NCAA Football 25

DawgsGoneWild

Sep 25, 2012
Who’s played it and what you think?

i really like the gameplay. Running the option i tough for me because they changed up how the buttons are pressed. Basically reversed how you donit, and my pea sized brain can’t get it while in the moment. Defense is really tough.

so much of it looks like real video of an actual game. The hotty 17in toddy chant is pretty pathetic but the cowbells sound awesome.

overall, it’s fantastic. What say ye?

maroonfriday

Jun 4, 2020
Didn't have much time yesterday but played a few halves with MSU. Had the same problem with the option, so that'll definitely take some getting used to. Also agree on the defense, several big plays given up in the secondary from completely whiffing on tackles.
Overall I'm impressed with it living up to the hype after such a long hiatus.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
My son made a wise assessment well beyond his years and said I should wait for the physical copy to be available in case this whole thing blows up in a year or two and the digital version completely goes away. So, we're waiting on Friday. I'm super excited though. All of the initial reviews have been amazing.

Last edited:
Reactions: jlove20 and eckie1

maroontide06

Dec 14, 2023
My son made a wise assessment well beyond years and said I should wait for the physical copy to be available in case this whole thing blows up in a year or two and the digital version completely goes away. So, we're waiting on Friday. I'm super excited though. All of the initial reviews have been amazing.
Which of the new consoles take physical CD's now? I know the X-box X/S doesn't have the physical disc location anymore. Don't know about the PS5 though.

dawgman42

Jul 24, 2007
My son made a wise assessment well beyond years and said I should wait for the physical copy to be available in case this whole thing blows up in a year or two and the digital version completely goes away. So, we're waiting on Friday. I'm super excited though. All of the initial reviews have been amazing.

I used to feel that way, except that the majority of the game still requires you to download it. You have the disc that it will check to see that you have a legitimate, viable copy of the game, but most of the game is not on the physical media. I've been very ticked about that since owning the Xbox Series X. Not a single physical game will run off the disc without downloading the other 80% of it from Microsoft.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I used to feel that way, except that the majority of the game still requires you to download it. You have the disc that it will check to see that you have a legitimate, viable copy of the game, but most of the game is not on the physical media. I've been very ticked about that since owning the Xbox Series X. Not a single physical game will run off the disc without downloading the other 80% of it from Microsoft.
Oof. That's a good point.

DawgsGoneWild

Sep 25, 2012
Which of the new consoles take physical CD's now? I know the X-box X/S doesn't have the physical disc location anymore. Don't know about the PS5 though.
There is a slim digital ps5 that doesn’t take discs and then another version that does. It’s just a little more expensive

TrueMaroonGrind

Jan 6, 2017
Series X has a disc drive. The new model coming out this year has a disc less option, but the one I just bought has a disc drive

vhdawg

Sep 29, 2004
Started a Road To Glory as MSU, and MSU immediately lost 31-30 to FCS Midwest to start the season.

I can't figure out the option either, or how to do RPO stuff. And I can't pass for crap. I need to go workshop in Practice mode.

00Dawg

Nov 10, 2009
Four games in, and some more notes:
1. Even my 13-year-old asked what is wrong with the cheerleaders. EA obviously spent very little time comparatively on facial appearances outside the players. If you can't make something look good, don't show it. The band would be an example. Didn't EA fix bands in like...2008?
2. The cutscenes of your coaching character are also stupid and half-finished, and the facial options were obviously made by someone under 30.
3. Speaking of half-finished, I guess no one realized your players might end up amongst the cameramen.
4. I'm on varsity at the moment. Returns are probably too easy. Field goals are waaaay too hard. My completion percentage was under 50% against UF, so I'm going to stick here for a bit until I get my sea legs again.
5. Ten years later, and the instant "make a play on the ball" by defenders is still goofy-looking, and annoying. A trailing defender on the outside hip of a crossing route shouldn't be able to magically cut across the face of your receiver if you put the ball out in front of them.
6. So far I've only hit on deep balls on the outside when the defense is in press coverage. I have a lot more success in the middle.
7. I can't tell if it's supposed to be some sort of game impact where they forget what they're doing, but backs who should be running routes choosing to stay in to block of their own accord is annoying.
8. The magical instant wrap up when the AI blitzes sometimes is also still around. Nothing like "1 Mississippi" and you're suddenly in someone's grasp despite starting in the gun.
9. I like the feel of the running game. I do think players wear down too quickly, though.
10. Still trying to figure out the transfer portal stuff. I'm feeding Traore regularly, and subbing him out when he's at risk, but his % of transfer risk due to Playing Style keeps going up.
11. You get a wave of coaching credits in the first game or two on Dynasty to spend on improving yourself. Spend wisely, as that wave quickly becomes a trickle.
12. There's some non-intuitive stuff about recruiting. You can be in a player's top 3 or 5, and they're scheduling visits, but it's locked for you. I also had one where when I went to schedule his visit, I couldn't choose some of the options where I had real strengths....they weren't grayed out, but the selection wouldn't take.
13. I got my hopes up thinking we'd get a 4th quarter song. So far, nothing. Fans randomly holding lit cell phones for a cutscene showed up at a couple of stadiums, but there was no tie to the noise.

