New bubble watch...

G

Goat Holder

They seem to play well when they have something to play for. Win, you're in. Lose, you're out. I don't think they make it though.

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
They're 8-5 against teams with RPI over 100. That's tough to overcome.

patdog

May 28, 2007
3 wins won't be enough for Mississippi. They've got to get at least 4 and possibly 5 more wins to make the NCAAT.

Oxford Godfrey

May 29, 2007
To basically be exactly where we were last year, but to have totally lost hope in the last two weeks only to have the professionals tell us mathetmatically there is hope.

RebelBruiser

Aug 21, 2007
I agree. The last thing I need is a reason to have hope for this basketball team. They need to go ahead and get blasted tomorrow night so I can turn my focus completely toward baseball.

With my luck, they'll beat Arkansas, squeak by Georgia for an improbable road win and then go 1-1 in the SEC tourney. It'd be enough to make me have to watch the selection show, but not enough to get us in, and it would waste 2 more weeks of my time being concerned with our basketball team.

OMlawdog

Feb 27, 2008
The fact that we lost at home to SC and AU at home, is just inexcuseable, and I don't think we deserve to get in at this point.

I dont think it matters anyway, because we aren't going to win on the road at UGA.

DowntownDawg

May 28, 2007
finals. I'm not sure who they'd have to go through, but Arkansas had a first round bye last year, and Ole Miss won't.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Arkasas didn't get a bye last year. MSU and UM tied for the West title and got the byes. Arkansas finished 1 game back in 3rd place. They beat USC, Vandy and MSU before losing to Florida in the finals.

RebelBruiser

Aug 21, 2007
First off, Arky didn't have a bye. They had to win 3 games to get to the final. They were the 3 seed in the West. If we won our last 2 games, we'd be the 3 seed in the West with the same conference record. We'd have a shot to make it by winning 2 games, but probably would need to win 3.

If it played out this way (it won't), we'd beat Arkansas and UGA. Then in the SEC tourney as the 3 seed, we'd play UGA again (6 seed from the East). Win that, and we'd likely get Kentucky. Tough draw, but without Patrick Patterson would be winnable. Then we'd likely get MSU in the semifinals, possibly Florida if they pulled the upset. It's not impossible, but given the erratic play of our team, it's next to impossible to think that we could play well for 4 or 5 games in a row.

DowntownDawg

May 28, 2007
...and I say that only to get your hopes up.

Seriously, it's doable. The bad thing about the Arkansas game is that they really need it, too. And as far as your SEC tourney bracket, I could make a case for Ole Miss losing every one of those matchups (Georgia - tough to beat a team twice in their home state in a week, Kentucky - home court advantage, State/Florida - State is better, and Florida may very well be), but I could also make the case for Ole Miss winning those games.

It'll be an interesting week. You know, the NCAA tournament most of the time works itself out. If you can't win the next two, you definitely don't deserve a bid.

RebelBruiser

Aug 21, 2007
I'm with you. I think we can and might beat Arkansas this week, but we won't be UGA twice. They are not a good basketball team, but we won't beat them back to back. And even if we did, we'd be playing UK in Catlanta. With or without Patterson, they will likely be playing for their NCAA lives as well. I wouldn't like those chances either.

Trust me, I don't have my hopes up. If we play as well as we can, sure we could reel off 4 or 5 in a row, but I know we won't play as well as we can for 4 or 5 games in a row. We have a hard enough time playing at the top of our game for 4 or 5 minutes straight.

Stormrider81

May 1, 2006
they had just underacheived all SEC season long. They should have won the West. They had no business going 7-9. That run wasn't far fetched at all.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login