My wish for the new AD first directive...

YesIAmAPirate

Oct 3, 2022
Does the AD even have any pull on when it is played or is it basically Disney/ESPN telling when it will be?

MStateU

Nov 15, 2009
I like it on Thanksgiving. Home years I get to eat lunch with the fam with no expectation of hanging around all afternoon. Away years we all hang out together and watch game with our weekend being free.

I do understand it is a problem for people that live further away though. My group is only 1.5 hours away.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
It was fine in 2001 when the NFL wasn’t airing a game at the same time. Now there’s not nearly the extra publicity.

Move it back to Saturday. Heck I would even settle for a Friday night Egg Bowl akin to what Florida and FSU are doing this year. We did play it on Friday in 2007 and 2008 but it was an early kick, that wasn’t much better than Thanksgiving night.

Reactions: patdog and rynodawg

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
Get Bracky to give you a list of everything that was against the rules 3 years ago, and do those things.

Pars

Oct 11, 2015
agreed on killing the gameday vibe. I don’t like to rush through thanksgiving to get to the game. Let me enjoy my fatness gluttony

Reactions: Leeshouldveflanked

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
The biggest issue that I have with it being on Thanksgiving, is that it completely kills the gameday atmosphere and in game atmosphere. What should be heated and intense environment, is just killed.
Did you go to a game between 97-99. During those years the stadium and tailgating was electric.

The same things that keep people from going to regular games are probably compounded for Thanksgiving games. So I get why people want to move away from Thursday. I think Friday is the worst idea. Not everyone has the Friday after Thanksgiving off.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
No Thanksgiving Egg Bowls.

Thank you.

#RehashArgument
Agreed… it’s not as bad when the egg bowl is at ole miss but sucks when it’s in Starkville and I gotta abandon thanksgiving plans to go to Starkville

rynodawg

May 29, 2007

Thank you.

#RehashArgument
Would not mind it moving. I suppose it’s OK for those who have families full of MSU fans. My extended family has zero interest, I’d rather just enjoy the holiday and worry about the egg bowl a different day.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
Tell Leach we're gonna do better on our end with NIL now you have to make sure Egg Bowl Winning % > 50% Going Forward.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007

Thank you.

#RehashArgument
+1

There is a reason the Egg Bowl is on Thanksgiving and not the Iron Bowl....it ruins the all-around relaxed vibe of thanksgiving, is a pain in the *** logistically, and all around just sucks for both MSU and OM fans. If it were a net positive, the matchup wouldn't be MSU vs OM. We are just being used as the suckers to fill a spot nobody else really gets fired up to fill.

Don't get me wrong - I'm all about lazy time Thanksgiving evening football watching, but I want it relaxed. Don't make me work for it or get emotionally invested in that time slot.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I love it being on Thanksgiving when its in Starkville, gives me an excuse to get away from the relatives that I don't much care to be around in the first place. As for games in Oxford, I went to one football game there 48 years ago (KY vs Rebels) and haven't and won't go back ever again

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
The biggest issue that I have with it being on Thanksgiving, is that it completely kills the gameday atmosphere and in game atmosphere. What should be heated and intense environment, is just killed.
There have been some pretty good thursday night game atmospheres. There have been some pretty dead Saturday after Thanksgiving ones. I think the basic answer is be good and your atmosphere will be good, be bad and you are going to have to work to get a good atmosphere.

But currently, I'm on the fence about whether Saturday after thanksgiving or Thanksgiving night is worse. Ticketed attendance is suffering because of more competition, and I think Thursday has the benefit of not having the "competition" increased. It's the same challenges regarding family and thanksgiving. ON the other hand, whatever else is competing for fans time to attend games, I think most of it is decreased on the weekend of thanksgiving, primarily talking about travel sports. But whatever it is, I think that's a pretty dead weekend so you just have to worry about hunting, travel (which may be increased), and the normal competition of sitting at home watching all the games in a comfortable, easy atmosphere.

My bet is Saturday is better for attendance and atmosphere, but I don't know.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Off the wall question. Do Starkville hotels require 2 nights for Thanksgiving Egg Bowls? I seem to recall they didn’t. If that’s the case that is a possible $300 savings for people that would travel to the game.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
Agreed… it’s not as bad when the egg bowl is at ole miss but sucks when it’s in Starkville and I gotta abandon thanksgiving plans to go to Starkville
This is me to a tee. I am not thrilled with leaving family on Thanksgiving to drive to Starkville but do enjoy watching the game in Oxford on TV with said family.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
Leach doesn't have anything to do with NIL. He had to be forced to even mention it.
My mistake; didn't mean to insinuate he did; just the new AD will provide better crootin' for Leach via NIL and Leach in turn reciprocate by winning Egg Bowls.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login