Nebraska Football and Why It Sucks

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
I have posted this before in the middle of some obscure thread, but figured it would be worth a read on it's own. I had the "privilege" years ago to work in an office full of Oklahoma and A&M grads and unfortunately all of their football talk was about shared hatred of Texas and how life was better before the BIG12.

Oklahoma was an old Big 8 team and boy did those 17ers hate Nebraska. They filled me in on Prop 48 and Osborne's dynasty.

Nebraska and Osborne were too far from Texas to compete with the SWC and Oklahoma schools for the high school talent in Texas, but they didn't have to really compete for "their" type of players. Most conferences had limits of 5 or so prop 48 players, but the Big 8 had no such limit.

Prop 48 players are academic partial and non qualifiers that would ordinarily be destined for JUCO, but not if Nebraska came calling. They had way more than anybody else and it's how they built recruiting footholds in hotbeds like Florida and Texas.

In the Big12 the members voted to only allow 4 partial qualifiers per year for the entire school 2 of which had to be girls and only one in any given sport. Non qualifiers were completely ineligible. Osborne bitched endlessly about having to get out of the "heppin" business and it's no coincidence that the Big 12's first year was 1996 and Osborne retired in 1997.

He knew what became the truth over the next 2 decades. Nobody was coming to Lincoln NE from Florida and very few would drive past all the other big 12 schools in Texas and Oklahoma from the Texas ranks.

Nebraska held on via reputation for a little while, but without the talent that nobody else was allowed to take, they have fallen a long, long way. Osborne carries legend status, but the reality is he won big because he had a ridiculous advantage in being able to recruit non qualifiers. They were the original Last Chance U.

https://vault.si.com/vault/1996/01/15/headed-for-a-fall-nebraska-may-win-another-national-title-but-the-days-when-such-a-colossus-ruled-the-game-are-over

NIL and the transfer portal may become a fresh opportunity for Nebraska to recruit talent that would otherwise never dream of heading to Lincoln and if the administration is smart they will hire a snake oil salesmen like Freeze to make the most of it.. it's their only shot at regaining relevance.

Last edited:

cowbell88

Jan 11, 2009
I knew I had read something somewhere (probably your post) about what changed with Nebraska football. Thanks for the refresher.

bulldoghair

Jul 9, 2013
I didn’t know that about the prop 48 change. But even still I don’t think that change alone is the reason for the downturn. How many partial qualifiers did they possibly take a year? Maybe 3-5 at most. And note that I don’t think Frazier or Phillips were PQ’s either. I’m sure this made some difference though. But I think it was several little reasons instead of one reason for the Nebraska drop off. To me the most significant was firing Solich and hiring Bill Callahan. Callahan was not necessarily a bad coach. He was just the wrong coach. NU hired Callahan for his offense—an NFL style offense. They made this move just as the spread was starting to dominate the college game. That triple option set them apart in many ways. If they were just hell bent on switching offense styles, NU would have been far better off changing to a spread option at the very least. Also they were far ahead of everyone else with regard to strength and conditioning, and then everyone eventually caught up to them negating that advantage. But again, if I were them, I would go back and commit to that same old style of offense. Recruit for it specifically again. Find a way to set yourself apart and negate the talent gap.

Emma’s Dad

May 5, 2021
This is true. And never will NE/OU carry the weight it did when Johnny Rogers and Greg Pruitt faced off on Thanksgiving in early seventies. A relic of better days in college football.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Also how many non qualifiers are there nowadays anyway? HS (and really the schools recruiting the kids) typically figure out a way to get kids in. I haven’t followed
recruiting closely in a while but it seems like the days of “he isnt gonna qualify anyway” are gone.

tcdog70

Sep 24, 2012
I thought at one time they had a deal where every county in Nebraska had a walk-on scholly to use as long as they went to Nebraska.

Bill Shankly

Nov 27, 2020
I have posted this before in the middle of some obscure thread, but figured it would be worth a read on it's own. I had the "privilege" years ago to work in an office full of Oklahoma and A&M grads and unfortunately all of their football talk was about shared hatred of Texas and how life was better before the BIG12.

Oklahoma was an old Big 8 team and boy did those 17ers hate Nebraska. They filled me in on Prop 48 and Osborne's dynasty.

Nebraska and Osborne were too far from Texas to compete with the SWC and Oklahoma schools for the high school talent in Texas, but they didn't have to really compete for "their" type of players. Most conferences had limits of 5 or so prop 48 players, but the Big 8 had no such limit.

Prop 48 players are academic partial and non qualifiers that would ordinarily be destined for JUCO, but not if Nebraska came calling. They had way more than anybody else and it's how they built recruiting footholds in hotbeds like Florida and Texas.

In the Big12 the members voted to only allow 4 partial qualifiers per year for the entire school 2 of which had to be girls and only one in any given sport. Non qualifiers were completely ineligible. Osborne bitched endlessly about having to get out of the "heppin" business and it's no coincidence that the Big 12's first year was 1996 and Osborne retired in 1997.

He knew what became the truth over the next 2 decades. Nobody was coming to Lincoln NE from Florida and very few would drive past all the other big 12 schools in Texas and Oklahoma from the Texas ranks.

Nebraska held on via reputation for a little while, but without the talent that nobody else was allowed to take, they have fallen a long, long way. Osborne carries legend status, but the reality is he won big because he had a ridiculous advantage in being able to recruit non qualifiers. They were the original Last Chance U.

https://vault.si.com/vault/1996/01/...-when-such-a-colossus-ruled-the-game-are-over

NIL and the transfer portal may become a fresh opportunity for Nebraska to recruit talent that would otherwise never dream of heading to Lincoln and if the administration is smart they will hire a snake oil salesmen like Freeze to make the most of it.. it's their only shot at regaining relevance.
It's hilarious that Oklahoma people thought Nebraska was shady.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login