Need your help SPS

missouridawg

Oct 6, 2009
I’m redoing the man cave and I’m going to have a maroon wall and maroon blackout curtains.

I have found the paint color provided by MSU at https://www.myperfectcolor.com/pain...es.com&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=ncaa.

Im assuming I can just take that PMS code to a paint store and get it matched, right?

Also, where would I be able to find that exact same shade of maroon in fabric?

lastly, does anyone know if our maroon and aTms maroon is the same? That would likely help me match fabric in Houston, TX a little easier.

thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
It used to be the same as Alabama’s Crimson. **

Seriously though, sounds great. Post pics when you’ve got it done.

Wesson Bulldog

Nov 3, 2015
We painted my sons room the exact PMS color of State maroon. Home Depotv did the match. I still think it's not deep enough maroon. It looks Similar to the walmart shade.

I suggest going a couple of shades darker just to be safe. Good luck with it.

ababyatemydingo

Nov 27, 2008
missouridawg;[URL="tel:2019441" said:
2019441[/URL]]I’m redoing the man cave and I’m going to have a maroon wall and maroon blackout curtains.

I have found the paint color provided by MSU at https://www.myperfectcolor.com/pain...es.com&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=ncaa.

Im assuming I can just take that PMS code to a paint store and get it matched, right?

Also, where would I be able to find that exact same shade of maroon in fabric?

lastly, does anyone know if our maroon and aTms maroon is the same? That would likely help me match fabric in Houston, TX a little easier.

thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer

here you go

https://teamcolorcodes.com/mississippi-state-university-bulldogs-colors/

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
I went through this around Christmas. Got a sample of the “official” color that was given to me
by the shErwin Williams in Starkville. They told me this is the exact color and paint they just used in the Hump. It didn’t match anything maroon that I had. It was much darker and way more purple than I anticipated. Looked weird. I ended up picking up a non official maroon that matches my perception of the color.

peewee.sixpack

Nov 4, 2014
I went through this around Christmas. Got a sample of the “official” color that was given to me
by the shErwin Williams in Starkville. They told me this is the exact color and paint they just used in the Hump. It didn’t match anything maroon that I had. It was much darker and way more purple than I anticipated. Looked weird. I ended up picking up a non official maroon that matches my perception of the color.

I have a bonus room upstairs I did the same thing. I took the color off the msu color chart to Sherwin Williams in Clinton. My room only has 1 window so it’s kind of dark. It had a strong purple ascent. We repainted the room to a light grey and I like it a lot better.

RiverCityDawg

Dec 30, 2009
It will be easier to find a suitable maroon colored fabric 1st and have the paint store match the paint to the fabric.

This is great advice.

Also, I went though this as well and realized that many different shades of maroon are used on officially licensed products, so I just picked a bunch of paint sample and matched the most common one that looked like the maroon I know.

As others have said, our maroon is more purple than you might think. A little of that in a room goes a long way. I just did a section of paneling behind my home bar and it turned out great, but any more would probably be too much for the room.

missouridawg

Oct 6, 2009
Thank you for all the advice. Sounds like I need to get the fabric first, try to match the paint to it… and then maybe even just get maroon samples and find the one I like best rather than using the MSU provided Pantone scheme.

Last edited:

The Fatboy

Oct 18, 2005
The biggest thing to consider is the type of light source. Natural light, florescent, LED etc will all change the shade of maroon you see because of the wavelengths being reflected back. Check and see if your local place has a display where you can change the lightsource and look at different paint strips under different settings and choose the right paint color that way.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
I did mine in 2 tones. I did the maroon on the bottom 2/5ths and put a silver gray chair rail and white in the upper section. I then painted a baseball swinging Bully in one section of the white and hung other memorabilia in other parts. The white is a better background for pictures and plaques etc.

missouridawg

Oct 6, 2009
I did mine in 2 tones. I did the maroon on the bottom 2/5ths and put a silver gray chair rail and white in the upper section. I then painted a baseball swinging Bully in one section of the white and hung other memorabilia in other parts. The white is a better background for pictures and plaques etc.

this sounds pretty cool

i think we found a color at Sherwin Williams that we liked. Two coats of the Deep Maroon looked like a solid match to us. We plan on putting our kids’ sports pictures in this wall with white frames so they pop out a little bit.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login