All in all, probably a very weak B for a grade so far. Very clearly not a finished product.

POTUS

Sep 29, 2022
The new passing mechanics are like trying to jump back into calculus after 10 years out of school. Almost everywhere I've read lines up with my own experience, passing the ball is not very fun. The only reason I've got a TD/INT ratio and not the other way around is the little pop passes/jet sweeps that count as passes. I haven't played a single game where I didn't throw at least 3 picks. I'm playing on All American by the way. The recruiting is awesome once you learn how it works (I started simming to just get through a season and signed the #19 class while going 4-8, but I focused on MS kids and some of them were gems). Probably the best it's ever been. But the passing game just feels awful and the bad teams are WAY too good. You can easily lose to an FCS team with Ohio State on All American. That really shouldn't be possible without trying. I can't imagine how difficult Heisman is.

Also the sim engine sucks. UGA had a losing record when I faced them somewhat late in the season.

Nov 29, 2017
Passing has been a challenge. I’ve also had a tough time with defense and kicking. I’ve only played as us a well. We are overall 80. I think Vandy is only worse than us.

00Dawg

Nov 10, 2009
You guys are convincing me to stay on Varsity. At the moment, it feels right....Toledo gave me trouble until they turned it over a couple of times, and I got up early on UF, had a long period of offensive doldrums, then had to stage a late drive to win by 2. Felt very Leach-esque, honestly.

Oh, I forgot to mention above that the FG blocks are definitely broken. UF actually took their lead on me because an AI-controlled rusher literally bumped the kicker. 15-yard flag followed by a TD.

Possibly of importance, I set my passing controls to Classic.

ETA: Would love any recruiting tips. That's arguably my favorite part of the game.

POTUS

Sep 29, 2022
ETA: Would love any recruiting tips. That's arguably my favorite part of the game.
Nothing earth shattering here, but just my observations.

It's easier to focus on MS, LA & AL kids and look for gems. Once you know their three pitches, you can hard sell them instead of sending the house which saves you 10 points a week. Despite what was advertised there are 4-star and good 3-star players that don't get any offers. You can sort by # of offers and grab 1-3 of those guys later in the process (think week 6 or so). Visits are important and you can only have 4 players at one game so be strategic in what games you choose and get complementary visits on the same week.

Pay attention to the bar graph on the first page of every recruit. Don't throw good money after bad. If you're in a battle with LSU and Bama for a player, just go find another one. Those points are probably better spent scouting to find a gem that won't be as hotly contested.

Even if someone is a bust, if they're better than what you have and your pitches line up, go get them. However, in my run-through I was finding lots of gems so once you have it dialed in you could probably just keep scouting for gems and improve your roster really quickly. I signed 29 guys in the first class including 2 of the top 5 portal players in the off-season and I went 4-8 at MSU. I imagine it's much easier at blue bloods.

00Dawg

Nov 10, 2009

It's easier to focus on MS, LA & AL kids and look for gems. Once you know their three pitches, you can hard sell them instead of sending the house which saves you 10 points a week. Despite what was advertised there are 4-star and good 3-star players that don't get any offers. You can sort by # of offers and grab 1-3 of those guys later in the process (think week 6 or so). Visits are important and you can only have 4 players at one game so be strategic in what games you choose and get complementary visits on the same week.

Pay attention to the bar graph on the first page of every recruit. Don't throw good money after bad. If you're in a battle with LSU and Bama for a player, just go find another one. Those points are probably better spent scouting to find a gem that won't be as hotly contested.

Even if someone is a bust, if they're better than what you have and your pitches line up, go get them. However, in my run-through I was finding lots of gems so once you have it dialed in you could probably just keep scouting for gems and improve your roster really quickly. I signed 29 guys in the first class including 2 of the top 5 portal players in the off-season and I went 4-8 at MSU. I imagine it's much easier at blue bloods.
I think I may have wasted an opportunity by picking Alabama as my pipeline state when creating my coach...I think they're one already for State.
The 4 visitors-per-game limit explains why one of my games locked. Again, not intuitive.

I did see LSU suddenly overtake me on a player, but that also happened on one guy with USM (USM, really?). Meanwhile, I caught and passed Clemson for one recruit, so that felt good.

