NCAA issues interim NIL guidelines…

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
Ncaa.org

Not sure how useful or enforceable this is, but it’s a first step. Basically outlines what the schools may do to assist athletes with NIL. For those of you who thought players could just walk in and demand money….well, it’s not supposed to work like that.

The first problem I see is the NCAA assuming these deals are actual endorsement deals, as intended, and not just straight up pay for play, as they seem to have become.

patdog

May 28, 2007
It's pay for play. And there is zero chance the NCAA will try to enforce anything. It will continue to be the wild Wild West
Exactly. Every one of these NIL collectives is nothing more than pay for play. They’re not NIL in even the remotest way. This is simply a rubber stamp for the current Wild Wild West era we’re in.

Reactions: Cantdoitsal

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
The money is not nearly as big as some think. Either way.....I'm ready for tax season. Talk about a cluster.

I think they could solve a lot by actually saying that NIL has to be based on something tangible, i.e. a unit of 'work', whether that's appearances or signed memorabilia or whatever. Of course people will still hand out money for nothing (and under the table, like in the past). But at least there will be something there for the NCAA to enforce if something is laid in their lap.

Reactions: Old Fart Dawg

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Exactly. It’s one or the other but not both.

NIL and 1 free transfer- why not?
If people are dumb enough to throw thousands at student athletes just so the players sign, and they continue to be dumb enough to do that even after they see a pattern of players transferring out, and they continue to be dumb enough to throw more money to players so they transfer in...let em continue to do that.
As for 1 free transfer, I love it. For decades, it was a completely imbalanced relationship- schools could drop a player from scholarship and effectively force them to transfer, and therefore sit out a year. Many student athletes lost 25% of their college competition because they had already redshirted and had to sit out again due to the effective forced transfer. And schools could just arbitrarily and punitively restrict student athletes from transferring to various schools. It was often cited as justifiable based on suspected tampering, but it was clearly just punitive in the vast majority of situations. Meanwhile, coaches and administration would choose to leave every year without having to sit out a year. A new coach would come in with a different style of play and if that meant some student athletes would no longer fit the new scheme...then they would have to sit a year.

It was completely unjustifiable for decades. Just absurd, really.
Now? The pendulum has swung too far in the other direction, but thats because the side with power had pulled it their way so far for so long, the large swing was inevitable once the side with power lost their grip.
So let it be 17ing chaos. 17 it- call this what it is- a bunch of people just wanting to get theirs and leaving for perceived greener pastures. Admin, coaches, student athletes- all doing what they think is in their best interest.
Let it continue until the dummies that keep throwing money at everyone stop throwing money at everyone. If the dummies dont stop, then let it continue.

^ thats the given up hope response. Its legit, but I get that its an emotional acceptance of having lost what was really cool for the fan.

An actual more serious answer is that I think NIL and 1 free transfer should both continue to exist because they can benefit different players.
NIL goes to the best/most marketable/more impactful players. 1 free transfer goes to everyone and therefore allows student athletes who arent playing(and not receiving NIL) to leave for a better opportunity. Why take that away from them just because NIL exists for a small handful of overall student athletes?
I would be fine with the rule that each student athlete can either accept NIL money -or- be free to transfer 1 time without penalty. That would still allow many to transfer without penalty. And it would maybe better focus NIL money on those who are actually using their Name, Image, and Likeness for profit(endorsements).

ababyatemydingo

Nov 27, 2008

If people are dumb enough to throw thousands at student athletes just so the players sign, and they continue to be dumb enough to do that even after they see a pattern of players transferring out, and they continue to be dumb enough to throw more money to players so they transfer in...let em continue to do that.
As for 1 free transfer, I love it. For decades, it was a completely imbalanced relationship- schools could drop a player from scholarship and effectively force them to transfer, and therefore sit out a year. Many student athletes lost 25% of their college competition because they had already redshirted and had to sit out again due to the effective forced transfer. And schools could just arbitrarily and punitively restrict student athletes from transferring to various schools. It was often cited as justifiable based on suspected tampering, but it was clearly just punitive in the vast majority of situations. Meanwhile, coaches and administration would choose to leave every year without having to sit out a year. A new coach would come in with a different style of play and if that meant some student athletes would no longer fit the new scheme...then they would have to sit a year.

