My solution for NIL

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
CFB needs four conferences of big time programs with 16 (or so) teams, so around 64 programs. Obviously the top 10 or so programs are going to dominate and will have NIL resources of many times the remaining programs. We don't need the mid tier teams being destined to be 4-8 every year, to keep interest up, there's need to be a little competitive balance.

One way to achieve this would be to institute some type of program where when a team signs to highly desired portal player, that team "kicks back" a taste to the team that player came from. A luxury tax of sorts. For example, Wash State signed and developed Cam Ward. If he transfers to TOSU, TOSU needs to kick back some money to Wash State's collective.

Most players are in the portal due to being encouraged to leave by their current coaches, so this would only apply to the top portal prospects.

Certainly tons of details to be worked out, but it's a starting point.

Reactions: Anon1697564126
Aug 3, 2011
CFB needs four conferences of big time programs with 16 (or so) teams, so around 64 programs. Obviously the top 10 or so programs are going to dominate and will have NIL resources of many times the remaining programs. We don't need the mid tier teams being destined to be 4-8 every year, to keep interest up, there's need to be a little competitive balance.

One way to achieve this would be to institute some type of program where when a team signs to highly desired portal player, that team "kicks back" a taste to the team that player came from. A luxury tax of sorts. For example, Wash State signed and developed Cam Ward. If he transfers to TOSU, TOSU needs to kick back some money to Wash State's collective.

Most players are in the portal due to being encouraged to leave by their current coaches, so this would only apply to the top portal prospects.

Certainly tons of details to be worked out, but it's a starting point.
The biggest thing they could do now is abolish the one time free transfer. That would help a lot with the unmitigated free agency. Keep an exception for head coach turnover.

patdog

May 28, 2007
The biggest thing they could do now is abolish the one time free transfer. That would help a lot with the unmitigated free agency. Keep an exception for head coach turnover.
Or if you’re going to keep the free transfers, allow multi year enforceable contracts & a soccer type transfer system. If a school wants your player under contract, the schools can agree on a transfer fee.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Once again-

From an NCAA perspective-
- reduce scholarships from 85 to 60 per school.
- limit overall roster to 75 per school.

^ these are things help ensure fewer transfers and ensure more competition since talent would have to spread to more programs.

From an NIL collective perspective-
- tie performance metrics to NIL money. Its easy to claim a players name/image/likeness is more valuable if they perform better.
- tie staying in a program to NIL money. Player gets $X over 5 years and if they transfer, $Y must be paid back or $Y must be forfeited.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I think NIL was supposed to be about a player getting paid for his/her name, image, likeness.

For example it was to supposed to allow a player like Caleb Williams to be paid to be in a DP commercial while still an eligible player. Do players with NIL deals have to actually do anything for their deals? I don't see many current college football players doing advertisements.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
The transfer portal is the biggest problem. NIL has essentially always gone on, albeit under the table. What you have now is players with no contracts able to move at will with no penalty for them or the school they go to, or compensation for the school they leave. If they want to be pros then treat them like pros, put them on CONTRACTS. If Bama wants our QB, they have to pay for his contract.

Reactions: boatsandhoes

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
I think NIL was supposed to be about a player getting paid for his/her name, image, likeness.

For example it was to supposed to allow a player like Caleb Williams to be paid to be in a DP commercial while still an eligible player. Do players with NIL deals have to actually do anything for their deals? I don't see many current college football players doing advertisements.
No, they dont have to do anything beyond existing. They can just be paid for having a name/image/likeness that is valuable to someone. And that value can exist in the form of playing for someone's favorite football team.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
Here's an idea. Ncaa use their revenue to hire an army investigators

Tell schools, you can't be involved with NIL in any shape form or fashion. If you or any of your boosters are caught using NIL for signatures or transfers.....mandatory 1 year probation; no tv, no tv revenue, No bowl, reduced scholarships of 50%. 2nd offense: 1 year death penalty.

one can dream.

