New Bracketology...

DowntownDawg

May 28, 2007
...has us as a 7 in DC, matched up against West Virginia and presumably Xavier (the 2 seed).

A revenge laden bracket. I really like that one.

Bracketology

DowntownDawg

May 28, 2007
...has us as a 7 in DC, matched up against West Virginia and presumably Xavier (the 2 seed).

A revenge laden bracket. I really like that one.

Bracketology

Mag51

Aug 16, 2007
OMG ... I would love that bracket, throw in Bradley and it would be perfect.

Aug 30, 2006
I don't. DC is practically a home game for WVU. It would be another classic game of us as a higher seed playing a lower seed in their backyard. If we get by WVU, Xavier would be another tough game. I could see the guys getting up to beat WVU in a revenge game, but none of the current team has any recollection of the Xavier game so revenge would be a non-factor. Just my take. It may be way off as I don't know much about the strengths or weaknesses of either team.

Stormrider81

May 1, 2006
Quote:_________________________________________________DC is practically a home game for WVU_________________________________________________
It is?

From a fan standpoint, I'd love to knock off Xavier.

fishwater99

Jun 4, 2007
We win two of our next three games and we area 6 seed in B-ham...

It don't mean anything to look at the ESPN Bracketology right now.
There are alot of games left to be played.

Mag51

Aug 16, 2007
I'm not saying it's a gimme but Xavier as a 2 seed?? By far the weakest of the # 2's (Dook, Texas, Kansas)

MSUCostanza

Jan 10, 2007
Then State should play some "home games" in Nashville, since it is about as far from Starkville to Nashville as it is from Morgantown to DC. Over 200 miles.

Aug 30, 2006
Morgantown is only a 3.5 hour drive. Charleston, the capital, is less than a six hour drive. On top of that, per my WVU buddy, a good portion of WVU grads end up in DC, Baltimore, Philly, & Northern VA since there isn't much in the way of jobs in WV. I have not been to the area personally so I'm basing this comment on info from one of my good friends that grew up there. It is definitely a lot more conducive for WVU fans to get to DC cheaply & easily than it is MSU fans.

diehard4dawgs

May 23, 2006
You would be very surprised at the amount of MSU folks in the DC area. Plus the DC region is already sold out, so the only tickets will be through the schools. Morgantown is about 4 hours from DC, and I guarantee you that very few WVU fans have the connections to get ahold of the corporate tickets. Last year at the NIT final 4, there were several of us that made the trip to NY and I would guess that DC folks made up a fair percentage of the MSU fanbase in attendance. I think DC would be a pretty good showing of MSU fans as far as tournament sites go.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Dallas' Texas fan population with D.C.'s West Virginia fan population?

I don't know the stats, but I'd think that is not even close to being similar.

G

Goat Holder

on the couch burners in the DC area.

Edit, already did.

MSUCostanza

Jan 10, 2007
there are definitely as many WVU fans in Washington DC as there are Texas fans in Dallas. Are you freaking kidding me?? There are probably 1+ million UT fans in the Dallas area, if not more.

Idiotic comparison from a great source - one guy.

Besides, the whole idea of the pod system is to get the HIGHER seeds closer to their fans. Not the fans of the 7 vs 10 game. If anyone should be complaining, it should be Xavier fans. As a 2 seed, they should be playing a helluva lot closer to Cincinnati than Washington DC. Although, I dunno, maybe there are half a million Xavier alums in the DC area.

Aug 30, 2006
I'm typing this slowly so everyone hopefully gets it. I'm comparing the proximity of Austin & Dallas to Morgantown & DC. I'm fully aware that DC has a massive mixture of colleges represented. I'm fully aware of the Texas bias in Dallas since I live in DFW. My point was the proximity of WVU to DC. Compared to MSU, that matchup is in their backyard. They would easily get 65% plus of the tickets for the game. There are plenty of WVU grads in DC & the surrounding areas I'm quite certain. Also, I'm quite certain that there would be enough corporate connections for them to have an easy majority of fans. If I turn out to be wrong, fine. I doubt I will be though if this scenario plays out.

