Nebraska AD sends letter to Big Ten stating they no longer want to host Friday night CFB games....

PSUFTG

Nov 1, 2021
IIRC:

PSU, Michigan, and OSU notified the B10 (back when the TV deals were being negotiated, and the new TV partners required the availability of Friday night time slots) that they would not host such games (again, IIRC, they all said they would be willing to have an occasional road game on a Friday night).
So Nebraska is just adding themselves to the list (trying to, at least) of schools that are vetoing Friday night home games.
Good for them, IMO. It is placing the priority of doing what is right for their fan base ahead of what the TV folks want.

Will it cause the TV partners to ask for other concessions? Maybe reduce the financial payout? Who knows?

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
IIRC:

PSU, Michigan, and OSU notified the B10 (back when the TV deals were being negotiated, and the new TV partners required the availability of Friday night time slots) that they would not host such games (again, IIRC, they all said they would be willing to have an occasional road game on a Friday night).
So Nebraska is just adding themselves to the list (trying to, at least) of schools that are vetoing Friday night home games.
Good for them, IMO. It is placing the priority of doing what is right for their fan base ahead of what the TV folks want.

Will it cause the TV partners to ask for other concessions? Maybe reduce the financial payout? Who knows?
Ought to be interesting. Recriminations began flying at some of the networks, most notably CBS, almost immediately after the deals were signed.

psuro

Oct 12, 2021
I think this is all temporary. I heard the Lingerie Football League Legends Football League X League will be back and Fox can use that for Friday night programming.

NittPicker

Oct 7, 2021
Friday night games would be alright at places where stadium parking isn't in the same lots as faculty/staff/commuter parking. Otherwise it becomes be a logistical nightmare. As their AD noted, you don't want to be cancelling classes to avoid the headache. That's why Maryland canceled classes a few years ago when PSU played there on a Friday night.

Psu00

Oct 12, 2021
I like how he says he doesn’t think schools should be able to unilaterally say they won’t playing Friday nights……..and then he submits a letter to Petitti that Nebraska won’t play on Friday nights. ;)

PSUSignore

Oct 25, 2021
I like how he says he doesn’t think schools should be able to unilaterally say they won’t playing Friday nights……..and then he submits a letter to Petitti that Nebraska won’t play on Friday nights. ;)
I think his point was that the Big 10 shouldn't allow some schools to opt out and not others. As of this year UM, OSU and PSU all told the Big 10 they will not host Friday games. He has a point, but it will fall on deaf ears and the smaller programs will end up biting the bullet. Good for UNL for standing up for what they feel is best for them.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
If they would have won he never would have sent the letter. It's an excuse (less time to rest/prepare, etc.). Schools want the money, they do what they're told.

Psu00

Oct 12, 2021
I think his point was that the Big 10 shouldn't allow some schools to opt out and not others. As of this year UM, OSU and PSU all told the Big 10 they will not host Friday games. He has a point, but it will fall on deaf ears and the smaller programs will end up biting the bullet. Good for UNL for standing up for what they feel is best for them.

I know. I just found it funny how he said they shouldn’t be able to decline and then he promptly sent a letter with Nebby declining (rather than insisting to the commish that everyone play on Friday). ;)

I have no problem with schools refusing Friday nights. It’s high school football night. While that may be minor in some states, it isn’t in PA, OH, TX, FL, etc. Add to that the fan travel angle with huge stadiums in remote areas, parking conflicts with staff/ students working on Friday, etc and it just doesn’t make sense for many schools.

J.E.B

Oct 30, 2021
You’re also forcing 100,00 people to show up on a week night. It’s a logistically a nightmare for everyone and easier on smaller stadiums and crowds like NW, Ind, Pur, Ill, Minn, Md, Rut, and maybe Sparty and Iowa. Forget it in Seattle and LA where traffic is a nightmare anyway.

Latest posts

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login