Nate Oats style........

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I've seen in-depth articles on this, but I don't desire to get into the weeds. Is there a cliff notes version of why he is so 'unique'? I don't know much about basketball so spare me the I'm an idiot stuff, and the board seems to have a lot of basketball knowledge whether college or NBA. That said, seems like it breaks down like this:

- Play crazy defense, try and get transition points;
- Pass the ball all around the floor, with basically 5 guys on the perimeter;
- Find an easy layup off the dribble drive or somebody getting open, or bomb a 3.

My questions are, what type players do this best? Is it 5 guards? No center? 3 G, 2 F? 4 Gs, 1 F? Do you need tall guards? Nowadays, I mean the 6'8" guys can bomb the 3s too.

And relentless defense, well, that seems to be more of a culture thing than an X/O thing, as most things are.

What separates him from Calipari? Seems like the overwhelming opinion on him is dribble drive all night long, not much fundamental coaching. But I don't know for sure.

Is this like the next version of 40 Minutes of Hell, except with analytics that tell you to bomb 3s and hit layups?

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Their defense hasn't really been good this year. I think they got a great tourney draw. Chester The Molester in the post was a big portal get.

Reactions: onewoof

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
You have to have a guy that can get in the lane like Sears. Then just stretch posts. Which nowadays should just be called guards. He just uses the NBA model. 3s or dunks. They weren’t very good on defense this year. But I don’t know how you figure out who will be able to shoot 3s at the college level from high school.

Reactions: OG Goat Holder

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
They basically play “5 out” with big men who can play on the perimeter just as well as the guards. It allows for a lot of dribble driving with kick out threes when teams collapse on the drives to the basket.

Reactions: OG Goat Holder

3-2 Dawg

Jun 6, 2023
Simple. Find a 6’11” guy who can shoot the 3, take you off the drive, defend the perimeter and play down low

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Long athletic people that can shoot.

big wings. Guys that can play the 2-3-4 or 3-4-5
Reading all this, you'd almost think that a guy like Josh Hubbard wouldn't have a spot. But I guess if you can play, you can play.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Reading all this, you'd almost think that a guy like Josh Hubbard wouldn't have a spot. But I guess if you can play, you can play.
He wouldnt be a star. Again there is a reason why the blue bloods didn’t recruit him. You don’t see 5-10 guards that are one dimensional playing at Alabama. Sears is short, but he’s a much better player than Hubbard.

Bama’s roster is littered with 6-4 6-6 that can shoot and defend and play multiple spots, and currently 3-4 shoot the 3 better.

Alabama actually has one of the better guard recruits in the country. That hit 6-7 3s in a game when people were hurt, that can’t get into the game because all he can do is shoot.

msudawg12

Dec 9, 2008
His style was promoting a jackass beating a hardhat on our hardwood floor, the entire game until the refs finally made that son of a ***** stop with three minutes left in the second half
17 that piece of ****

Reactions: BirdPuppy

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
He wouldnt be a star. Again there is a reason why the blue bloods didn’t recruit him. You don’t see 5-10 guards that are one dimensional playing at Alabama. Sears is short, but he’s a much better player than Hubbard.

Bama’s roster is littered with 6-4 6-6 that can shoot and defend and play multiple spots, and currently 3-4 shoot the 3 better.

Alabama actually has one of the better guard recruits in the country. That hit 6-7 3s in a game when people were hurt, that can’t get into the game because all he can do is shoot.
Mark Sears wasn’t recruited by blue bloods South Alabama and Ohio Bobcats and UAB were his only offers, in fact he was ranked quite a bit lower than Hubbard coming out of high school , Hubbard was offered by Georgetown, LSU and Texas. Sears is a senior, Hubbard is a freshman. I think Hubbard will be just as good if not better.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Mark Sears wasn’t recruited by blue bloods South Alabama and Ohio Bobcats and UAB were his only offers, in fact he was ranked quite a bit lower than Hubbard coming out of high school , Hubbard was offered by Georgetown, LSU and Texas. Sears is a senior, Hubbard is a freshman. I think Hubbard will be just as good if not better.
I’ll take that bet. Sears is a consensus 2nd team all American. Don’t think Hubbard ever reaches those heights

name your price.

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
I’ll take that bet. Sears is a consensus 2nd team all American. Don’t think Hubbard ever reaches those heights

name your price.

