NET update 2/1

DawgatAuburn

Apr 25, 2006

Tweeted some thoughts on the NET but I know not everyone here uses that platform. Here they are.

NET thoughts: * Good news is we jumped 4 spots to #50. Bad news is we jumped Utah, who is now #51. That makes our win over them a Q2 win, not Q1. * Today we are 2-5 in Q1, wins over TCU & Marquette. Losses Bama X2, UT X2, at Auburn. * Remaining Q1 games: at Arkansas, at Mizzou

* We are 1-3 in Q2. The win is Utah on a neutral. Losses are home to Florida, at UGA and Drake on a neutral. * Remaining Q2 games: Mizzou this Saturday, Kentucky, at Ole Miss, TAMU, at Vandy * Kentucky is 33rd, so that could turn into a Q1 game if they move into the top 30.

* Rebels are 121. As much as I enjoy them losing, we need them to stay above 135 to keep our home win in Q2. * UGA is 113. Need them to stay above 135. * We have no losses in Q3/Q4. Important to keep it that way. * LSU at home is a Q3 game. * So Carolina at home is a Q4 game.

In summary: * Win every game. * If we lose, lose in Q1/Q2, not Q3/Q4. * Hope Kentucky moves up enough to be a Q1 game. * Same with Utah. * Ole Miss win stays in Q2. * UGA loss stays in Q2. This one is sneaky important.

DawgatAuburn

Apr 25, 2006
It's listed, but I the home game with them will be Q2 unless they make a pretty big jump into the top 30. They are currently 44.

trob115

Jul 5, 2011
Saturday's game looms large. A win on Saturday, and we are probably around 45 in the net. We cannot afford a loss. We would most likely be projected in the tournament with a win.

If we knock off Mizz, we then would have another huge opportunity against LSU on Wednesday. Basically here on out remains important for tournament chances.
The only games we could afford to lose are Kentucky, @mizz, or @arky. An 8-10 SEC record would most likely have us in the tournament comfortably. If we finish 9-9, we could be as high as a 5 or 6 seed.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
The NET parameters are a little confusing but for those who are uncertain:

Q1: Home 1-30, Away 1-75, Neutral 1-50
Q2: Home 31-75, Neutral 51-100, Away 76-135

I won’t dive into Q3 or Q4 but you get the picture. You get rewarded more for winning on the road or at a neutral site. Home wins have to be REALLY good to classify as Q1.

Ideally we need Utah back in the Top 50 and for Kentucky to finish in the Top 30 (they are currently 33) but us also beat them.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
winning at Ark and Mizzou will be our biggest test so far for road win capability

I never gave us a chance against Bama at Bama although it was much closer than we all thought

Last edited:

curseddawgs

Jun 16, 2021
Saturday's game looms large. A win on Saturday, and we are probably around 45 in the net. We cannot afford a loss. We would most likely be projected in the tournament with a win.

If we knock off Mizz, we then would have another huge opportunity against LSU on Wednesday. Basically here on out remains important for tournament chances.
The only games we could afford to lose are Kentucky, @mizz, or @arky. An 8-10 SEC record would most likely have us in the tournament comfortably. If we finish 9-9, we could be as high as a 5 or 6 seed.
I disagree 8-10 has you on the bubble wishing you could replay the Georgia or Drake games. 9-9 has you as a 10 or 9 seed going into the SEC tourney.

DawgatAuburn

Apr 25, 2006
I disagree 8-10 has you on the bubble wishing you could replay the Georgia or Drake games. 9-9 has you as a 10 or 9 seed going into the SEC tourney.
It probably depends on who we lose to. If we finish 8-10 in league, that means we go 6-3 from here on out. The three losses can't include South Carolina or LSU, especially if the Georgia loss ends up falling into Quad 3. If the losses are at Arkansas, at Mizzou and to UK at home, then that means we will have added six wins, but nothing particularly impactful. Beating Mizzou at home and A&M at home would be the strongest two, winning at Vandy and at Ole Miss would be meh, and beating LSU and South Carolina would do nothing at all to help us. They can only hurt.

However if we can pull one of the Q1 wins and trade it for say.... a loss at Vandy, then going 6-3 might look a little better.

It's astounding to me that we are having this discussion on Feb 1. In all honesty, I still think we go 4-5 or 5-4 down the stretch, but regardless, year one for Jans will have been a success.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012

Tweeted some thoughts on the NET but I know not everyone here uses that platform. Here they are.

NET thoughts: * Good news is we jumped 4 spots to #50. Bad news is we jumped Utah, who is now #51. That makes our win over them a Q2 win, not Q1. * Today we are 2-5 in Q1, wins over TCU & Marquette. Losses Bama X2, UT X2, at Auburn. * Remaining Q1 games: at Arkansas, at Mizzou

* We are 1-3 in Q2. The win is Utah on a neutral. Losses are home to Florida, at UGA and Drake on a neutral. * Remaining Q2 games: Mizzou this Saturday, Kentucky, at Ole Miss, TAMU, at Vandy * Kentucky is 33rd, so that could turn into a Q1 game if they move into the top 30.

* Rebels are 121. As much as I enjoy them losing, we need them to stay above 135 to keep our home win in Q2. * UGA is 113. Need them to stay above 135. * We have no losses in Q3/Q4. Important to keep it that way. * LSU at home is a Q3 game. * So Carolina at home is a Q4 game.

In summary: * Win every game. * If we lose, lose in Q1/Q2, not Q3/Q4. * Hope Kentucky moves up enough to be a Q1 game. * Same with Utah. * Ole Miss win stays in Q2. * UGA loss stays in Q2. This one is sneaky important.

Jesus Lord, how bad was that Georgia loss? Ugh. Drake too.

Reactions: onewoof

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
I’m just trying to remind myself that prior to the season, I thought this team might win 12 or 13 games. Like, I seriously thought we had zero chance at even the NIT.

The fact that we’re talking about an NCAA bubble this late into the season speaks volumes for what they’ve accomplished so far

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
Marquette and Drake both had scares last night but held on to get home wins against mediocre teams. Both results very good for us. Need them to keep winning and need Utah to win and get back into the top 50.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
I’m just trying to remind myself that prior to the season, I thought this team might win 12 or 13 games. Like, I seriously thought we had zero chance at even the NIT.

The fact that we’re talking about an NCAA bubble this late into the season speaks volumes for what they’ve accomplished so far
Last year I was just hopeful to win ONE home SEC game

DawgatAuburn

Apr 25, 2006
Update: Utah is a Q1 win again. They jumped us last night so they are 50 and we are 51. So goes the NET roller coaster!

Reactions: Darryl Steight

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
Update: Utah is a Q1 win again. They jumped us last night so they are 50 and we are 51. So goes the NET roller coaster!
Utah hosts Stanford tonight. Stanford is terrible so a loss would knock Utah way out of Q1 territory. Need the Utes to win this one.

Reactions: onewoof

trob115

Jul 5, 2011
SEC tourney means zero. Our net would be in the 30's if we don't lose to OM, LSU, Vandy , and USCe.

DawgatAuburn

Apr 25, 2006
I will take it. I apologize to the Pack and to Chris Jans. I guess we can forget about Utah being a Q1 win now.
Only cost them 5 spots, down to 55. Maybe they can fight their way back to Q1. We also need to realize that we have similar resumes with similar opportunities left on the schedule to improve and thus we may be fighting with them for one of the last at-large spots!

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login