1984Dawg

Feb 23, 2008
The top 4 seeds are supposed to be "protected" in the 1st 2 rounds. Mainly due to the fuss over games like MSU @ Texas in previous years. 7 seeds are not protected, and shouldn't be.

MSUCostanza

Jan 10, 2007
The 7 seed isn't supposed to be close to home. You are comparing apples to telephones or something.

When we played UT in Dallas, we were supposed to be protected in the new "pod system" as one of the top 4 seeds in the region. We obviously weren't.

As a 7 seed, the committee doesn't care where we or our opponent are in relation to our hometowns.

As I said, Xavier would have a big gripe being sent to DC as a 2 seed since they are supposed to be closer to home as one of the top 4.

benatmsu

May 28, 2007
Bmac and I are coming to stay in your hotel room with you and the Mrs.

G

Goat Holder

Quote:_________________________________________________If I turn out to be wrong, fine_________________________________________________
Germans.

Aug 30, 2006
My point was not that we should be protected as a 7 seed per se. It was simply that we would be in a location that would favor the 10 seed we would match up against in terms of proximity to their campus and most likely the bulk of their fan base. I agree we shouldn't be protected. I also don't think a 10 seed should get to play so damn close to home.

diehard4dawgs

May 23, 2006
Not to be uppity, but I will guarantee you that while there are many WVU fans in the DC area, very, very few of them are alums with corporate connections that go beyond working at the loading dock. You should not be concerned with WVU having a home court advantage at the Verizon Center.

NutherT

Oct 14, 2007
We learned that over 1/3 of WVU students are from Maryland or New Jersey. Trust me, WVU is more of an "eastern seaboard" university than many of you are giving it credit for.

That's what makes WVU such a terrible place. You mix Jersey/Maryland reject guido douchebags with three-eyed cromagnon appalachian coal children, and you get the worst that the land of the free, home of the brave has to offer. A race of people so confused, so misguided, so insular...oooh....it sends a cold chill down my spine.

FQDawg

May 1, 2006
Quote:_________________________________________________That's what makes WVU such a terrible place. You mix Jersey/Maryland reject guido douchebags with three-eyed cromagnon appalachian coal children, and you get the worst that the land of the free, home of the brave has to offer. A race of people so confused, so misguided, so insular... oooh....it sends a cold chill down my spine. _________________________________________________

G

Goat Holder

especially since we have been pwn3d by their athletic programs recently.

Aug 30, 2006
on the concentration of WVU alums outside of the state. Still, at least half of the state is within easy driving distance of DC. However, my concern has less basis than I imagined. So be it.

ChatGPT

Apr 24, 2006
Highest concentration of WVU graduates in Mississippi?

Oktibbeha

We know who one of them is.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Wineburger was saying that it wasn't an advantage for Texas to play in Dallas. Every caller that hour called in to tell him he was a moron.

NutherT

Oct 14, 2007
you have over 7K in MD, over 9K in VA.

The vast majority of those are in the greater DC metro area, Arlington, Alexandria, Fairfax, Loudon, Prince Georges, Montgomery, Anne Arundel, and Baltimore Counties.

So we're talking well over 10K within less than an hour from DC. Add in wives and <17>ed up children, and you've got a load of retards on your hands if we land in DC.

diehard4dawgs

May 23, 2006
Still though, they will not be able to get tickets. I am in no way saying that WVU fans would not outnumber MSU fans, but it will not be anywhere near being overwhelming or a home court advantage. This thing sold out a long time ago.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Exactly. The difference between West Virginia in DC and Texas in Dallas is that very few of the presold tickets / corporate tickets were bought by WVU fans like most all of the Texas presold / corporate tickets were.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login