My son said to me this morning.....

patdog

May 28, 2007
What happened to the PAC 12 is bullsh**. Inexcusable lack of leadership. Not one single school will be getting more media money than they could have had a year ago, and many will be making much less, and/or looking at ridiculous travel schedules.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
What happened to the PAC 12 is bullsh**. Inexcusable lack of leadership. Not one single school will be getting more media money than they could have had a year ago, and many will be making much less, and/or looking at ridiculous travel schedules.
Their last two commissioners and their university presidents totally mismanaged the entire situation starting with the PAC 12 Network. They also placed WAY too much stock in what one particular economics professor, I THINK he was from Stanford, was saying about what their TV package should be worth. I think they thought it should be close to what the BIG 10 and the SEC were getting. The thing that they failed to take into account is it really DOES mean more here. The PAC had some good football, but overall, not many out there cared. That included most of their university presidents. That the exodus originated with USC is no coincidence. It's sad turn of affairs. College football has always really been a regional sport. It's even more so now. I think that is going to hurt in the long run.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Their last two commissioners and their university presidents totally mismanaged the entire situation starting with the PAC 12 Network. They also placed WAY too much stock in what one particular economics professor, I THINK he was from Stanford, was saying about what their TV package should be worth. I think they thought it should be close to what the BIG 10 and the SEC were getting. The thing that they failed to take into account is it really DOES mean more here. The PAC had some good football, but overall, not many out there cared. That included most of their university presidents. That the exodus originated with USC is no coincidence. It's sad turn of affairs. College football has always really been a regional sport. It's even more so now. I think that is going to hurt in the long run.
Rumor is it was an Arizona St. economics professor and president pushing so hard for a $50M PAC-12 deal. Knowing what we know now, I don't blame USC and UCLA for bailing out when they did. Or Colorado, Oregon or Washington.

Reactions: L4Dawg

MSUDOG24

Mar 31, 2021
This could be our last opportunity to see a current PAC 12 team played in person. Definitely the last time to see one in Starkville. I have not really thought about. We get Arizona St next two seasons, but they will be Big 12. Glad we are going.
Interesting thought and seems we have lost any "weather advantage" if we thought there might be such. It is absolutely spectacular in Starkville and appears so through the weekend. Shaping up to be a perfect football day for the fan experience. Glad you are coming and hope many more do as well.

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
It’s all been very interesting to follow. Based on my limited experience west coast fans are polar opposite of rabid SEC fans. A number of years ago my wife had to make a business trip to L.A. so we timed it when USC was playing a late season home game in the coliseum. We got tickets and both teams were highly ranked. It was a sell out and supposedly a really big time game. When the game kicked off the place was less then half full. The crowd slowly continued to arrive and by half time it was finally full. People were working on their tan, reading magazines ( before everyone had cellphones) and casually chatting. They sold wine in the concession stands, both red and white. It was a good tight game that USC won with a late touchdown but by late in the third quarter fans had started drifting toward the exits and by the time it was over it was back to half full again. I don’t remember the year but it was sometime in the 1980’s. The band was good and the dude on the white horse was kind of cool. Cheerleaders were as advertised. Like I said this is based on a sample size of one, but if this is the way it is, they don’t deserve to even have a team. Very disappointing experience compared to SEC.

rynodawg

May 29, 2007
It’s all been very interesting to follow. Based on my limited experience west coast fans are polar opposite of rabid SEC fans. A number of years ago my wife had to make a business trip to L.A. so we timed it when USC was playing a late season home game in the coliseum. We got tickets and both teams were highly ranked. It was a sell out and supposedly a really big time game. When the game kicked off the place was less then half full. The crowd slowly continued to arrive and by half time it was finally full. People were working on their tan, reading magazines ( before everyone had cellphones) and casually chatting. They sold wine in the concession stands, both red and white. It was a good tight game that USC won with a late touchdown but by late in the third quarter fans had started drifting toward the exits and by the time it was over it was back to half full again. I don’t remember the year but it was sometime in the 1980’s. The band was good and the dude on the white horse was kind of cool. Cheerleaders were as advertised. Like I said this is based on a sample size of one, but if this is the way it is, they don’t deserve to even have a team. Very disappointing experience compared to SEC.
Worked in Los Angeles for awhile. The co-workers I had that loved sports just didn’t care the slightest bit about college sports, and a couple attended UCLA. They were all about the Dodgers and NFL.

drexeldog23

Dec 2, 2022
might sound ridiculous but you could add the beach and surfing as competition for college football in L.A too. i read an on line article several years ago about one particular beautiful September weekend when USC was playing another Pac school and the attendance was like 35,000. when the writer asked where everyone was, the answers he kept getting were "at the beach" or "surfing".

Willow Grove Dawg

Nov 3, 2016
This sounds like my description of 5-6 trips to Dodger stadium over the last 25-30 years.

Reactions: Pilgrimdawg

Chesusdog

May 2, 2006

When the Big 12 got raided a while back I thought that conference was headed towards extinction. Kudos to their leadership for rebounding. The Pac leadership should be ashamed for what they've allowed to happen.

patdog

May 28, 2007
When the Big 12 got raided a while back I thought that conference was headed towards extinction. Kudos to their leadership for rebounding. The Pac leadership should be ashamed for what they've allowed to happen.
Big 12 had good leadership but also got lucky. If PAC12 had taken the ESPN deal, Big 12 probably doesn’t get the ESPN portion of their tv deal & doesn’t get the 4 PAC12 schools.

Reactions: Dawgpile

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Big 12 had good leadership but also got lucky. If PAC12 had taken the ESPN deal, Big 12 probably doesn’t get the ESPN portion of their tv deal & doesn’t get the 4 PAC12 schools.
If I am being honest, I have to admit that the Pac-12 had grown incredibly stale. I guess it was a mix of their main draw USC not being relevant, plus the bad time slots they get, relative to the rest of the football-watching country. So maybe this will be a good thing that preserves football on the Left Coast for a while, now that they get to mix it up in other time zones.

Just trying to be positive about it all. I really hope the Big 12 ends up dropping the East Coast teams and preserving some type of western/mountain area influence, besides the B1G in the big brand areas.

Stanford and Cal are the ones that just make no sense at all. Just join the Big 12, elitist pricks.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
The ironic thing is the PAC 12 is having arguably its best season ever on its way out the door. They currently have 5 of the Top 16 in the AP Poll, which is more than the SEC. And objectively maybe the most fascinating and talked about team in the country this year with Colorado.

Reactions: T-TownDawgg

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
The ironic thing is the PAC 12 is having arguably its best season ever on its way out the door. They currently have 5 of the Top 16 in the AP Poll, which is more than the SEC. And objectively maybe the most fascinating and talked about team in the country this year with Colorado.

13-0 right now.

But, like last year, I have a feeling they are overvalued in the voting polls. USC in the playoffs last year would have been a joke. Thanks to Utah for fixing that.

BingleCocktail

May 25, 2014
THE NCAA SEZ “HEY”

PBDog

Oct 1, 2021
it’s more about the bug 10 trying to remain relevant- reading they have been orchestrating this p12 collapse for a few years.

BoDawg.sixpack

Feb 5, 2010
It felt like peak Pac 12 was when Pete Carroll, Reggie Bush and Matt Leinart were making the headlines. Chip Kelly extended my interest in Oregon football somewhat, and Leach at WSU. But the conference's popularity amongst SEC fans just never seemed the same after Pete Carroll left Southern Cal.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login