I hit a bunch of gems in my early scouting, then hit a run of busts. One thing I haven't seen: instant commitment when you offer a scholarship to a player where you're their first choice. Probably tried ~15 at this point.

Will scout for guys with no offers at the next opportunity.

Oct 13, 2012
Even on Varsity, North Texas threw all over me. Just laying it in there right on the money up and down the field.

Didnt matter what formation or coverage type i used. Defense is extremely difficult on this game

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004

So you’re saying hold off taking UMASS to a national championship until I get the hang of recruiting.

POTUS

Sep 29, 2022
Even on Varsity, North Texas threw all over me. Just laying it in there right on the money up and down the field.

Didnt matter what formation or coverage type i used. Defense is extremely difficult on this game
The only thing I can say about defense is that I think it helps to constantly show a certain shell pre-snap. You can show cover 2 or cover 3 by pressing Y/Triangle and using the left stick. Try showing the same shell for a drive despite what coverage you are in. Then show a different shell every play next drive. I think that bothers the CPU. Also, don't blitz unless they are in FG range to try and get them behind the sticks. I get absolutely roasted when I blitz between the 20's (I also just might be bad at picking my spots).

rynodawg

May 29, 2007

The default settings are broken IMO. If playing on varsity set the CPU QB accuracy and WR catching to 40, that will get it more realistic. With default settings, every single opponent QB will be unstoppable and have a 90% completion.

00Dawg

Nov 10, 2009
Beat Texas on my lunch break because of key turnovers: one inside their 5, and another at my 1. Still felt fairly realistic even with the road upset.
On the latter, I actually picked off a pass in the end zone and tried to go down. Instead their receiver pulled my guy out over the goal line...
Let's see how UGA goes...

Am I overlooking an auto-sub option at a certain % of stamina? I'm having to manually adjust depth charts at the moment. Also, I sat Russell for a full drive plus two offensive possessions, and his bar stayed at half-way. Didn't look like he recovered any over halftime, either.

Meanwhile, I'm not seeing the same CPU passing attack, apparently. I think they're probably completing ~60% against me. I did see Toledo go into unstoppable mode for one drive, but generally, I bat 3 or 4 passes down, they'll drop one or two a game when hit by the defender, and I'll pick one or two.
Ewers and Mertz both passed better than the Toledo QB (other than the one drive).

I run almost exclusively zone out of the 3-3-5, and mix up where the extra rusher(s) is coming from. I don't think I've been beat over the top yet, but they do get a lot of underneath stuff. The annoying ones are the backs all alone in the flat when I've called a defense with a defender in that zone.

DawgsGoneWild

Sep 25, 2012
I’m still not sure I’ll ever make a field goal. Also, the difference between playing on freshman and varsity is scoring literally 112 pts in a game vs can’t do anything. Need a little smaller gap there. I like it though

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
I just want to make it clear, if I could have those Nicky Fitz teams, I’d run that option to the National Championship. That was the only thing I was ever good at in those games.

Reactions: RivaDawg

maroonfriday

Jun 4, 2020
Had my first problems last night. Kicked a last second field goal to go to overtime, did the coin toss and the game just froze up. Crowd noises were still going but the game just stopped with the camera view of the grass. Hopefully just a one time thing or something that could get fixed.

00Dawg

Nov 10, 2009
Update on my end: UGA game was never really in doubt. I managed to get a garbage time touchdown, but I could barely move the ball on their D. Did manage to hold them to 22 points on 5 scores. Also of note, I got almost zero pressure with Russell. Their RT stood me up every play.
I went back and watched replay to see my own OTs getting absolutely steamrolled. That happened a lot.

Texas A&M game was weird. Felt like an easy switch was flipped, as Weigman kept throwing it right to defenders. I had two pick sixes.

Arkansas game went 180 degrees, as I finally encountered the unstoppable offense. Man worked better then zone at slowing them down, but I had to work hard to try and stay even. I was going to get the ball back with ~2 minutes left and a chance to win, and the AI sent a rusher to gently bump the kicker again for another 15-yarder. I was so pissed I exited and didn't save. I've played 7 games, and that's happened 3 times. No way their testers didn't hit it.
Highly recommend going Safe on any FG tries.

On the wear-and-tear front, I haven't had Russell come back up in the yellow, but I've had two starters on D begin games in yellow. So, not sure it's intentional, but currently your players aren't fully recovering between games.
In that same vein, I've started making sure Lee gets more carries, as he has the Workhorse trait, and Booth does not.

Is there a manual for this game somewhere? I keep finding sites with parts of what the game includes, but if this thing came with a printed manual, I think it would be the size of a dictionary.
Right now I'm looking for what the different color exclamation marks mean for my defenders.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login