Need help, I Got a 1/2 steer coming my way

Pookieray

Oct 14, 2012
I need a freezer. It'll be ~200 lbs of meat. Should I get an upright freezer or a chest freezer and how big?

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Neither is a great option. With the upright everything falls out every time you open the door. With the chest type you never get to the stuff at the bottom. Someone needs to invent a better freezer.

Reactions: DAWGSANDSAINTS

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Get the upright and invest in some storage bins or baskets that are the size of the shelves. I think I’ve broken toes from a pound of sausage falling out when I opened the door.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Upright all the way. Yes stuff can fall out like in any regular fridge/freezer, but if you're pretty careful about how you stack it, shouldn't be a problem. I'd also get a thermometer like this one or similar, particularly if you're going to have the freezer in your garage. It's saved my *** a couple times.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I need a freezer. It'll be ~200 lbs of meat. Should I get an upright freezer or a chest freezer and how big?
I'll second the upright. We have a french door fridge and freezer combo and a normal side by side fridge and freezer combo and the side by side is so much better for frozen foods. The bottom drawer freezer is just a place for food to disappear. I have to unpack half of it just to know what's in there. Even if you're storing a ton of the same thing, it's still a pain in the *** because the natural thing is for it to be last-in, first out, which is of course the opposite of what you want.

I can see how things falling out would be a concern if you're trying to fit 200lbs of beef in there, but I'd rather deal with that than trying to move around 100lbs of beef just to find what I want.

Pookieray

Oct 14, 2012
Get two so you don't overstuff the one. Make sure they are self defrosting.
I've been looking at used ones and I have noticed that some aren't self defrosting. I had no idea that some don't defrost. I'll keep an eye out for that.

Dawghouse

Sep 14, 2011
Upright for sure. Chests suck IMO. The suggestion for an alarm is great. 200 pounds of meat is what $1000+. Alarms are super cheap and worth it.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login