NET up to 35…

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
Road wins, even against bad teams, are HUGE for the NET rankings. Our NET ranking didn’t move at all when we beat Georgia at home but went up nine spots with the Missouri road win. I don’t expect to win at Auburn, but at A&M is doable and that would be absolutely massive and might lock up our spot in the tourney if we take care of business at home.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Road wins, even against bad teams, are HUGE for the NET rankings. don’t expect to win at Auburn, but at A&M is doable and that would be absolutely massive and might lock up our spot in the tourney if we take care of business at home.
What about our "fans" who say we suck cause we're only leading by 4 at half on the road in conference play?

Reactions: Darryl Steight

TaleofTwoDogs

Jun 1, 2004
How can South Carolina be the new #44 with a 21-3 record and a 3-2 Quad 1 mark and 18-1 Quad 2 - 4? NET like football recruiting stars are definitely a subjective field. Someone's algorithms are screwed up.

Edit - Sorry, just read McDawg22's post on the subject of NET

Reactions: Mr. Cook

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
How can South Carolina be the new #44 with a 21-3 record and a 3-2 Quad 1 mark and 18-1 Quad 2 - 4? NET like football recruiting stars are definitely a subjective field. Someone's algorithms are screwed up.

Edit - Sorry, just read McDawg22's post on the subject of NET
Because just playing Quad 1 games helps. If South Carolina continues winning at the pace they are now - they will end up fine.

Reactions: HuntDawg

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
Because just playing Quad 1 games helps. If South Carolina continues winning at the pace they are now - they will end up fine.
Using @TaleofTwoDogs point and South Carolina as the example: 3 losses - @Clemson, @Alabama, and vs. UGA. (NET 5, 29, & 94), I'm struggling to understand the NET formulation, as well, if one assumes it to be objective.

There are others, as well, that are head scratching: Michigan State, St. John's, by way of examples

Reactions: TaleofTwoDogs

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
Road wins, even against bad teams, are HUGE for the NET rankings. Our NET ranking didn’t move at all when we beat Georgia at home but went up nine spots with the Missouri road win. I don’t expect to win at Auburn, but at A&M is doable and that would be absolutely massive and might lock up our spot in the tourney if we take care of business at home.

One thing I'll also say is that while I've been one of the ones bringing up the missed Quad 1 opportunities all season, when you look at all the teams from 18 on down, pretty much everyone has a similar Quad 1 record. Those just aren't games that you're expected to win unless you're a genuinely elite program, so it's a big feather in a team's cap when you pick up a win there.

Reactions: Mr. Cook

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Using @TaleofTwoDogs point and South Carolina as the example: 3 losses - @Clemson, @Alabama, and vs. UGA. (NET 5, 29, & 94), I'm struggling to understand the NET formulation, as well, if one assumes it to be objective.

There are others, as well, that are head scratching: Michigan State, St. John's, by way of examples
Because there is another factor- adjusted efficiency where SC is 45th. It’s appears to be agnostic of opponent. So it helps to beat the hell out of teams when you can.

No understands Team Value Index bc it’s not public. But it’s obviously an automated calculation.

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
Because there is another factor- adjusted efficiency where SC is 45th. It’s appears to be agnostic of opponent. So it helps to beat the hell out of teams when you can.

No understands Team Value Index bc it’s not public. But it’s obviously an automated calculation.
Ben Howland understood it.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login