Nebraska Job: Kiffen, Mullen, and Freeze keep getting thrown around

Beretta.sixpack

Oct 29, 2009
I don't think Nebraska job is a bad one, but I don't think its as good as the Nebraska folks think it is...

Mullen: eh....maybe....he is front up north....he has a cush job on TV and loves the light on himself and living on Florida money.....his kid loves his golf and Nebraska gets cold in winter

Freeze: I don't think its flashy enough for a born and bread southern boy.....I could see him at Florida St, UNC....just dont see him trying to tackle that job

Kiffin: Regardless of what the media says about him, he really loves Oxford....his daughter just moved here (yes, i live in Oxford) and my daughter is friends with his at OHS....she loves it here as well....I dont think Nebraska could offer $10M a year and make him leave for that job....

Aug 22, 2012
Nebraska will have to wait because Auburn is going to be looking too and despite the crazy boosters, that's a better job than Nebraska.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
I don’t think Nebraska is a better job than either state or ole miss now. I’d be shocked if Kiffin left ole miss for Nebraska.

Nebraska does have an easier path to a conference championship but also has a much more difficult place to recruit to than Ole Miss.

Sep 15, 2009
I don't think Nebraska job is a bad one, but I don't think its as good as the Nebraska folks think it is...

Mullen: eh....maybe....he is front up north....he has a cush job on TV and loves the light on himself and living on Florida money.....his kid loves his golf and Nebraska gets cold in winter

Freeze: I don't think its flashy enough for a born and bread southern boy.....I could see him at Florida St, UNC....just dont see him trying to tackle that job

Kiffin: Regardless of what the media says about him, he really loves Oxford....his daughter just moved here (yes, i live in Oxford) and my daughter is friends with his at OHS....she loves it here as well....I dont think Nebraska could offer $10M a year and make him leave for that job....

Freeze would jump at ANY Power 5 job. He was dead in the water and was demoted down to Liberty. He has paid his dues and would take Nebraska in a heartbeat just thankful he got another shot. I don't care how much Kiffin "loves" Oxford. He would leave and go to Auburn today if offered. More money, more resources, MUCH better chance to make it to CFB Playoff

Last edited:

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Freeze would jump at ANY Power 5 job. He was dead in the water and was demoted down to Liberty. He has paid his dues and would take Nebraska in a heartbeat just thankful he got another shot. I don't care how much Kiffin "loves" Oxford. He would leave and go to Auburn today if offered

Mullen loved Starkville. He said it. It's all coaches talk.

Lucifer Morningstar

Aug 30, 2022
Can not blame Danny for not liking the cold it is not really my favorite either. Nebraska fans will not be happy unless the zombie of Vince Lombardi shows up to coach them, just look at their message board or ask them. I might be just the crazy ole devil but I like Iowa State guy for that job. In terms of Auburn I might be a little nuts for feeling this way as well, but I would rather be at Nebraska as opposed to cleaning up the dumpster fire that Harsin is leaving. I could be completely wrong on that but I just feel like I would rather be in Lincoln as opposed to Auburn. Again what does the devil know?

Sep 15, 2009
yes my point exactly....The guy is going to have a good record this year with their joke of a schedule and be primed and ready to bolt for a better job.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2012
The talent you can get at Auburn far outstrips what you can get in Nebraska. Having taken a huge L to Johnny in that fiddlin' competition, any recommendations for us on getting over the LSU loss?

Lucifer Morningstar

Aug 30, 2022
The talent you can get at Auburn far outstrips what you can get in Nebraska. Having taken a huge L to Johnny in that fiddlin' competition, any recommendations for us on getting over the LSU loss?

Fair point my retort would be I just think Harsin is leaving an even bigger mess than anyone realizes. For that reason I would rather be in Lincoln , but who knows Auburn gets a new coach and is in the playoff in two years.

