NBA Finals

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Who ya got? I'm going Mavs in 7.

I'd kinda fallen off NBA watching; no particular reason, just my attention went elsewhere. I've watched a few games here and there these playoffs & it's been fun. Luka is just a blast to watch, on the offensive end at least.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
I didn’t know the NBA playoffs were still going. All I’ve heard about recently is the WNBA

DoomSlayer

Jan 13, 2018
It’s an interesting matchup. You have the Celtics who’ve been a consistently great team seemingly the last 8 years but who always seem to get upset in the Eastern Conference Playoffs quite a bit. They did make it to the finals in 2022 and got beat by the Warriors. There is a sense that this is their year and they need to get it done. Old man Al Horford from those great Florida back to back teams is still in the league and plays for Boston. They’ve had some injuries to have him play more than they would like but he can still and will hit a big shot for them. It’s fun watching the older players still out there grinding.

Then you have the Mavericks who I’m still kinda surprised they made it. But not because of a lack of elite top end talent. They have 2 of the best players in the league in Luka and Kyrie, and they absolutely can take over a game and beat anyone. Jason Kidd is their coach and does a good job. I certainly give the Mavs the edge in coaching. Still think Denver would have beat Dallas if they could have got by Minnesota.

So the Celtics have been the best team all year and this is their chance to finally get a ring. “It’s their year” is a phrase you hear a lot while Dallas has over achieved somewhat to get here. Should be an entertaining series, I’ve got Boston in 6.

Everybody likes to come in these threads and trash the NBA so I thought I would say this: The NBA playoffs are fun. I couldn’t imagine going through April and May without having the games on at night. It gives me quality entertainment every single night and when the games are on TNT you get Ernie, Kenny, Shaq and Sir Charles on the best sports show of the last 20 years. Some of you should give it a chance.

columbiadawg2

Feb 2, 2010
I think the Celtics take it in 5 or 6. They are going to be hard to beat if Porzingis is healthy. I love the NBA playoffs. Watching those guys, with that skill level, go all out on both ends is quite fun. I know a lot of people hate on the NBA and rightfully so in some instances but the playoffs are a whole different story.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Who ya got? I'm going Mavs in 7.

I'd kinda fallen off NBA watching; no particular reason, just my attention went elsewhere. I've watched a few games here and there these playoffs & it's been fun. Luka is just a blast to watch, on the offensive end at least.
There's a almost my experience with the NBA activity, exactly.

Reactions: dorndawg

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
The Celtics are 76-20 on the year. One of the best point differentials in NBA history (I think 5th all time) - the current Vegas odds have the most likely outcome at Celtics in 5. Ironically, all of the hot take NBA media is on the Mavs. It’s a combination of Luka being fun + the Celtics have won a ton the last 8 years - 4 of those have resulted in losing in the ECF, 1 loss in the finals, and 1 TBD. So I think they’ve seen them lose when everyone else is sitting at home, so there’s Tatum & Brown fatigue.

My head says Celtics in 7. My heart says Celtics in 5.

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022
Tall order for Mavs for sure!

Couple things to note is this Mavs team is a completely and I mean completely different team since the late season trade. They are now a top defensive team. Also, Mavs may have the best scoring guard duo of all time......not the two best players of all time but two best combo SCORERS. They are both closers too. I think it depends on Luka....he's going to have to play out of his mind.....Jordanesque for Mavs to have a chance for the upset.

Reactions: DoomSlayer

WrightGuy821

Mar 13, 2019
If the Celtics don't win it all this year, they're just not going to. This is their easiest path to the finals in recent history, and their weakest finals opponent in recent history. The eastern conference has just been so weak lately it's insane

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
I think it goes 7 games with the Celtics winning. The Mavs are playing really good basketball and I honestly thought they would get drubbed by Minnesota. They are playing at another level right now.

Hope this series is better than the conference championship series were.

Reactions: dorndawg

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Stats say Celtics early. But the Mavs have some really good juju with Luka and Kyrie.

American greed says the game goes all 7

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
Boston Celtics Reaction GIF by NBA

Reactions: dgsmith15

BoDawg.sixpack

Feb 5, 2010
Slightly off topic but did Ja Morant ever come back? What's his status for next season?

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Slightly off topic but did Ja Morant ever come back? What's his status for next season?
He returned and played I guess maybe 10 or 12 games and tore his labrum. That whole Grizzlies team was snake bit with injuries. I think they nearly set a record for the number of roster moves in a season due to injury.

Reactions: BoDawg.sixpack

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Rangers win the World Series
Mavs in the NBA Finals
Stars lost in the Western Conference Finals
Jerry and the Cowboys haven't made a NFC Championship game in 30 years... What a loser.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Celtics are a bad matchup for the Mavs. Rooting for Luka but I got Celtics in 5.
Celtics & Mavs have played 3 times now. 2 blowout Boston wins & 1 8 point win. So yeah, Celtics in 5 sounds about right.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Well it was a dominant first 3 games by Boston, but damn did Dallas come back hard in game 4.
38 point win, and it was a blowout from the start.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
OK I'll wear the tinfoil hat. Does anyone else ever think the finals sometimes last a game or two longer than they should have for some strange reason ?

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
Might have to use that gif. It’s perfect.

And to @jethreauxdawg comment, it’s not just NBA threads it’s pretty much anything. Let’s say someone starts a thread about….I don’t know, The Rolling Stones tour, and someone just replies “I hate The Rolling Stones”. It adds nothing to the conversation.
I don’t care about your posts taking note of people who don’t care about what’s posted.

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022
Boston is a better team but this series should be tied right now. Boston in 5 unfortunately.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
OK I'll wear the tinfoil hat. Does anyone else ever think the finals sometimes last a game or two longer than they should have for some strange reason ?
Nope.
I do see comments and questions about it, basically every year, but I don't think the refs are rigging the games or the players are all in on it.

Last night was a total beatdown. Dallas has the talent to do that, so it shouldn't be surprising.
Game 3 could have gone to Dallas, if there were some breaks that went their way and if refs had called some fouls that weren't called, and didn't call some fouls that were called. But I didn't think the game was reffed to make Boston win.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login