New Bracketology

MSUCostanza

Jan 10, 2007
isn't anywhere on there. Kentucky. They still have lots of work to do.

I think we could hang with Memphis, and I'd love to get a shot at them.

PineGroveBully

Nov 13, 2007
Yea your right, UAB barely stayed within ONE of them. They are beatable. Half the board was saying last week that they would like their chances in the bracket with them when they were undefeated and now that they have lost you all the sudden think it wouldnt even be close.

VegasDawg13

Jun 11, 2007
Quote:_________________________________________________Half the board was saying last week that they would like their chances in the bracket with them when they were undefeated_________________________________________________
And I wasn't one of them.

We don't play smart enough to beat a team like Memphis. They want to come out and see who has the best players, and we would play into that and they would beat us. I still think they are the worst 1-seed for us to be matched up with.

However, I don't think we're going to end up as an 8 or 9 anyway. We're going 2-0 this week.

Agentdog

Aug 16, 2006
At the Hump, we might hang with Memphis. On a neutral court in the NCAAs, they kill us. I would have loved to face them in 1996.

Hate to be the wet blanket. But just getting there (NCAAs) will be an acomplishment for this team considering how they started. IF.....IF they win one game post season, I will be surprised.

jakldawg

May 1, 2006
I'd like to play Kansas, for no other reason than their history of underperforming in the tourney. But then again, we've done the same thing, only at a lower level.
Another projection has us in as the perennial overachieving #12 Seed.
www.warrennolan.com/basketball/2008/projection/
(and they have Ole Miss as a 10, so...)

Hanmudog

Apr 30, 2006
There is no way in hell that Ole Miss makes the NCAA tourney. They still have a good shot at finishing last in the West.

TnDawg76

Feb 17, 2008
and UNC is a #1 they will put us in the same bracket for an interesting 2nd round matchup between the Hans-bros?

patdog

May 28, 2007
I don't think that will be a consideration of the selection committee. Few people outside of Mississippi know who Ben Hansbrough is. Heck, I have a co-worker who is from North Carolina and a huge Tar Heel's fan who had no idea that Tyler even had a brother until I told him a month or so ago. And he's lived in Mississippi for a few years now.

Hanmudog

Apr 30, 2006
Uh, I have read articles on the Hansbrough brothers in ESPN the Magazine, Sports Illustrated, and on ESPN online. I think word is already out.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Do you remember every random article you read from those sources? My point is, despite what many of us think, Ben is nowhere near being a marquee player. I'm sure most people outside of Mississippi may remember that Tyler has a brother playing somewhere if anything at all.

It's not like the NCAA tournament is going to be hurting for viewers without a Tyler-Ben matchup.

saltybulldog

Nov 15, 2005
Unless he does not tune in to a single basketball game in the state of MS or read any local newspapers.

He may not have ever heard his name...Its hard for "Tyler's brother" or "the younger brother of the soon-to-be NCAA player of the year".

Hanmudog

Apr 30, 2006
I never said Ben was a "marquee player" or even insinuated that he was. However, he is not toiling in obscurity either. The fact that he is Tyler's brother has been covered ad nauseum by several national sources and mentioned during just about every highlight shown for MSU.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I think he watches a lot of North Carolina basketball and maybe some of the national teams, but he apparently doesn't give a **** about the local schools or read the paper. But yeah, he's a huge college basketball fan (and knows a lot more about the ACC and national teams than I do) and didn't even know Tyler had a brother until last month.

ram124

Oct 10, 2007
I don't feel good about us as an 8 or a 9. I'd rather be a 10-12, and obviously I'm hoping that we win 3 more and grab a 7 or maybe a 6.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Quote:_________________________________________________mentioned during just about every highlight shown for MSU. _________________________________________________
And we all know how many people nationally tune in for those highlights.

I probably overstated it when I said nobody outside of Mississippi had even heard of Ben, but I really don't think he's that big of a deal nationally. Certainly not enough for the selection committee to rig the draw so MSU and UNC play each other.

SLUdog

May 28, 2007
but I'd take this bracket right now. Memphis is really good but their record is inflated from playing in c-usa.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Quote:_________________________________________________he's a huge college basketball fan (and knows a lot more about the ACC and national teams than I do) and didn't even know Tyler had a brother until last month. _________________________________________________

pretty sure he isnt a huge college basketball fan, just a huge UNC/ACC homer. if he even casually reads ESPN the Mag, SI, or this wonderful internet thing, he would have heard about the brotherly connection.

apparently the guy isnt a big message board lover cuz the UNC boards were all over the brotherly connection when Tyler was being recruited. they were rumored to be looking for an offer from a school for both brothers at the time.
and i guess he hasnt ever just read Tyler's UNC bio because it kinda mentions Ben.
lets not forget the countless UNC televised games where they have talked about Tyler's dad in the stands, then follow that into a talk about the family(older brother's handicap, Ben, the Mom being a beauty queen, etc).

but yeah, im sure he is a huge college basketball fan and a huge UNC fan.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Surprisingly, a lot of people don't give a **** about reading old news in SI or ESPN the Mag (I haven't read either one in years unless I'm in my dentist's waiting room - even then I usually go with People magazine). And, almost as surprisingly, there's at least one person at my office who doesn't spend all day on a sports message board.

I'm just saying the guy knows who UNC is recruiting in football and basketball, how many stars they are, who else is recruiting them, etc (maybe he does spend at least some time on sports message boards) and didn't know that Tyler's brother played for MSU until I told him.

Optimus Prime 4

May 1, 2006
to or watches every game. He said he had heard Tyler had a brother, but had no idea he was at state. He only knew he existed because his name came up on the Rivals site a couple times when lil bro was a senior in high school.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Thanks OP4. Some people have a very inflated view of how the rest of the country sees UM and MSU. The fact the rest of the country, even on networks that specialize in sports and show a lot of college sports, can't even tell us apart should give then a clue.

Todd04State

May 2, 2006
I'd like a shot at Memphis. We may not win, but I think we might match up decently with them. I think the key would be Barry Stewart and how he matches up with Douglas-Roberts.

We would need everyone to bring their A-game.

Frances Drebin

Nov 16, 2005
Barry Stewart wouldn't match up with Douglas-Roberts. Stans would play zone all day against Memphis, and it would be the right thing to do. My concern would be how we would score against them.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login