In terms of Johnny that was a song, a damn good one but I am still undefeated. My best instrument is actually the piano. My biggest loss, and only loss, was the whole getting kicked out of heaven thing. How did I get over that? Ran hell for a while and eventually just made peace with it while also having fun getting to enjoy a vacation here amongst you humans. As hard and as simplistic as it seems State fans need to just let it go. Wasn’t your night or whatever other phrase of speech used to excuse losing that applies. Focus on the game in front of you and stop with the whole sky is crashing, not saying you Mr. Monster, just saying it is one game.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Yeah. I think Kiffin is going to be there a while. There's a few jobs he would leave for. But Nebraska isn't even close to being one of them. I'm not sure Auburn is either (I saw them mentioned in the thread).

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Freeze would jump at ANY Power 5 job. He was dead in the water and was demoted down to Liberty. He has paid his dues and would take Nebraska in a heartbeat just thankful he got another shot. I don't care how much Kiffin "loves" Oxford. He would leave and go to Auburn today if offered. More money, more resources, MUCH better chance to make it to CFB Playoff

Yea, Ole Miss and State are both good jobs now. Certainly not blue bloods, but good enough that Nebraska isn't poaching their coach unless they just want to get out for other reasons. Would Kiffen leave for Auburn? Probably. Auburn can outspend Ole Miss on NIL and it has a higher ceiling. But it's not a slam dunk. Auburn is dysfunctional as 17 obviously. Ole Miss isn't the most functional place so that isn't as big of a deal as it might be. But it's certainly not inconceivable that Kiffen liked Ole Miss enough and didn't think Auburn was a big enough upgrade to take it. Ole Miss's best hope is that Kiffen really wants to get somewhere in particular (like Miami?) or just really wants to coach at a true blue blood and doesn't want to reset the clock on when he can jump ship. Taking a small upgrade to go to auburn and then have a job he really want come up one year later would make it tough to get hired and higher stakes for him to leave.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
If you're Mullen, you go. With these salaries, go out there and even if you lose, you get richer.

That's how stupid it all is.

Freeze and Kiffin won't leave for Nebraska.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012

Picturing the devil and the Cookie Monster having a conversation is the funniest thing I've ever imagined.

11thEagleFan

Sep 6, 2015
Kiffin would leave Ole Miss, but not for Nebraska or Auburn, IMO. Auburn killed any chance they might have for Kiffin when they went full character assassination on Harsin and tried to persuade everyone he was a sexual deviant. For Kiffin, I think that’s a non-starter.

I think Freeze would be an awful fit for Nebraska but I think he would take it. I think Mullen is good being an analyst for the rest of his life. He wanted to be an NFL coach and it just never materialized.

Tomas Smid

May 4, 2010
Freeze makes in excess of 3 million a year at Liberty and has absolutely no pressure to win in a beautiful area with outstanding facilities. He would probably strongly consider Auburn but he is not heading north of the M-D line.

Kiffin is in the top ten, or extremely close, in coaching salaries. The playoff expansion to twelve teams is right down his alley. I believe I read where his daughter at Oxford High is going to OM next year. I suspect OM will match any offer. Don’t see him leaving a no pressure job any time soon.

That leaves Mullen. If offered, he gone:

Irondawg

Dec 2, 2007
Unless they get hammered by probation (-and I can’t see that happening) then I’m calling Mullen if I’m Arizona State.

He’d be a good fit there and his offense would be very good against those undersized pac 10 d-lines

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007

Have you seen what they are paying coaches recently? #SteppingStone

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
It’s going to take stupid money for a successfully established P5 coach to move to Nebraska.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Ole Miss will be relieved to hear it's some guy named Kiffen, and not their coach.

atomic dawg

Apr 4, 2019
I dont understand why Kiffin comes up every time a coaching job opens. He's not going anywhere soon. He's a 40something year old smart *** frat boy that gets to be a big fish in the small pond of Oxford. He'll have just enough success that theyll revere him for decades if he just sticks around for a while. And Im sure the rebel black bear faithful admire him for his non-servant having heart. He's a perfect fit for them. Sooner or later one of the big boys will roll out the Brinks truck and lure him away but I think he'll be at Mississippi for a while longer so Leach better find some ways to win the golden egg against him.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login