Last edited:

dogeater

Jan 24, 2020
One way, maybe the only way, to address NIL is to get an anti-trust waiver from congress. NIL is nothing more than a form of capitalism--so restraining NIL is legally perilous without a waiver. What I am suggesting is a salary cap per team--something resmbling the caps in pro sports together with reasonable restrictions on transferring. If the SEC and Big 10 can develop a consencus outline they could then recruit the Big 12 and the ACC. This is doable legislation but not suggesting it will be easy. The schools could then agree to an oversight board and set stiff penalties for violations of the caps, tighten up transfer rules in order to bring discipline to roster management, set minimum guarantees per player, health insurance, etc., Just don't see another way to comprehensively tackle this issue.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
One way, maybe the only way, to address NIL is to get an anti-trust waiver from congress. NIL is nothing more than a form of capitalism--so restraining NIL is legally perilous without a waiver. What I am suggesting is a salary cap per team--something resmbling the caps in pro sports together with reasonable restrictions on transferring. If the SEC and Big 10 can develop a consencus outline they could then recruit the Big 12 and the ACC. This is doable legislation but not suggesting it will be easy. The schools could then agree to an oversight board and set stiff penalties for violations of the caps, tighten up transfer rules in order to bring discipline to roster management, set minimum guarantees per player, health insurance, etc., Just don't see another way to comprehensively tackle this issue.
Nice job, interesting thoughts.

dogeater

Jan 24, 2020
not 'feasible' as in 'not a workable solution' or 'not achievable?'
this is a workable solution--but nothing at this level is easy--literally requires an act of congress!
but in the big picture it seems likely congress would support this type of solution as state universities (and the major donors thereto) are
extremely important constituents...while players in the portal are not an important constituency. if the conferences can agree on a program that is viewed to be "fair" to those in the portal my guess is this type program would fare well in congress.

could even do a program where the same rules and regs apply but with lower caps for those conferences or teams that don't want to play in the big boy pool.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Do what business increasingly do in our free market. Make players sign non-compete clauses that force them sit out a year before being allowed to play D-1 football again. Freedom.

dogeater

Jan 24, 2020
non-competes are banned in 4 or 5 states and trend towards banning same is expected to spread....so NCAs cannot be a national solution. parenthetically, the FTC proposed a nationwide ban on NCAs earlier this year. to be enforceable NCAs must be both time and geographically restricted, the restrictions must be confined to the business's legitimate interests taking into consideration the nature and scope of the business, etc., so even where legal NCAs would have very limited application.

Last edited:

dogeater

Jan 24, 2020
after thinking about this iNCA issue a bit more i am not aware of any state (most schools in SEC and Big 10 are public universities) use of NCAs and not sure a state government would adopt same--if a group of universities adopted NCA's pursuant to a plan that would most likely be viewed as anti-competitive conduct and overturned by the courts with damages to any affected players.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
If schools are actually controlling the NIL money, then just make them employees and be done with it. It is the NCAA rules that are preventing that. This way the money comes from the pool of money they are generating and not a bunch of boosters. They then get paid for the extra games they play by having playoff shares.

If they don't control it, then none of those things are possible. It ain't their money to cap or kick back or any thing else.

Reactions: HRMSU

patdog

May 28, 2007
Do what business increasingly do in our free market. Make players sign non-compete clauses that force them sit out a year before being allowed to play D-1 football again. Freedom.
Those are difficult to enforce. Legalize multi-year contracts & implement a transfer fee system for transfers of players under contract would go a long way to fixing the problems.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
Those are difficult to enforce. Legalize multi-year contracts & implement a transfer fee system for transfers of players under contract would go a long way to fixing the problems.
I think I suggested that last week.

dogeater

Jan 24, 2020
I don't see how multi year contracts or transfer fees solves anything....top players will make their own terms and transfer fees will not be included in their agreements.....again restrictions of this type agreed upon and adopted by a group of schools are clearly intended to financially benefit the schools at the expense of the players and are very likely be unenforceable as anti-competetive. this is precisely why you need a waiver as discussed above.

RotorHead

Mar 26, 2019
My solution: If State fans forego Christmas gifts for one year, we win the natty 😂

This is just stoopid. I’m all about some college sports…but also a fan of common sense. Of which, this gentleman (nor his family) has ANY.

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010
My suggestion is that any player who receives one penny or more of NIL money should know every word to our fight song and must speak at every rubber chicken booster club meeting. Cigar smoking is optional.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
Y’all seem to think the NCAA is interested in something besides what’s best for the 6-10 richest schools. The NIL and transfer portal are working exactly as designed.

