NCAA Coaching Contract Collective Bargaining

MittRomney

Nov 6, 2012
I was discussing with some guys and we came up with a solution to the runaway coaching salary/contract (see Fisher, Jimbo)

Every school in the NCAA sign a “collective bargaining agreement” that all coaching contracts must contain the following baseline structure:

- schools select base salary obviously.

- a disincentive equal to at least 10% (maybe 15%?) of total annual salary for each win below a school selected threshold, but at least .500 (could be 7-5, 8-4, etc). Ex. Salary of $4 million would be reduced by $400k if they go 5-7, $800k for 4-8, and so on.

- incentive for wins above the same threshold, with the same 10% rule. (Don’t want schools paying $1 for wins to inflate base salary in order to attract the next Jmbo).

- records below .500, coaches can be dismissed for cause without any buyout. First year of tenure would be exempt from this requirement. Second year needs to improve by one win above previous year. 3 consecutive seasons below threshold is grounds for dismissal for cause regardless of improvement. Schools can elect to raise this threshold to 7-5, 8-4, etc but must be at minimum .500.

- any buyouts must be based on the 10% rules above, and can only equal a maximum of the last year of salary. Ex $4 million salary fired for 8-4, buyout would be limited to $4 million + ($400k x 2) = $4.8 max. Fired for 3-9 (following a 2-10 season) buyout would be $4 million - ($400k x 3) = $2.8 million max.

Would only work if every school signed on.

Probably needs some tweaking with thresholds, %, etc, but bottom line, it would force coaches to perform or GTFO.

Selmon, lead the charge.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
I was discussing with some guys and we came up with a solution to the runaway coaching salary/contract (see Fisher, Jimbo)

Every school in the NCAA sign a “collective bargaining agreement” that all coaching contracts must contain the following baseline structure:

- a disincentive equal to at least 10% (maybe 15%?) of total annual salary for each win below a school selected threshold, but at least .500 (could be 7-5, 8-4, etc). Ex. Salary of $4 million would be reduced by $400k if they go 5-7, $800k for 4-8, and so on.

- incentive for wins above the same threshold, with the same 10% rule. (Don’t want schools paying $1 for wins to inflate base salary in order to attract the next Jmbo).

- records below .500, coaches can be dismissed for cause without any buyout. First year of tenure would be exempt from this requirement. Second year needs to improve by one win above previous year. 3 consecutive seasons below threshold is grounds for dismissal for cause regardless of improvement. Schools can elect to raise this threshold to 7-5, 8-4, etc but must be at minimum .500.

- any buyouts must be based on the 10% rules above, and can only equal a maximum of the last year of salary. Ex $4 million salary fired for 8-4, buyout would be limited to $4 million + ($400k x 2) = $4.8 max. Fired for 3-9 (following a 2-10 season) buyout would be $4 million - ($400k x 3) = $2.8 million max.

Probably needs some tweaking with thresholds, %, etc, but bottom line, it would force coaches to perform or GTFO.

Selmon, lead the charge.
That would be illegal I believe.

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
Let me introduce you to the US anti trust laws, which is how the NCAA has lost most of its powers.

The only way this works is if the coaches form a union. I really don't see that happening.

I really wonder when there will be a reduction in coaches' salaries, though. Surely the money maxed out at some point. Between paying the players, conference realignment, TV money fracturing, something's gotta give.

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
I think an agreement on salary based upon wins and success each season would be more incentivizing and beneficial. Like a sales job.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
First off, I don’t think you could get all the schools in the NCAA to even agree that the sky is blue.

Secondly, don’t see how it solves anything. If schools still set the base salary there is no stopping the richest ones from going higher and higher with each new contract.

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
The schools that are bad would have to offer way more money than they do now up front to attract anyone because of the “for cause” termination that’ll happen most of the time

olblue

Mar 11, 2018

Selmon, lead the charge.
You’ll never get that time back you spent coming up with this.

FYI

Reactions: Hot Rock

MittRomney

Nov 6, 2012
You’ll never get that time back you spent coming up with this.

FYI
Didn’t take me long, I’m a quick thinker and typer.

I think it does effect us, even though it’s A&M paying it, the price of poker just keeps going up. Tens of millions potentially tied up in coaches contracts. Also would keep us from having to pay to get rid of a terrible coach. Unchecked, and with NIL, at some point we’ll be totally priced out of competitiveness (if we aren’t already).

olblue

Mar 11, 2018
Didn’t take me long, I’m a quick thinker and typer.

I think it does effect us, even though it’s A&M paying it, the price of poker just keeps going up. Tens of millions potentially tied up in coaches contracts. Also would keep us from having to pay to get rid of a terrible coach. Unchecked, and with NIL, at some point we’ll be totally priced out of competitiveness (if we aren’t already).
In that case, you will never get the time back that you spent under thinking this.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login