Nappi had 11 RBI's????

Hanmudog

Apr 30, 2006
This may have been covered but I just saw where Nappi hit 3 home runs and drove in 11 against UAB. Wow, a bright spot with MSU baseball.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
and it sparked a conversation about whether people should be redshirted or not. I commented to rebelbruiser that coaches will always think guys like Nappi and Turner are that good as RS Frosh b/c they redshirted. Ironically, Murray has already posted that Raffo said that Turner and Nappi arrived with major swing flaws which were corrected during their RS year.

Murray also made some rather ridiculous statements about why Flagg shouldn't play over Moore---another topic covered yesterday.

Hanmudog

Apr 30, 2006
Just looking for something to get me excited about our baseball team. Hopefully they can be a baseball version of our basketball team and turn things around in a big way but I don't have a very good feeling about it.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
If that guy didn't throw the wild pitch with the bases loaded in the UNLV game he would have just tied me.

I am sad for me. Happy for him.

saddawg

Jun 25, 2006
I said the other day that when a player breaks yours and Raffy's records they have done something. He has shown some pop but he was damn sure in the zone the other night. Like to hear your take on what's going on with the baseball team.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
My years there were 2 CWS appearances and 2 years of not so well. I say that because it is not all about the talent sometimes. 55 games is actually a pretty short schedule. The team has to gel and ride momentum. Sometime that ride is bumpy. So it is not time to panic.

I have not seen this team play other than a few innings on MAX the other day. I do think Conner Powers is the real deal. I know people get on him about his defense, but he is a hitter after my own heart. The only thing I would like to see is for him to work on committing a little later. With all his movement, he commits to a pitch a little earlier than he needs to.

I am anxious to see Nappi. He is definitely in a good zone right now and I hope he can sustain it.

Overall, I have been saying for awhile, that there are some hitters on the team that need to be more aggressive at the plate. It seems the general philosophy is to be patient and work the count. Wait for a pitch that the hitter can handle best. That is a valid and probably preferable way to approach hitting. This is like an Albert Pujols. However, there are hitters that will not perform their best with that style. They need to be prepared to swing on every pitch and make a determination not to swing. A guy like Vlad Guerrero is that type of hitter. I just have seen too many taken strikes for my taste, especially in certain situations.

I hate all pitchers so I do not have much to say about them. Just stop being ***** type pitchers. Always challenge the hitters, don't pitch scared.

Todd4State

Mar 3, 2008
works for Pujols because when he gets that one good pitch to hit per at bat he attacks it. Problem is often times our guys take that one good pitch.

It also works because he is Albert Pujols.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
that Moore needed to play b/c he was the future. It was then pointed out to him that both Moore and Flagg were juniors.

He then responded that Flagg has had three years to win a job and that he hasn't done it. That of course is ridiculous b/c a) he only got 11 ABs in 06, b) he did win a spot last year and got hurt and c) can't win the job this year b/c Polk would rather play someone who has played nearly 20 games and hit .246.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
that Pigott is out 2-4 weeks. Weatherford not pitching this weekend and out indefinitely.

And apparently Lee Swindle has elbow tenderness also.

Feb 23, 2008
When he was on his own, I always thought he was a good journalist with good knowledge of sports. Now, I just think he's a good journalist and that's about it. Swan Lake has pretty much wiped away anything he knew about sports. I used to love reading his witty but mostly accurate Dawg's Bite in the old days. Now, I've begun taking his thoughts with a grain of salt since his thoughts now have to travel through the Bryan building before reaching print.
As for Flagg, first off Moore hasn't exactly set the world on fire. I've seen him wiff at more than 1 low throw to first this year. Flagg can't be any worse defensively based on what I've seen on M2M out of Moore. Either way, why not put Flagg in Right? Rice has had 3 years to live up to the Juco hype and hasn't. Bottom line is Flagg needs to be in the lineup somewhere. It may be different if Moore was a Lefty but they are both Right handed hitters so that's a moot point. I don't know, maybe Flagg doesn't take enough pitches and work the pitch count to suit Raffo.</p>

olddawgfan

Nov 20, 2007
in two 7 inning JUCO games. The team they were playing sucked, well, at least the pitching did.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login