Napier firing imminent?

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011
If we were somehow able to beat Florida next week, or maybe even play a close game, Napier might be left in Starkville to find his own way home. We have been responsible for other schools firing their head coaches than any other, or at least it seems that way. Losing to MSU must be a huge embarrassment and can be the death knell.

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Boosters are probably convinced Napier will win one against us after seeing our game last night and it would prolong them getting rid of him till the next loss

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
Must be nice to be as rich as a booster who can throw cash away like that without having a wife who asks what he plans to spend on her.
Oh, I have little doubt they have one of those too. It’s just their wives expect a slight bit more than mine gets.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Its the famous Jeremy Foley quote….”What must be done eventually should be done immediately”

They have to fire him tomorrow. Because if they don’t, they have to wait at least 2 more weeks to do it.

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
To raise that 26 million a Florida alumnus probably sold just one of his properties in Key Largo.
And to figure out which one to sell he looked through his portfolio and determined which one he hadn’t cared to visit in the longest.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
They still owe Don Merlinz $3 million more payable $1 mil every July 1 through '27 so just chicken scratch as buyouts go. His was only $12 million to begin with which he got $6m at firing and $1m every year since till 27

Captain Ron

Aug 22, 2012
And to go back and look at how many of our fans wanted to fire Mullen at various times over his tenure at State. I felt like at least in my lifetime, his tenure was the good old days (no offense to JWS or Emory for 1 year) . Certainly UF has had more success over the years, but they are also learning about the color of the grass on yon hill.

Howiefeltersnstch

Dec 28, 2019
Next week it will be DJ Ratway carving us up. Edited to add I have copyrights on Ratway and Sh*t Showtime. I expect royalties for any use

• Haha
Reactions: Maroon13

patdog

May 28, 2007
Its the famous Jeremy Foley quote….”What must be done eventually should be done immediately”

They have to fire him tomorrow. Because if they don’t, they have to wait at least 2 more weeks to do it.
This is a great quote. That is how you run an athletic dept or any business. And applies to us as well. I don’t care how many coaches we’ve run through in the last 8 years, if we have the wrong coach in place (and I’m not saying we do just yet but the 1st 3 games have been worse than I could have imagined), the longer we delay the worse it will get.

Last edited:
Reactions: tbaydog

patdog

May 28, 2007
And to go back and look at how many of our fans wanted to fire Mullen at various times over his tenure at State. I felt like at least in my lifetime, his tenure was the good old days (no offense to JWS or Emory for 1 year) . Certainly UF has had more success over the years, but they are also learning about the color of the grass on yon hill.
The Mullen years were the glory years for Mississippi State football. At least since Allyn McKeen.

Crazy Cotton

Aug 26, 2012
I'm really curious why these contracts don't have a performance clause that allows a school to rid itself of a coach who sucks without having to pay insane amounts of money. My understanding is most of the contracts include a bonus structure for winning conference or national championships, why not a clause that if you're below .500 for a season you can get canned without the golden parachute.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login