NCAA nixing requirement for divisions to have conference championship game

Duke Humphrey

Oct 3, 2013
This is pretty strong indicator we will see pods/permanent opponents in new SEC schedule format, not divisions.

"on April 28, the NCAA Football Oversight Committee recommended the Division I Council remove the requirements to hold a conference championship game and exempt it from the maximum number of games. This recommendation, which is not official but expected to be approved by the Council later this month, would allow conferences freedom to determine who competes in the conference championship game."

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
And maybe have the conference championship be played between the two highest rated teams as opposed to the best records?

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
Oh well, less chance we see a championship game. Can't wait for the permanent AL and LSU games. Hell, they'll probably hit us with OK too. I can't see us getting a fair shake but maybe I'm wrong.

Last edited:

Duke Humphrey

Oct 3, 2013
2014 would have been interesting had this been the case. Mizzou was 7-1 and ranked 14th, while UGA and MSU were 6-2 and ranked 9th and 11th.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Assuming the same records, I'm sure Missouri would have still played in the championship game. But with no divisions, the schedules wouldn't have been the same and its very doubtful Missouri would have had a 7-1 record.

Duke Humphrey

Oct 3, 2013
I was referring to Maroon Eagle's idea that higher ranked teams get the nod over those with better record. I looked at 2014 to see if we would have made it under that theory, but I am sure its happened before. But yes, you are right, without the division, doubtful they would have that record.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Assuming the same records, I'm sure Missouri would have still played in the championship game. But with no divisions, the schedules wouldn't have been the same and its very doubtful Missouri would have had a 7-1 record.

I think with pods, it is more likely that you will have a team with an uncharacteristically easy conference schedule. Missouri played 8 out of 14 teams. We're likely going to play 8 out of 16 teams for at least a little while when UT and OU join.

It's unfortunately for MSU going to make ******** early season polls even more important. Regardless of who has the toughest schedule, it's very unlikely you will see a 7-1 MSU get the nod over a 7-1 Bama or UGA. Probably much more likely you'd see a 6-2 Bama or UGA get the nod over a 7-1 MSU.

Granted, that's not likely to be an issue more than once a couple (or more) decades , but it makes it that much less likely that we will get the nod for teh championship game in one of those rare years that the stars align.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
All this means is that we won't play a championship game, and that we will likely get an expanded playoff. This is a good thing for MSU. They will probably award conference titles based on records, like they do for other sports. If we catch an easier draw, we could win the conference.

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
LT1 will have us playing BAMA, LSU, UGA, Ole Mlss, A&M and OU as permanent opponents and LT2 will vote for it.**

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
You can bet you pecker the SEC will not get rid of the Championship Game. If anything they will expand it to a four team play off.

patdog

May 28, 2007
If you want your championship game to have any legitimacy at all, you have to take the teams with the best SEC record. You can use rankings to break a tie, but you can’t take a 6-2 team over a 7-1 team. Of course this assumes the SEC cares about legitimacy.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
This is pretty strong indicator we will see pods/permanent opponents in new SEC schedule format, not divisions.

"on April 28, the NCAA Football Oversight Committee recommended the Division I Council remove the requirements to hold a conference championship game and exempt it from the maximum number of games. This recommendation, which is not official but expected to be approved by the Council later this month, would allow conferences freedom to determine who competes in the conference championship game."

I’m failing to see the change point. The Big 12 has been holding a championship game without divisions for several years now.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Conferences with 12 or more teams were required to have divisions. Conferences that played a full round robin were not.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Agree. However, the benefit for MSU is we will have a much better chance of getting one of those “easy” schedules. They won’t be reserved for SEC East teams.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login