New Orleans Breakers

SyonaraStanz

Mar 5, 2010
I’ve tuned in twice and watched very little in those games. My biggest takeaway is the stands are nearly completely empty. This won’t last long.

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
What’s the deal with all these failed football leagues. Every sort of non-NFL league in the US seems to tank hard. Maybe arena was an exception for a while. Is there some financial angle that make people go back to it?

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
I think viewership is higher than expected. But the talent level is about equivalent to the 4th quarter of the last NFL exhibition game of preseason.

Bill Shankly

Nov 27, 2020
Has anyone tried to watch much USFL ? It is terrible football. Bama would crush any of these teams.
I was in Birmingham a couple of weeks ago while the Indy Car race stuff was going on. We were staying at a hotel where a couple off the Indy Car teams were staying. As I was getting off the elevator one morning one of the team people asked another one if they really went to the football game the night before. The person said they did. When asked if it was any good the response was "Terrible, high school game."

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
Birmingham is hosting every single game this season, I assume for cost saving reasons. So why would anyone want to go see Houston play Pittsburgh in Birmingham? Next year, if the league makes it another year, the plan is for each team to play in their home city.

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011
I’ve tuned in twice and watched very little in those games. My biggest takeaway is the stands are nearly completely empty. This won’t last long.

I accidentally turned to the game this after noon, and noticed the stands were virtually empty - maybe 200 people all around. Probably more on the field than there were in the stands.

But there seemed to be crowd noise. Are they pumping in fake noise over the speakers?

Bulldog from Birth

Jan 23, 2007
The USFL attendance and viewership here is EXACTLY what college football would look like if you took away the college connection, the campus experience, etc. That’s why this NIL charade frustrates me so much. The student athletes, even the best ones, are driving almost none of the value in the college football proposition. It’s the connection to the school, pride in all the fans’ own universities, etc.

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
Here's my suggestion to make non-NFL football work:

1. Only play in cities that don't have any professional sports teams at all. I realize they're all playing in Birmingham for this season anyway, but the plan is to branch out to the cities they're named after, and 7 of the 8 already have an NFL team. Same for the XFL and AAC, almost all in cities that already have teams.

2. Better yet, they shouldn't be in cities that think they deserve a team. Nobody in San Antonio or St. Louis is going to get wrapped up in a second-tier football team because they think they deserve the NFL. How's this for an 8-team league: Birmingham, Omaha, Des Monies, Providence, Charleston, Norfolk, Louisville, and Hartford. Most of those are top 50 metro areas in the US, and none worse than #82, all of them are big enough to get into a team, but aren't too good for a second tier team, because none of those cities realistically expect to host an NFL franchise anyway.

3. Allocate teams by college so that every college fanbase has an easy go-to team to cheer for. Imagine if all of the MSU guys were playing on the same team.

4. Embrace gambling/betting hard. Let people do real-time prop bets from the seats, etc.

msstate7

Nov 27, 2008
Here's my suggestion to make non-NFL football work:

1. Only play in cities that don't have any professional sports teams at all. I realize they're all playing in Birmingham for this season anyway, but the plan is to branch out to the cities they're named after, and 7 of the 8 already have an NFL team. Same for the XFL and AAC, almost all in cities that already have teams.

2. Better yet, they shouldn't be in cities that think they deserve a team. Nobody in San Antonio or St. Louis is going to get wrapped up in a second-tier football team because they think they deserve the NFL. How's this for an 8-team league: Birmingham, Omaha, Des Monies, Providence, Charleston, Norfolk, Louisville, and Hartford. Most of those are top 50 metro areas in the US, and none worse than #82, all of them are big enough to get into a team, but aren't too good for a second tier team, because none of those cities realistically expect to host an NFL franchise anyway.

3. Allocate teams by college so that every college fanbase has an easy go-to team to cheer for. Imagine if all of the MSU guys were playing on the same team.

4. Embrace gambling/betting hard. Let people do real-time prop bets from the seats, etc.

Not bad

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Absence makes the heart grow fonder. It will never work now that the NFL and NCAA football have wall to wall coverage year round. USFL worked back in the day when football wasn't on TV 24/7 like it is now.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
What’s the deal with all these failed football leagues. Every sort of non-NFL league in the US seems to tank hard. Maybe arena was an exception for a while. Is there some financial angle that make people go back to it?

Well nobody really cares about any professional sports leagues outside the Big 4. Its not just football.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login