that impedes any NIL infringement. Doesn’t matter if its an actual corporate entity, a booster collective, or anything else.

And you are kidding yourself if you think most of Bryce Young’s NIL is coming from non-Alabama interests. He had 7 figures lined up before he even took a single snap as the starter.

This is the documentation to prove that Bryce Young's NIL is from outside of anything within the State of Alabama?

https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.c...10/Marketing-and-Sponsorship/Bryce-Young.aspx

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
This is the documentation to prove that Bryce Young's NIL is from outside of anything within the State of Alabama?

https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.c...10/Marketing-and-Sponsorship/Bryce-Young.aspx

I wasn’t referring to the geographic state of Alabama. I was referring to the University of Alabama, its boosters, and all those who represent its athletic interests…..all of which are located all over the planet. In case you don’t know how all this works, the companies aren’t the source of the money. They are simply the conduit.

Last edited:

coachnorm

Jul 23, 2015
I wasn’t referring to the geographic state of Alabama. I was referring to the University of Alabama, its boosters, and all those who represent its athletic interests…..all of which are located all over the planet. In case you don’t know how all this works, the companies aren’t the source of the money. They are simply the conduit.

I will use one of many in the sportsbusinessjournal.com and it is Netflix. Is it not possible that Netflix has made a contract with Bryce Young to use is Name, Image, and Likeness to make a documentary for profit? If this is true, it has been executed outside the sphere of anything affiliated with the Alabama Football Program or anything Alabama. This smells like Los Angeles working on a big payday?

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
I will use one of many in the sportsbusinessjournal.com and it is Netflix. Is it not possible that Netflix has made a contract with Bryce Young to use is Name, Image, and Likeness to make a documentary for profit? If this is true, it has been executed outside the sphere of anything affiliated with the Alabama Football Program or anything Alabama. This smells like Los Angeles working on a big payday?

Netflix featured BY (amongst others) in Season 4 of their QB1 show back in 2020….it featured his high school career. It was supposed to air retroactively diring his redshirt year while Mac Jones was starting, but never got released for whatever reason. Thats one that may not directly involve the Tide, but also one that wouldn’t have materialized if he signed with, say, Fresno State instead of Alabama. One thing of note on Young is that he picked up a lot of NIL money after signing….as the NIL curtain wasn’t yet lifted when he signed. But he didn’t get anywhere close to the $2-$3 million he has accumulated from that arrangement. And he got most of that before he ever took a snap.

Last edited:

dawgphd

May 16, 2008
Would be curious if Leach has tossed any of his 5.5MM paycheck to Bulldog Inititative?

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login