So far Hubbard is having the better career, was ranked higher and had better offers at similar stages. Hubbard is 2nd team all sec as a freshman. Sears as a freshman averaged 8 ppg and was not all conference in the MAC.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
So far Hubbard is having the better career, was ranked higher and had better offers at similar stages. Hubbard is 2nd team all sec as a freshman. Sears as a freshman averaged 8 ppg and was not all conference in the MAC.
Again name your price. Sears is a consensus 2nd team all American. I don’t see Hubbards game ever getting to that of sears. I don’t think Hubbard will ever be a 2nd team all American.

if you think otherwise. Name your price. I’m willing to bet on it

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
Again name your price. Sears is a consensus 2nd team all American. I don’t see Hubbards game ever getting to that of sears. I don’t think Hubbard will ever be a 2nd team all American.

if you think otherwise. Name your price. I’m willing to bet on it
Hubbard averages 17 ppg as a freshman, Sears 21 as a senior. Hubbard second team all sec as a freshman, Sears first as a senior but was second team as a junior. any P5 first team all conference PG will get consideration for second team all American. so will Hubbard achieve first team sec as a soph or junior, probably. Will he be a second team all American before he finishes as a senior, probably.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Hubbard averages 17 ppg as a freshman, Sears 21 as a senior. Hubbard second team all sec as a freshman, Sears first as a senior but was second team as a junior. any P5 first team all conference PG will get consideration for second team all American. so will Hubbard achieve first team sec as a soph or junior, probably. Will he be a second team all American before he finishes as a senior, probably.
Again. I’ll bet any amount you’re comfortable with. Hubbard will never reach sears level as a collegiate player. Consensus 2nd team all American.

Spout all the stats you want at me. Sears is a complete player that can dominate a game… I don’t see Hubbard ever reaching that level nor being a consensus 2nd team all American.

My money is where my mouth is… let me know if your willing to put yours there

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
Again. I’ll bet any amount you’re comfortable with. Hubbard will never reach sears level as a collegiate player. Consensus 2nd team all American.

Spout all the stats you want at me. Sears is a complete player that can dominate a game… I don’t see Hubbard ever reaching that level nor being a consensus 2nd team all American.

My money is where my mouth is… let me know if your willing to put yours there
Your only reasoning or logic appears to be “bet me, bet me”, how can you say statistics don’t matter ? All the facts show Hubbard is ahead of where Sears was was a soph and Hubbard is only a freshman. with the early departures to the NBA it’s almost a certainty Hubbard is first team all sec in the next two years.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
All Hubbard can do is score. That’s literally it. That’s all. And he can only do that taking a large volume of shots.

sears is a better ball handler, defender, rebounder, passer, percentage scorer, better shooter at all levels. Can get into the lane and finish. He’s doing it at levels right now that Hubbard will never get to IMO

you point to one scoring stat and say Hubbard is ahead of sears. Much more to the game than just scoring. And sears game is light years ahead of Hubbards in all those other categories

sears isn’t a second team all American because he scores. Plenty of guards can do that. He’s a consensus all American because of all the things I mentioned above and all those things Hubbard is below average to plain bad at, at this point in his career. Also the fact that sears is the straw that stirs in the drink on one of the best teams in the country is a rather big feather one can’t ignore… and something else Hubbard will have to prove he can do to reach that level

my bet is simple. Hubbard won’t be a 2nd team all American at any point in his career. And I’m willing to bet as much money as you want on it. If you feel like he will be… why won’t you bet?

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
All Hubbard can do is score. That’s literally it. That’s all. And he can only do that taking a large volume of shots.

sears is a better ball handler, defender, rebounder, passer, percentage scorer, better shooter at all levels. Can get into the lane and finish. He’s doing it at levels right now that Hubbard will never get to IMO

you point to one scoring stat and say Hubbard is ahead of sears. Much more to the game than just scoring. And sears game is light years ahead of Hubbards in all those other categories

sears isn’t a second team all American because he scores. Plenty of guards can do that. He’s a consensus all American because of all the things I mentioned above and all those things Hubbard is below average to plain bad at, at this point in his career. Also the fact that sears is the straw that stirs in the drink on one of the best teams in the country is a rather big feather one can’t ignore… and something else Hubbard will have to prove he can do to reach that level

my bet is simple. Hubbard won’t be a 2nd team all American at any point in his career. And I’m willing to bet as much money as you want on it. If you feel like he will be… why won’t you bet?
None of those things were true when Sears was a freshman or even a sophomore. Hubbard is a better player at similar points in their careers, period.

you are comparing a freshman and a senior and trying to predict the future. That’s not grounded on good reasoning or logic when Hubbard is a better player than Sears was as a freshman or sophomore.

Reactions: RopeDawg

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
None of those things were true when Sears was a freshman or even a sophomore. Hubbard is a better player at similar points in their careers, period.

you are comparing a freshman and a senior and trying to predict the future. That’s not grounded on good reasoning or logic when Hubbard is a better player than Sears was as a freshman or sophomore.
Did you see sears play as a freshman or are you just looking at stats? Even as a freshman sears averaged more rebounds steals and assists than Hubbard, also shot better from the field. In other words he was a better all around guard

Regardless bet is on the table. I’ve watched basketball enough to know that 1 trick ponies don’t end up being all Americans snd right now that’s all Hubbard is and I don’t think he’s still set will allow him to be much more than that.

you’ve pointed out scoring and nothing more. More to being an all American than that

