New Assistant AD hire...

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
It looks like it could be a good hire here...

SOURCE: MSU has hired longtime women’s basketball coach Joi Williams as Assistant AD for women’s hoops. She’ll be a good resource for Sam Purcell as a first time head coach.— Robbie Faulk (@robbiefaulk247) April 5, 2022

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
She's Director of Quality Control for Clemson's women's basketball team and was head coach at UCF & prior to that Murray State.

Clemson bio here: Link.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
In the past we hired a good ole boy to get to retirement. I don't think we are reaching out to outsiders just to toss them a retirement bone.

But maybe i'm the idiot and not you.

Requiem For A Dawg

Dec 3, 2008
I don’t follow our athletic department staff closely so forgive my ignorance, but do all sports have an assistant AD specifically assigned to them?

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
I know if we post about it long enough, it'll be a woke hire, bad hire, stupid position, etc.
it's a good hire. Move a long. That program was crashed in the ditch. We're working to improve it.

AROB44

Mar 20, 2008
I know if we post about it long enough, it'll be a woke hire, bad hire, stupid position, etc.
it's a good hire. Move a long. That program was crashed in the ditch. We're working to improve it.

By hiring the 3rd assistant from Louisville?

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
That comment prompted me to look at the staff directory.

So far, Williams and Emerick (who I already knew about) are the only specific-sport assistant ADs.

Maybe other Assistant ADs have responsibility for sports as assigned?

That could be a Rumblings Question...

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008
By hiring the 3rd assistant from Louisville?

He was definitely the 3rd man on the coaching staff behind the HC and associate HC so I guess that technically makes him the 2nd assistant? Anyway, on paper this looks like a weaker hire than NMP, and I'm still not sold that this hire is somehow less risky than Novak just based on the fact that he has recruiting connections but yet we don't know if he can coach his way out of a wet paper sack? You can hire recruiters on a basketball staff but if the head guy can't lead and coach a team you are sunk. Plus, with a new guy coming in I will be surprised if we keep much of any of the current roster. Myah Taylor already on the way out.

Last edited:

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
He was definitely the 3rd man on the coaching staff behind the HC and associate HC so I guess that technically makes him the 2nd assistant? Anyway, on paper this looks like a weaker hire than NMP, and I'm still not sold that this hire is somehow less risky than Novak just based on the fact that he has recruiting connections but yet we don't know if he can coach his way out of a wet paper sack? You can hire recruiters on a basketball staff but if the head guy can't lead and coach a team you are sunk. Plus, with a new guy coming in I will be surprised if we keep much of any of the current roster. Myah Taylor already on the way out.

Novak literally had no recruiting connections and Taylor is no big loss. We won't lose the whole bunch either. Stop being dramatic.

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008
Novak literally had no recruiting connections and Taylor is no big loss. We won't lose the whole bunch either. Stop being dramatic.

Glad you can spout the party line and I hope Purcell works out well but he literally has no HC experience and wasn't even the top assistant at Louisville. You didn't even address those points. No drama for me though because if the WBB team isn't any good I can easily just ignore them. Taylor is a big loss though unless we get some major players out of the portal.

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
Glad you can spout the party line and I hope Purcell works out well but he literally has no HC experience and wasn't even the top assistant at Louisville. You didn't even address those points. No drama for me though because if the WBB team isn't any good I can easily just ignore them. Taylor is a big loss though unless we get some major players out of the portal.

If you think Taylor is a big loss, you obviously don't watch womens basketball and just ***** about it. I hate to lose her, but she wasn't anything special talent wise. We missed on our #1 coach. I saw nothing from Novak to think he was anything special. He lost just about every game the last month of the season and other than an OM win didn't do anything to earn the job out right. You think his NAIA connections help with his recruiting? He was players coach but that's about all. Players liked him. That's not a reason to keep him and our best player coming back shows that. I just know Purcell is a recruiter, and we need players. Vic had no great HC record. Was a primary recruiter at A&M. Bottom line, we can't get worse than the last couple years.

DAWG61

Feb 26, 2008
Our WBB players are returning because of a new assistant AD for WBB hire? Ok

bully12

Sep 2, 2012
If you think Taylor is a big loss, you obviously don't watch womens basketball and just ***** about it. I hate to lose her, but she wasn't anything special talent wise. We missed on our #1 coach. I saw nothing from Novak to think he was anything special. He lost just about every game the last month of the season and other than an OM win didn't do anything to earn the job out right. You think his NAIA connections help with his recruiting? He was players coach but that's about all. Players liked him. That's not a reason to keep him and our best player coming back shows that. I just know Purcell is a recruiter, and we need players. Vic had no great HC record. Was a primary recruiter at A&M. Bottom line, we can't get worse than the last couple years.

Vic was known at A & M, and at Arkansas and other places, as the "Minister of Defense." Vic's reputation was built on teaching defense. He was no doubt a great recruiter everywhere he's ever coached.

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
Vic was known at A & M, and at Arkansas and other places, as the "Minister of Defense." Vic's reputation was built on teaching defense. He was no doubt a great recruiter everywhere he's ever coached.

Yet, as a HC he was known as nothing. He was Blairs right hand man is all. Let's not act like schools were lining up for him.

Reunion Dog

Aug 26, 2012
Dumbo Hemphill for Men’s basketball. Hopefully he will get the ax there AND The Bulldog Club.

militarydog

Nov 9, 2012

Correct. Coach Schaefer was the same “third assistant” at Texas A&M.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login