Reactions: bulldoghair

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
The transfer portal is the biggest problem. NIL has essentially always gone on, albeit under the table. What you have now is players with no contracts able to move at will with no penalty for them or the school they go to, or compensation for the school they leave. If they want to be pros then treat them like pros, put them on CONTRACTS. If Bama wants our QB, they have to pay for his contract.
Just like any other student. I understand the issue for college football not being able to build a roster, but you are suggesting one student should be able to go to whichever school they want and the football player shouldn't. That is the issue at hand here.

Any student can make money anyway they legally can.
Any student can transfer to any school at any time. Players shouldn't have less rights than any other student.

Reactions: Bulldog Bruce

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Just like any other student. I understand the issue for college football not being able to build a roster, but you are suggesting one student should be able to go to whichever school they want and the football player shouldn't. That is the issue at hand here.

Any student can make money anyway they legally can.
Any student can transfer to any school at any time. Players shouldn't have less rights than any other student.
If they are getting paid to play sports they need to be on contract, just like every other professional team sport. What we have now is killing the sport. not even big time soccer has what we have in college sports now, and it's the only real capitalist system left in sports.

Reactions: patdog

dogeater

Jan 24, 2020
If they are getting paid to play sports they need to be on contract, just like every other professional team sport. What we have now is killing the sport. not even big time soccer has what we have in college sports now, and it's the only real capitalist system left in sports.
my understanding is that all NIL agreements are in writing and executed by the parties....

Raiderdawg

Sep 28, 2022
This.

I had a lawyer friend say tell me similar things when the portal / NIL started.

His explanation was: the portal will exist as long as the NCAA calls players student athletes and not employees. The NCAA will lose in court if they try to restrict a non-employee’s movement that prevents for NIL and financial opportunities. Unless players are employees (the NCAA/schools will not go there), then the portal will continue to exist as is unless the NCAA can get a waiver like you mention.

I don’t know if this is accurate, but it makes sense to me based on what we are seeing.

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022
This.

His explanation was: the portal will exist as long as the NCAA calls players student athletes and not employees. The NCAA will lose in court if they try to restrict a non-employee’s movement that prevents for NIL and financial opportunities. Unless players are employees (the NCAA/schools will not go there), then the portal will continue to exist as is unless the NCAA can get a waiver like you mention.

I don’t know if this is accurate, but it makes sense to me based on what we are seeing.
Makes sense to me. Just like what others have said I think the biggest issue and easiest thing to fix is the transfer portal.

Nobody is going to pay $1.2M for a QB transfer that has to sit out a year. Players would not want to transfer as much. So give them freedom to transfer and get nil but restrict eligibility for a year barring a few noted exceptions. Doesn't fix the high school recruitment but that was being done anyway and you can only do so much of that from a roster perspective.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
my understanding is that all NIL agreements are in writing and executed by the parties....
That is not the same thing as a contract to play. That is the solution. If they want to be pros then make them pros.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
This.

It looks to me that that is exactly where we are.

dogeater

Jan 24, 2020
My last word on this: the only viable solution appears to be an anti-trust waiver.
No other remedy addresses the universities two major concerns--a lid on costs, regulating transfer rules.
Would require oversight structure, 5-10 years of post play health insurance, base salary for all atheletes on non-discriminatory basis, etc.,
This can be achieved and i expect an anti-trust waiver will be the default solution.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Tell schools, you can't be involved with NIL in any shape form or fashion. If you or any of your boosters are caught using NIL for signatures or transfers.....mandatory 1 year probation; no tv, no tv revenue, No bowl, reduced scholarships of 50%. 2nd offense: 1 year death penalty.
Yep. This is about all there is. The schools give out scholarships, so unless the schools themselves decide to go the 'players are employees' route, they'll never be forced to do so. You don't have to go to college to play football. NIL and portal is nothing more than giving in to pressure, and it's likely not going backwards.

You just have to get a hold on these collectives, that are pay to play, somehow. I don't know how you do it, because I don't think you should restrict a booster from paying a player if the booster owns a business. Maybe you just make it to where the deals must prove that there is work/advertising/etc. involved, rather than just straight exchange of cash. NCAA really needs to get after that. There should be nothing out there that ties an athlete to a school through NIL.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login