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
LOL, Sears averaged 8ppg at Ohio in the MAC, now you are just making ridiculous claims. I’m sure Hubbard would have been first team all MAC as a freshman, Sears wasn’t named to anything, how much film do you need to see.
Sears is not a great defensive player, Alabama is one of the worst defensive teams in the country.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
LOL, Sears averaged 8ppg at Ohio in the MAC, now you are just making ridiculous claims. I’m sure Hubbard would have been first team all MAC as a freshman, Sears wasn’t named to anything, how much film do you need to see.
Sears is not a great defensive player, Alabama is one of the worst defensive teams in the country.
It was a simple question. Did you see sears play or not?

never said sears was great defensive player. Said he was better than Hubbard thought about being… which he is… but he did average more board steals and assists than Hubbard did. Why? Because even then, he was a more all around guard

also being 1st team sec doesn’t mean your even close to being an all American. Tolu was first team all sec but probably didn’t get one vote for all American status.

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
Let me go dig up some Ohio Bobcat film from five years ago to see some freshman who averaged 8ppg in the MAC be right back.

meanwhile you can study film of Hubbard averaging 17ppg as a freshman in the sec.

Good argument

Reactions: preacher_dawg

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Let me go dig up some Ohio Bobcat film from five years ago to see some freshman who averaged 8ppg in the MAC be right back.

meanwhile you can study film of Hubbard averaging 17ppg as a freshman in the sec.

Good argument
Take the bet then… it’s really simple. If you’re right and I’m wrong. Take the bet and take my money

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Take the bet then… it’s really simple. If you’re right and I’m wrong. Take the bet and take my money
This is such a crazy argument and bet you are pushing.
I mean, if you end up being right...did you really win?

Also, if Hubbard leaves after next year and turns pro, whether drafted or not, do you win or is the bet a wash?

Anyways, this is a really odd thing to confidently flex over.

Baddog11

Aug 28, 2013
He uses “analytics” which is really just artificial intelligence which runs the numbers and tells him what to do for optimal results.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Everyone here knows your opinion on Hubbard that you’re desperately praying every night will come to fruition.

Just shut up and move on. No one cares about taking some bet.

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
This is such a crazy argument and bet you are pushing.
I mean, if you end up being right...did you really win?

Also, if Hubbard leaves after next year and turns pro, whether drafted or not, do you win or is the bet a wash?

Anyways, this is a really odd thing to confidently flex over.
Easy. He wins if Hubbard ends up being "worse" than sears because he's not a State fan.

You and I disagree about many things, I'm sure, but in the end I never question that you're a fan and want MSU to win. This guy's only job is to be negative about State in every discussion. He's too obvious with it.

Reactions: yakalot2

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Easy. He wins if Hubbard ends up being "worse" than sears because he's not a State fan.

You and I disagree about many things, I'm sure, but in the end I never question that you're a fan and want MSU to win. This guy's only job is to be negative about State in every discussion. He's too obvious with it.
Not really. Im just a realist. I enjoy watching games, always have. Grew up a memphis state fan. If you remember the memphis state days.

I do pull for State. I attend a lot of games. I watch when I can on TV. But just because I go and I'm a fan doesnt change what I believe.

If you've watched the tournament, as I have, all the teams, not just State. And you've seen what Sears has done. Hubbard would have to be worlds better to get to that level. Maybe he'll get there, but I dont think he has those skills. Doesnt mean I'm not a fan, or dont want us to win. Just means I can have an unbiased discussion about people on our team and people on other teams.

Old Fart Dawg

Sep 2, 2012
I saw the closeup on Sears that CBS did. Said last summer he made 15 thousand 3pt shots. That is real dedication. I think Hub is made of the same stuff and will make great progress in the next few years

BulldogBlitz

Dec 11, 2008
Holy **** why does Hubbard's biggest hater even use "dawg", it's clear he's at least a "tider"

RopeDawg

Feb 24, 2023

Is your only metric for having a better career is if one makes 2nd team all American? I would gladly bet you if we use a different metric, something not left up to a subjective award. What school you play at and who gets to watch you matters a lot when it comes to those awards. Alabama > Miss. State as far as that goes.

By the time Hubbard is a Senior he will have racked up a ton of awards and broken records scoring wise. He will definitely improve defensively and with his passing assists.

Last edited:

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Is your only metric for having a better career is if one makes 2nd team all American? I would gladly bet you if we use a different metric, something not left up to a subjective award. What school you play at and who gets to watch you matters a lot when it comes to those awards. Alabama > Miss. State as far as that goes
Name the metric. So far all Hubbard as shown is the ability to score given he can shoot a lot of shots.

His ball handling and decision making both got better as the year went on. Hopefully he’ll continue to improve on. Also hopefully we’ll have someone in the back court that can allow him to play the 2 guard and not the point.

but I’m open to any metric.

leeinator

Feb 24, 2014
Nate Oats style is simple......whether your 5'10" or 7'0"......if you can't shoot the 3-ball reliably, you ain't playing.

jdbulldog

Oct 27, 2007

Maybe he does not want to take your house.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login