New helmets this week?

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Script Kill Count GIF by Dead Meat James

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
Meh. We have a logo we've been identified with for over 20 years. If we're going to go with anything else, it needs to be a real upgrade. This just isn't. Also, not a fan of white helmets at any time.
I too have PTSD related to the croom years, but I have softened a bit on the white helmets.

POTUS

Sep 29, 2022
I love when we go all white. Should do it once or twice a year, at either A&M, Bama or Arkansas.

Reactions: was21

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
What does everyone hate the banner M? Is it just the Croom association? I like all white kits with maroon stripes and accents.

BingleCocktail

May 25, 2014
What does everyone hate the banner M? Is it just the Croom association? I like all white kits with maroon stripes and accents.
if we put as much dollars and effort in more important things in our program OTHER THAN LOGOS and DESIGNS over the last 60 years, we could be having more win success on the competition battlefields

instead let’s focus on fonts, colors, and other @&$) that is incremental in value

pisses me off

AMEN

STATEgrad04

Mar 3, 2008
I think we really ought to use the script State more. It is highly/easily recognizable in part due to baseball, and it looks so much better on shirts/polos/hats. Aggies, Gators, and OM use a script and it is a clean/classic look.

Reactions: WilCoDawg

ArcherSPS

Aug 22, 2012
if we put as much dollars and effort in more important things in our program OTHER THAN LOGOS and DESIGNS over the last 60 years, we could be having more win success on the competition battlefields

instead let’s focus on fonts, colors, and other @&$) that is incremental in value

pisses me off

AMEN
Yeah we should just come out in comic sans M-State****

MagicDawg

Nov 11, 2010
Unpopular opinions below:

I do not like the Croom multi-ruffled banner M. That level of fine detail in a modern logo is asking for trouble. It doesn't look good on a screen, or embroidered, etc. I liked the attempt but those ruffles are junk.

The revised banner M is a good, solid logo. Nothing wrong with it, but nothing particularly GREAT about it either. It's okay, all things considered. It is definitely functional for all media -- print, embroidery, on screen, graphics, etc. It's versatile and reproduces in a lot of situations. The lettering does require a certain size to be cleanly reproduced, but it's not nearly as bad as the tiny detail on those ruffles.

The interlocking MSU logo(s) - frankly, they always seemed relatively uninspired to me. "Hey, let's link the letters together!" But I get that they have nostalgic attraction. They're fine but I don't think they're the pinnacle that others do. And I really prefer pushing "Mississippi State" or "State" more than just "MSU" for branding purposes.

If our team had achieved more success during the space race years, the Flying-M might have gotten more traction. I love that logo because of the application not just to the athletics, but to the university's overall achievement/stature/positioning. Love my Flying-M cap!

I think the script State is fun and all, and it will definitely be exciting if that (or interlocking MSU) shows up on the helmet, but it absolutely feels like someone just tried fonts on Word until one looked okay and then made it maroon. "Hey, look, another logo!" There's nothing really distinctive about it.

Whatever comes next needs to be at least as good and versatile as the revised banner M-State.

FQDawg

May 1, 2006

pisses me off

AMEN
This is a dumb reason to be pissed off. The fact that we've had graphic designers do work for us over the years (either hired or in-house) has beyond nothing to do with our performance on the field or on the court in any sport. Even if it did in theory, and we'd not spent any of that money on design work and instead put it all in the [pick your own sport] budget, it wouldn't come close to being a meaningful sum compared to what that program's total budget is.

So, the idea that spending money on changing logos or fonts or whatever over the years has in any way hampered our in-game performance is nonsensical.

BingleCocktail

May 25, 2014
This is a dumb reason to be pissed off. The fact that we've had graphic designers do work for us over the years (either hired or in-house) has beyond nothing to do with our performance on the field or on the court in any sport. Even if it did in theory, and we'd not spent any of that money on design work and instead put it all in the [pick your own sport] budget, it wouldn't come close to being a meaningful sum compared to what that program's total budget is.

