NBC Golf......also known as the Tiger Woods slobber-a-thon.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Tiger could be 12 shots back and its wall to wall coverage of him and they show none of the leaders. It's not fair to the other golfers.

williecunningham

Mar 3, 2008
DesotoCountyDawg said:
Tiger could be 12 shots back and its wall to wall coverage of him and they show none of the leaders. It's not fair to the other golfers.

</p>Those other golfers should count their lucky stars he's as popular as he is. They reap the benefits of the attention and money he has brought to the tour. If Tiger wasn't on the tour, the only people who would be watching would be goofy-*** golf geeks.

B

Bulldoghair

williecunningham said:
DesotoCountyDawg said:
Those other golfers should count their lucky stars he's as popular as he is. They reap the benefits of the attention and money he has brought to the tour. If Tiger wasn't on the tour, the only people who would be watching would be goofy-*** golf geeks.

i know he is a good golf player, but do u really believe that he'd get the coverage, endorsements, and media worship like he does if he wasn't black? </p>

Roy Munson.sixpack

Sep 7, 2005
but it isnt like you seem to be making it. He does get a lot more, but it is because he is the perfect storm. It is a white dominated sport and fan base. He appeals to both whites and blacks. He is looked at as "cooler" than say, david duval or whoever. IF he was white there wouldnt be near the hype and wouldnt have changed the sport because it would have still been a white guy playing a bunch of other white guys. He would have still been considered the greatest, but the hype wouldnt be worldwide.

Because he is black in this particular sport he is a companies dream. How many other black guys could be the face of Buick? 17'in buick! The same car that was given to jack cristil. He still can unload tons of merch to blacks because of nike and him being black, but he crosses over markets and has whites everywhere buying nike ****. Hell, nike makes all kinds of **** now just because tiger is with them. None of that would be the case if he wasnt black.
</p>
Basically nobody is sucking him off because he is black or giving him more attention or props because of his color, BUT his color has opened up many avenues, stories and buzz....

M

MasterDawg

Just wanted to make sure I set my clock ahead one hour and not back 40 years like others.

Roy Munson.sixpack

Sep 7, 2005
which right on cue means anything that is said about a black person is considered racist. There is NOTHING in my post that says anything about anything like that. Eminem is the phenom that he is because of his talent, but it adds to it because of him being white. Do you think if tiger was white that he would be near as popular, make as much money, have the hype or so on? Again, this isnt a race thing as in he is getting it just because of his race. He has earned everything but the phenomenon that is tiger is added to BECAUSE of his race. It makes him even that much more of a story. Same thing if a black american became the best tennis player or a white running back or wr was the best player in the nfl by far.

M

MasterDawg

in it? Is the reason why intrest is back up in Tennis because Roger Fedder (sp?) is white, or is it because he is dominating? Same thing on all his endorsements.

Roy Munson.sixpack

Sep 7, 2005
in any of my posts that it was because of race...BUT you cant deny that the phenomenon that is tiger doesnt have a bit to do with the fact that he is the best golfer and is BLACK. He is the most recognizable athlete in the world. Do you REALLY think that would be the case if he was white? Was Jack?..It has opened up many avenues, positive ones. You "its 2008 why does race have to play a part types" have to realize that it ALWAYS will, period. Even if it is a POSITIVE issue, race still comes to play. For instance, race shouldnt matter, but 90% of blacks vote for obama. Why? Because he is black. Nothing wrong with that, it is their vote, but race will always matter. Let me know when we quit checking boxes saying white nonhispanic, AFRICAN american, other and so on.

As for federer, i could hold his picture up to 100 folks on the street and tigers to 100 folks on the street and it wouldnt be close, and federer is the greatest tennis player ever, already. He has been more dominant than tiger has.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login