Now? The pendulum has swung too far in the other direction, but thats because the side with power had pulled it their way so far for so long, the large swing was inevitable once the side with power lost their grip.
So let it be 17ing chaos. 17 it- call this what it is- a bunch of people just wanting to get theirs and leaving for perceived greener pastures. Admin, coaches, student athletes- all doing what they think is in their best interest.
Let it continue until the dummies that keep throwing money at everyone stop throwing money at everyone. If the dummies dont stop, then let it continue.

^ thats the given up hope response. Its legit, but I get that its an emotional acceptance of having lost what was really cool for the fan.

An actual more serious answer is that I think NIL and 1 free transfer should both continue to exist because they can benefit different players.
NIL goes to the best/most marketable/more impactful players. 1 free transfer goes to everyone and therefore allows student athletes who arent playing(and not receiving NIL) to leave for a better opportunity. Why take that away from them just because NIL exists for a small handful of overall student athletes?
I would be fine with the rule that each student athlete can either accept NIL money -or- be free to transfer 1 time without penalty. That would still allow many to transfer without penalty. And it would maybe better focus NIL money on those who are actually using their Name, Image, and Likeness for profit(endorsements).
Tldr

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005

I need some Cliffs Notes please. Lord have mercy.

patdog

May 28, 2007

Good lord man. I read War and Peace in less time than it would take me to read that.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
The money is not nearly as big as some think. Either way.....I'm ready for tax season. Talk about a cluster.

I think they could solve a lot by actually saying that NIL has to be based on something tangible, i.e. a unit of 'work', whether that's appearances or signed memorabilia or whatever. Of course people will still hand out money for nothing (and under the table, like in the past). But at least there will be something there for the NCAA to enforce if something is laid in their lap.
Do you genuinely not believe the money is that big or are you saying that it’s not significantly more than was already being spent under the table?

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Do you genuinely not believe the money is that big or are you saying that it’s not significantly more than was already being spent under the table?
It’s not the millions and gajillions of dollars that the doomsayers think. I do think it’s more than the previous black market. I’d guess it’s up 20-30% from that.

Charlie Winfield will tell you the same - these stupid numbers that are being reported are not accurate.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
No bidness is gonna pay these players what they are getting from a true marketing standpoint which we all know. Bidnesses are getting free advertising is the way I'm seeing it being paid by boosters. NIL Caps and a return to the old rules of transferring would work I think.

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
Ncaa.org

Not sure how useful or enforceable this is, but it’s a first step. Basically outlines what the schools may do to assist athletes with NIL. For those of you who thought players could just walk in and demand money….well, it’s not supposed to work like that.

The first problem I see is the NCAA assuming these deals are actual endorsement deals, as intended, and not just straight up pay for play, as they seem to have become.
Although that is not how it is supposed to work, it is absolutely how it is going to work. There are zero ways to prove it either way.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
I need some Cliffs Notes please. Lord have mercy.
I'm telling you he moonlights as the script writer for the DNC or the Biden administration. I got it all in the title and I agree. That was enough for me.
Good lord man. I read War and Peace in less time than it would take me to read that.
Sorry all, sometimes I forget where I am posting and that comments need to contain only single syllable words and 140 characters or fewer.
Thats on me.

Here is the TLDR- DSD's idea is bad and both should exist.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
I think it’s safe to say that me & @L4Dawg as well as all the other club soccer fans on this board wouldn’t mind the introduction of Transfer Fees to NCAA Football.
Yep, if it's going to be like this run it exactly like the soccer world does it. It would be infinitely better than what we have.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

UpTheMiddlex3Punt

May 28, 2007
The original premise of NIL was to allow athletes to profit off of the "name, image, and likeness". So players could do stuff like have monetized instagram accounts, charge for autographs, or even get paid to endorse a brand. But it's definitely getting turned into pay-for-play and no real endorsements show up.

If a professional athlete changes teams, they typically do not lose their endorsements. That's not clearly the case for almost all of these collegiate NIL deals.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login