So, the idea that spending money on changing logos or fonts or whatever over the years has in any way hampered our in-game performance is nonsensical.
so fiscal management is unimportant to you?

patdog

May 28, 2007
Unpopular opinions below:

I do not like the Croom multi-ruffled banner M. That level of fine detail in a modern logo is asking for trouble. It doesn't look good on a screen, or embroidered, etc. I liked the attempt but those ruffles are junk.

The revised banner M is a good, solid logo. Nothing wrong with it, but nothing particularly GREAT about it either. It's okay, all things considered. It is definitely functional for all media -- print, embroidery, on screen, graphics, etc. It's versatile and reproduces in a lot of situations. The lettering does require a certain size to be cleanly reproduced, but it's not nearly as bad as the tiny detail on those ruffles.

The interlocking MSU logo(s) - frankly, they always seemed relatively uninspired to me. "Hey, let's link the letters together!" But I get that they have nostalgic attraction. They're fine but I don't think they're the pinnacle that others do. And I really prefer pushing "Mississippi State" or "State" more than just "MSU" for branding purposes.

If our team had achieved more success during the space race years, the Flying-M might have gotten more traction. I love that logo because of the application not just to the athletics, but to the university's overall achievement/stature/positioning. Love my Flying-M cap!

I think the script State is fun and all, and it will definitely be exciting if that (or interlocking MSU) shows up on the helmet, but it absolutely feels like someone just tried fonts on Word until one looked okay and then made it maroon. "Hey, look, another logo!" There's nothing really distinctive about it.

Whatever comes next needs to be at least as good and versatile as the revised banner M-State.
Pretty much spot on with that. The Flying-M helmet we wore a couple of years ago was a disappointment though. It didn't look nearly as good as I thought it would.

Reactions: MagicDawg

FQDawg

May 1, 2006
so fiscal management is unimportant to you?
So you've moved on from arguing that new graphic design affects on-field performance to it being fiscal mismanagement?

That's another dumb statement but I'll respond to it anyway: Paying someone to refresh a brand (i.e. design new logos, fonts, graphics, etc...) is a completely normal thing for any business/organization/entity to do and is in no way fiscal mismanagement. As I said above, the amount we've paid for design work over the years is negligible compared to what our athletic budget is.

And, again, changing our graphics/logos/whatever every so often has no bearing on on-field performance.

No one says you have to like the logos/designs we use. And it's fine to have the opinion that we should pick one and stick with it for a while. But you're grasping at some real tiny straws to find reasons not to change up our visual identity from time to time.

Reactions: DesotoCountyDawg

BingleCocktail

May 25, 2014
So you've moved on from arguing that new graphic design affects on-field performance to it being fiscal mismanagement?

That's another dumb statement but I'll respond to it anyway: Paying someone to refresh a brand (i.e. design new logos, fonts, graphics, etc...) is a completely normal thing for any business/organization/entity to do and is in no way fiscal mismanagement. As I said above, the amount we've paid for design work over the years is negligible compared to what our athletic budget is.

And, again, changing our graphics/logos/whatever every so often has no bearing on on-field performance.

No one says you have to like the logos/designs we use. And it's fine to have the opinion that we should pick one and stick with it for a while. But you're grasping at some real tiny straws to find reasons not to change up our visual identity from time to time.
so visual identity consistency is unimportant to you?

wsjmsu75

Sep 29, 2017
I do too. Hopefully, they won't be wearing maroon trousers this week.
I have always liked the white pants and jersey with maroon helmets on the road. I agree I hate the maroon pants on the road. Helmets should always be maroon, home and away.

Reactions: FloodDawg

BingleCocktail

May 25, 2014

you sound bitter. are you bitter?

Sep 7, 2007
Yes, that Croom association of futility, as well as the fact that it was always the basketball logo before he adopted it.

That older version Croom’s teams wore always looked like the Purina logo from a distance on TV. Terrible helmet.

Reactions: BigDawg0074

Poppy IV

Nov 24, 2016
I personally wish we would put a white stripe down the middle of the maroon helmet. We must distinguish ourselves from the damn Aggies. We must build our own consistent brand.

Reactions: FloodDawg

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
I agree. I don't know why, but that helmet has always appealed to me, as well. Must be generational and of an era that was big we the Engineering program had a lot of aerospace research, NASA collaborations, etc.

Reactions: MagicDawg
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login